slotperfect

Opinions Please - Brightest Canopy Color?

John,

Like you, I have done Demos for many years. One of the reasons I choose “Neon” orange as my primary color was for visibility to the crowd. It is my belief that the orange and the “Neon” green are the most visible in all conditions.

A little history:

I was a Firefighter for 30 years. I retired as a Captain. Many years ago I worked with a Battalion Chief for the City of New York on a study funded by NFPA. If you stop and think you will remember seeing Fire Truck painted a puck green, baby shit yellow combination. This is called “High Visibility Yellow” and is the color that came out of that study. After 4 years of study it was determined that this “High Visibility Yellow” is the most visible color to the human eye in all lighting conditions. An amusing aside to this study was the discovery that “Fire Engine Red”, yes that is a color, became almost invisible to the human eye in poor lighting condition. I.E. night time. What is amazing is that very few Departments were willing to make a change to this proven color for safety.

Michael
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

One of the reasons I choose “Neon” orange as my primary color was for visibility to the crowd.

What were the 'other' reasons?! :P

Someone did a similar study to the one you mention when I was in college...and the outcome was as you mentioned, for a single color.

However...a combination of contrasting colors, especially spaced in a specific manner, proved to be even MORE visible at a greater distance and in more variable lighting conditions.

The color and spacing / size that seemed to correlate best with a parachute was a bright red and black combination with two cells of each color next to each other.

That being said....;)

Attaching a lotta smoke and fireworks to your body also seems to attract attention ~
. . .even from the most casual observer! B|:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In PD ZP fabric colors; Lemon and Watermelon are blindingly bright. Cool bit on my Samurai is that I had it done with different color top/bottom skins on different cells, so I have variations of color using only Lemon and Watermelon. The watermelon air-valves in a lemon body, give a gradient shading from front/back and a screaming red leading edge that is hard to miss if you're heading at me.

I like it a lot! :D
Color on those airlocks really make a difference. Wow!
:)But I like those colors anyway so I`m biased...

However, I read that Watermelon color is one of the worst colors considering UV resistance.

dudeist skydiver #42

Here's some front shots. While the outside bottom cells look orange, they're really just lime, but with the watermelon top skin, the light shining through makes it look orange.

On the shot from the top, you can just barely see the red airlocks extending back into the nose.

Pictures are taken from the ground, long zoom, so a little fuzzy.