Megatron

RSL

No one can beat an RSL.

That's not true either. Sure you can.

But you know what? We're just arguing semantics here. All I am asking is that with your thought process (and I absolutely respect your ability to think, choose, and even disagree) - you at least use the right analogies, and anecdotes with your logic & reasonings for your position/decisions.

...He said basically that if he had a problem and didn’t have the time (Too Low) to pull the RSL disconnect, Then he most likely needed the RSL.

Okay, fine. Another anecdote. I don't disagree with this, and actually often wonder why anybody (especially who is an RSL proponent in the 1st place) would then try to reason, and use this anecdote as one supporting their "pro-RSL" position anyway. After all, if you have already chosen that usage of an RSL is RIGHT FOR YOU - why would you then start reasoning that you need to disconnect it once you have opened, and then take AWAY any chance of it being there (defeating it) right when if anything else happened - you are right, by that logic - the RSL proponent would then "need" it most? :S

That supports your argument via illustrating an illogic, and is a contradiction in terms. Especially to the RSL proponent. But I am not one of those. My counter or argument for that statement would be: If you are worried about the need to disconnect it in such scenario, then why did you even have it connected in the 1st place? See?

Where you're apparently big on analogies and anecdotes, here's one for you:

All an RSL does for you (by pulling the reserve pin on a chop NO MATTER WHAT) is TAKE AWAY YOUR OPTIONS.

Again - I absolutely respect your right to make YOUR DECISION, however is BEST FOR YOU. However, please know and FULLY consider what basis' you are making that decision upon is all. And then also respect other people's abilities to make their own decisions, based upon their own experience, perspectives and personal needs/desires with this too.

Again - Choosing to jump without an RSL is not death on a stick. Neither is jumping with one necessarily either. If both such choosing jumpers have made their choices with full (and ACCURATE) information and basis' for their decisions, and further with full AWARENESS I will agree - of what the trade-off's may be, and as to potential consequences to each of their decisions.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Just curious as to why you can't use an rsl if your shooting video? Probably something obvious but I'm drawing a blank?

:

Old school camera helmets had a lot of snag points. Sometimes these snag points snagged deploying mains and created malfunctions (eg. Robin Sutherland), making it more difficult to cutaway.

Ergo, old-school cameramen wanted to be able to release their (malfunctioning) mains, remove their helmets, THEN deploy their reserves.

Just curious as to why you can't use an rsl if your shooting video? Probably something obvious but I'm drawing a blank?

:

Old school camera helmets had a lot of snag points. Sometimes these snag points snagged deploying mains and created malfunctions (eg. Robin Sutherland), making it more difficult to cutaway.

Ergo, old-school cameramen wanted to be able to release their (malfunctioning) mains, remove their helmets, THEN deploy their reserves.

I saw a picture of an entanglement posted on here somewhere. The ring site looked like it was several inches away from where the guys face would be, and there was about a foot of extra rod sticking up above the ringsite mount. My friend Stan knew a guy that wanted to take stills so he mounted a polaroid camera on his helmet, and built a tray on the front to catch the pictures, this was a long time ago. People do crazy stuff.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Airtwardo, while I admitt that it is 4:00 am, and maybe I'm not thinking straight but I can't for the life of me come up with an answer to my question.

So here goes:
How does having an RSL or not having an RSL change anything in your EPs?

After I decide to cutaway, I look right, pull right, look left, pull left. With or without an RSL. Is there more to it than that?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

So here goes:
How does having an RSL or not having an RSL change anything in your EPs?

After I decide to cutaway, I look right, pull right, look left, pull left. With or without an RSL. Is there more to it than that?

Depends on the rest of your gear.

If you're jumping a lot of snag happy stuff like cameras, skysurf boards, flags, pyro or smoke brackets, etc. then yes it could change things. You would want to ensure a clean breakaway with no entanglement between you and the main. For this reason, people jumping this sort of gear usually move their deployment and EP hard decks up for safety.

For most jumpers this is a non issue so there is no change in EP's.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

OK. I understand that jumping the things you mentioned can change your EPs. I also understand, while jumping those things, the desire to jump without the RSL hooked up.

Those items are responsible for the change in EPs.

But how does just the RSL or lack thereof change your EPs?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

All good responses. Here is my choice for the two best:

I have read through this entire thread, some parts twice. It is sad that so many jumpers have such a poor understanding of the gear they wear and how the various components parts work and interact with each other. Most sound like they are repeating what they have heard and have no idea what it means. Skydiving gear is not rocket science. Instead of over thinking it spend time learning just how it works and you will see just how simple it really is.

Sparky

If everyone was always "in control" of the situation, then almost no one would ever die skydiving. AADs and RSLs are for those times when you are not in control.

billbooth

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

I am honored to be mentioned in the same post with the likes of Bill. Thank you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

yeah, from what Ive read a skyhook definitely seems like a more sophisticated system. They are only available on Vectors, right? Is there any way I can get them set up in my voodoo??

Vectors and Javs currently. Talk to Rigging Inovations and ask them if they plan on licensing the SkyHook from Bill Booth.

Bill Booth used to distribute a white paper against RSL's. It maintained that if you had one you had to add a decision on whether or not to disconnect the RSL shackle before you cut away. In other words you had to decide if you wanted the RSL to deploy your reserve or you wanted to fall free and delay.

I rejected this premiss as unreasonable and unworkable. You make the decision on the ground before the jump. Camera jumps, crw jumps, and others might make you decide to disconnect your RSL before the jump. Making that decision during an emergency can only eat up time and altitude.

No, to me having an RSL does not change your emergency procedures. Unless your in a very odd situation where you have both TIME and a REASON to try to disconnect it in the air. Not likely. To me you have to live or die with the decision made on the ground about connecting or disconnecting your RSL. Making a decision to change your emergency procedures in the air is dangerous.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE