jumpjunkie2004

Question for Miltary Guys

I used to sell outdoor clothing and so I hope I can help with this.
You want something fitting to the body. The more air between you and the fabric the less efficient it will be in keeping heat. Under armor is good stuff and there are other things that will work as well. I have some of Marmots medium weight tops that I use under a regular long sleeve shirt and then my jumpsuit. They keep me pretty cozy. I also have a piece from Mt. Hardware that is micro fleece on the inside. I can't remember what it is called. It could be compared to the military stuff probably, but I don't think it is as thick. Think the cost is around $75 for that though. Hey I didn't pay that much for it that is why I have it. Never tried the silks but people swear by them.
Stay away from cotton stuff.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Under Armor is great, but it can be pricey to some people. I love my silk (aka ninjia pj's) thermals and have had no issues yet.

If you aren't concerned about price, Under Armor is the best I've been able to evaluate. I received mine as a gift, but I understand they tend to be anywhere from $40-$60 per piece. I certainly don't notice the cold when I'm wearing them.

Well, I DO have a built-in sweater as well. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

If you find some kind of tech gear you like... you can sometimes find it relatively cheap here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

I agree w/simp... the best method to trap heat is to create a layer that will prevent air flow as close to the skin as possible as stagnent air is a very good insluator.

Is it obvious to anyone else that I'm studying too much right now?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You might want to look at 200 weight polar fleece or 300 wt. but 300 is a bit bulky. Also, the #1 thermal garment is down. Consider a 650 fill power goose down jacket or vest from LLBean, Lands End or Cabelas or others (Outdoor Research, Mammut, REI, The North Face, etc. Cabelas has an underwear top & bottom in down cheap! If you go from a warm environment to a cold (like walk outside) down will blow you away how warm it stays. If you're out in the cold, it will take awhile for your body heat to warm down up, so it seems less impressive, but down's insulating properties are still superior to most synthetics. Do some jumping jacks & pushups in the cold and it will warm up quick.

You're always the starter in your own life!

The poly pros on that site are kinda thick. It would make for a real tight fit if I wore them under my jumpsuit(RW)
I wear silk weight thermals from PolarTech witch are also issued to us.

But yes the thermals on that site are very warm.

I agree, I wear the "Ninja suit" as well. It rocks. Now I just need something to keep my hands warm

I like Beans

Now I just need something to keep my hands warm

That's easy just put them between your thighs, or if you don't want to get your own thighs cold put them between someone elses thighs:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower