skybytch

(x squared + 2y)(x squared -3y)= ??

Today I discovered just how much knowledge you can lose over 20+ years if you aren't using it. I took the assessment tests that are recommended for new students at the local community college.

I aced the reading and writing sections (98 and 95 percent); I still know enough to go directly into freshman comp. I expected that.

I took four years of math in high school - algebra, geometry, algebra II and trig/calc. But now... well, I scored a whopping 70 percent on the math test and get to start with Elementary Algebra. The four years of high school math I took? Gone.

Further proof that I knew what I was talking about when I told my high school math teacher that I'd never use what she was teaching me. :ph34r:

FOIL ---First - outside- inside - last

I feel your pain, Ive failed college algebra twice now :( once it gets to the factoring crap its all out of my head.... if it doesnt correlate to paying bills or buying stuff I have no idea how to do math
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Congrats on starting school again Lisa :)

x^4 -x^2y-6y^2

right? :S

You are correct dirty hippie... So you're not just a hot ass ;)

SWEET! im SMART ASS! :D:D:P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Ain't it a bitch, bytch?! I think I'd be sitting in that elementary algebra classroom with you, and I took a good bit of calculus and whatnot in college. Nope...never used it...except in astronomy, but I never used that either. At least elementary algebra will be an easy A!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Math. Shit. Most worthless subject ever.:D

/Was an abstract math major
//Needed more drugs to make it make sense.

Abstract!?
I was a math minor, wannabe actuary. I got pissed about cal III and descrete structures, and changed it to Comp Sci.:|

I do remember Physics making much more sense in that state. :S God that was a long time ago.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Yeah....and I always did my philosophy papers stoned. Never used that either....lol. :P

linz

I love to talk philosophy when Im drunk! Problem is, I never seem to remember what it is I was going on about! :SB|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Don't worry about your math skills...I'm an engineer and can do algebra, but paying bills and buying stuff I'm apparenlty not so good at. It doesn't seeeeeem hard, but damn if it isn't!

For example, (money i make) - (money i spend) > or = 0. Seems pretty simple right? But despite that, I keep coming up with an equation like this...

(money i make) - (money i spend) + "was that $27.66 downtown last night or $66.27?" = ??? + magic.

and by magic i of course mean, "credit card debt". but i can do calculus!

oh well, if i die tomorrow, look at all the free shit i got!

disclaimer: not a good philosophy to live by...i've heard it said, "The borrower is always servant to the lender"...so Visa / Direct Loan, you would like your ass wiped with quilted or 2-ply?

Don't Be Fooled by the Rocks that I got,

I'm still, I'm still Woolly from the Block

Don't feel too bad... I can do algebra and I can do the problem you have here... but 9 times out of 10 I would pull out my calculator and have it grind through it then to do it myself.

mostly because... it's less likely to make a mistake then I am...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

:o:D

Good luck to ya - as a Comp Sci major I had to take a ton of math. I took college algebra 4 times, no lie (and believe it or not, it wasn't cause I had failed it or anything). By the time I got to Calc II it wasn't totally foreign - I actually got a B in it. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Finals can suck, boy am I glad I don't have to do those anymore!

Good Luck!

Jen
Arianna Frances