tvo7

does skydiving make one sexy?

Hell, when I met my wife for the first time, she thought I was a DORK! :S :D "No way in hell will I ever date him! Yuck!"

Then a mutual friend of ours starts telling her that I skydive. We then have a dinner together, the three of us, and we're telling her stuff about skydiving.

Okay, she seems interested. A few months go by. She finally comes up to me and says "I'd like to try a tandem". I thought, cool... "okay, I'll hook you up with my home DZ, great people there!"

She does it, and lands with an enthusiastic yelp! It just happened that that was the year I was jumping nearly every weekend and hardly ever made time for anything else. I know my roommate told me a few times, "hey, that girl came by to visit you but you were gone skydiving". Finally I give her a call. We set up dinner at her place. It was nice... at the end before I leave, she plants a nice kiss on my lips "that's for taking care of me that day at the drop zone."

It would be another 4 months before I finally got around to asking her out. She was skeptical at first because I didn't chase her before. 3 more months later I get up to going out with her from time to time. Another 2 months I finally get her to fall in love with me, a DORK, of all people.... ;) And the rest is history. Married 5 years and a baby on the way.

So yeah... sometimes skydiving makes one sexy. It's all in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Edited to add: I wasn't the one to tell her that I skydive... that mutual friend brought it up first. So that eliminated the "bragging" aspect on my part... that helps too. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

was with a base jumper once..
when the saga started, i didn't even know what base jumping was...

when i got exposed to the jumping scene, my reaction was more along the lines of "what?! there is a structured way to get into that as a sport?! i want to try it!"

but for what it's worth, a lot of my friends simply referred to him (when he wasn't there) as 'base jumper' and had this illusion of him as being sexy - even before they met him..

so i guess some girls like allure of danger that being a jumper gives a guy. personally, i think this guy would have been just as sexy- jumper or not.

Well, I gotta admit that I do tell the ladies that I skydive.
But, it's more about still being excited about it than trying to impress...most of them don't cater to the idea anyway (read: You must be fucking crazy!) but WTH, I'm only in it for the fun anyway...I hardly qualify for "sexy".

ALTHOUGH!
I do play guitar, too, for any of you ladies that are interested...
:D:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was just wondering if telling a girl you are a skydiver makes you sexier in her eyes?

From one woman's point of view, the answer is an unequivocal "no."

My two criteria for sexy are: a) smart, b) not a narcissist. If you don't fulfill both, in my book, you're a loser, no matter what other sterling qualities you may possess.

The rest of the exercise is left for the reader.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I was just wondering if telling a girl you are a skydiver makes you sexier in her eyes?

From one woman's point of view, the answer is an unequivocal "no."

My two criteria for sexy are: a) smart, b) not a narcissist. If you don't fulfill both, in my book, you're a loser, no matter what other sterling qualities you may possess.

The rest of the exercise is left for the reader.

rl

Damn. That blows my plan "A".

Walt

It is not skydiving that makes you sexy, it is the personality that does. Women will most often like confidence. The way a person, carries themselves is going to be more of a factor thatn anything.

Skydivers cheat death for fun. The population is small for a reason, there will always be something unique about a skydiver. There are people out there who will always wonder, skydivers don't - we know what it is all about......

It is not skydiving that makes you sexy, it is the personality that does. Women will most often like confidence. The way a person, carries themselves is going to be more of a factor thatn anything.

Skydivers cheat death for fun. The population is small for a reason, there will always be something unique about a skydiver. There are people out there who will always wonder, skydivers don't - we know what it is all about......

[woman] So, what do you do for fun?

[me] I cheat death!

That kind of reminds me of the way some guys act in the Holiday Inn bar at Bridge Day. I don't know if any of the women are impressed, but that kind of thing really makes me want to puke!

Walt

i wouldn't say sexier but probly alot more interesting.

I agree. Most people don't have a life of any kind.
Their response is not to develop an interest, but to live vicariously.

Examples -
celebrity magazines. I don't care who Brad Pitt is doing.
sports figures/teams. Talking about "their" team as if they were part owner.
general gossip. Talking about everyone else in the office or their personal life. Mention that you skydive at the office and you become the topic.
fiction. Mimicking fictional characters or discussing them as if real. Soap operas and Star Wars fans come to mind.

It is not skydiving that makes you sexy, it is the personality that does.

That depends.

Because that personality is generally pretty self-centered. And self-centeredness is not especially attractive.

Some of you can be a lot of fun and very interesting the first few months. But what comes afterward seems to be a complete personality change--controlling to some degree but with no real care or concern for the needs or feelings of anyone but yourselves. A kind of "follow along in my wake now" attitude. What's misleading is the kind of attentiveness such a person shows at the outset, because it comes to a sudden stop at some point. More of a bounce than a tip-toe landing, as it were.

Which is why, at the dropzone, you don't lose your girlfriend, but only your turn.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I make a point not to mention anything about it. Then if she finds out somehow later on (assuming it goes beyond 1st meeting and a date or two) that I skydive or snowboard, and she's interested in it, she just might be a keeper ;)

beyond that, if you are trying to impress someone with the fact, you're only hurting yourself.

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I should have said "your personality" not "the persoanlity" -

Skydiving has nothing to do with sexiness - but if someone is sexy and they skydive, well, maybe that would be a bonus for some......

Hell, when I met my wife for the first time, she thought I was a DORK! :S :D "No way in hell will I ever date him! Yuck!"

So Billy...did she ever change her mind about you being a DORK?

Walt

Oh, she got over it... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A certain person kept trying to impress me with his skydiving bravado (didn't work-he had only done a couple tandems) until he found out that I actually really do skydive. At that point he lost complete interest. . .he wasn't sexy and his attitude wasn't sexy. . .

I was out at a happy hour with the girl who had gotten me into jumping (she did 1 tandem and told me about it). I can't remember where he came from, but this tool starts talking to us about how he jumped out of his "buddy's" plane with a rig his "buddy" had strapped on him, and then he landed in his "buddy's" backyard with zero training.

I kept asking him questions to let him realize I knew more about what he was talking about than he did.

My friend kept saying, "Dude, she jumps."

He just kept plugging away, bless his heart, digging in deeper. I finally said, "You're an idiot. Stop talking."

He still didn't get it.

:D:D:D So, um, no, definitely not sexy!!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Personally, I'd prefer a guy who tells me he skydives and plays guitar.

Now, that's downright sexy!

BN

Hey, would that work if he's a drummer? :o