Kid_Icarus

My Local news had a piece on 1 800-SKYRIDE!!!!

But I think that boycotting a dz just because you don't like the fact that they accept a skyride certificate isn't fair. Especially if their competitors except them as well.

That's the thing speaking with our money is the only power we have. As for the competitors that accept the certificates, well if they aren't on the list Phree sent out then add them, because Lodi isn't being singled out for allowing skyride to continue this behavior.

I also wonder, are experienced jumpers also letting the DZs know that they are taking their business elsewhere and why? Unless every fun jumper at the DZ suddenly disappears, I doubt most DZs (especially some of the larger ones on the list) will notice the departure of individual jumpers, especially not on the bottom line. Sure, if enough people do it, it'll eventually hit them.

I wonder if energy is better spent talking to DZ management about Skyride and its practices and why you don't believe the DZ should support them, and maybe helping the DZ come up with better ways to market tandems than Skyride.

Just my thoughts. I haven't really thought about "boycotting" much because the DZs in my area (AFAIK) no longer accept Skyride. I was disappointed to see some of my favorite "destination DZs" on that list, though. [:/]

There is not a DZO in the country that does not already know about Skyride and their Business practices.

If they choose to continuing doing business with this organization, then they do not deserve my business no matter how Cool their DZ is.

The DZO`s already know. Some care, Some dont.

There is not a DZO in the country that does not already know about Skyride and their Business practices.

If they choose to continuing doing business with this organization, then they do not deserve my business no matter how Cool their DZ is.

The DZO`s already know. Some care, Some dont.

I'm not necessarily saying they don't know about Skyride. I'm just pointing out that unless you as an experienced jumper TELL the DZO why you're taking your business elsewhere, the "boycott" may go unnoticed.

Well I don't have a home DZ, and since I'd be a traveling jumper I doubt they really care if I come for a weekend or not. So let's say there is a boogie at Lodi (just an example) that someone announced on here, if that was a place I wanted to go but because they support skyride I would not go. I would definitely respond that I wanted to go but wasn't cause they were enabling a company to commit fraud.

Of course, I do have some class and if I wasn't planning on going, I wouldn't post something just to stir up shit.
Fly it like you stole it!

Yeah, it's a tough issue. I am not criticizing people who choose not to do business with DZs that do business with Skyride. That's a personal choice, and I definitely respect that.

But... if that "boycott" is designed to push a DZO to take action, it's not going to be effective unless the DZO understands why the jumper is taking business elsewhere.

There's two reasons I suggested that people who do have "home" DZs try to be proactive in approaching DZOs:

1) They may not be totally aware of the extent of the shit that Skyride pulls. The USPA action will probably wake a few more up.

2) Fun jumpers may be perceived as "anti-tandem" by the DZOs, therefore any complaints about Skyride may just be perceived as an extension of that. By offering alternative marketing ideas, the anti-Skyride message may be able to get through because you're making it clear that this is not about being anti-tandem, but about being anti-Skyride.

I dunno... maybe I'm just being naive here, and there are probably a lot of DZOs who will tell you to pound sand and go ahead and take your business elsewhere. At least this way, they know why you'll be doing that.

Yeah, it's a tough issue. I am not criticizing people who choose not to do business with DZs that do business with Skyride. That's a personal choice, and I definitely respect that.

But... if that "boycott" is designed to push a DZO to take action, it's not going to be effective unless the DZO understands why the jumper is taking business elsewhere.

There's two reasons I suggested that people who do have "home" DZs try to be proactive in approaching DZOs:

1) They may not be totally aware of the extent of the shit that Skyride pulls. The USPA action will probably wake a few more up.

2) Fun jumpers may be perceived as "anti-tandem" by the DZOs, therefore any complaints about Skyride may just be perceived as an extension of that. By offering alternative marketing ideas, the anti-Skyride message may be able to get through because you're making it clear that this is not about being anti-tandem, but about being anti-Skyride.

I dunno... maybe I'm just being naive here, and there are probably a lot of DZOs who will tell you to pound sand and go ahead and take your business elsewhere. At least this way, they know why you'll be doing that.

I may have missed it somewhere but, what kind of percentage does Skyride give the 'participating' dz?
I wonder too if, the percentage the dz gets would cover video, fuel, etc. That's why dz'z set their prices. To cover costs and make a little profit.

Chuck

I don't think these dzs are supporting skyride or approve of their practices. Skyride is taking advantage of the dzs too, not just the tandem students. Boycotting your local dz is going to do nothing to hurt skyride.

How do you figure? If DZ's can't keep a staff because they're skyriding, they'll stop skyriding. If all dz's stop taking skyride certificates, skyride will go out of business.

I've been jumping at my home DZ for 10 years, and working there for 7. When the DZO was considering Skyride I told him in no uncertain terms that I'd be gone. I'm sure the minimal profits involved in skyride jumps was his primary deciding factor, but I do believe he took the very vocal discouragement he got into consideration as well.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think these dzs are supporting skyride or approve of their practices. Skyride is taking advantage of the dzs too, not just the tandem students. Boycotting your local dz is going to do nothing to hurt skyride.

How do you figure? If DZ's can't keep a staff because they're skyriding, they'll stop skyriding. If all dz's stop taking skyride certificates, skyride will go out of business.

I've been jumping at my home DZ for 10 years, and working there for 7. When the DZO was considering Skyride I told him in no uncertain terms that I'd be gone. I'm sure the minimal profits involved in skyride jumps was his primary deciding factor, but I do believe he took the very vocal discouragement he got into consideration as well.

Blues,
Dave

I don't know about that. Skyride gets their money first, before the student even knows they are overpaying or if the student even knows that the dz won't take the certifiate. Skyride is deceptive and will continue to be so until enough lawsuits hit them that they shut down.

What would happen if everyone quit going to the local dz because they took skyride certificates? Do you really think Skyride would stop what they are doing? Skyride wont give a danm if your local dz goes out of business. In fact, they would probably still sell tandems for it and laugh at the students that bought them.

If all dropzones would stop taking skyride, Skyride would go out of business. The ones that do CHOOSE to do business with this dishonest organization are not much better than the organization that they are supporting.

NWFlyer is correct. We need to be VERY Vocal with the DZO`s that are taking Skyride and make sure they understand why we will not jump at their Dropzones.

Read the list of DZ`s that accept Skyride and Make your Choices on which DZ`s to support accordingly. If you choose to stop jumping somewhere because they accept Skyride, Please make sure the DZO knows why you made that choice. They probably make more off a single Tandem than do off an Up Jumper for a whole year but most DZ`s would like to keep their Up Jumpers and eventually it will make a difference to them.

Lodi is a special case on all these, because I'm pretty sure they're getting full price from Skyride on their tandems, perhaps more than their usual $100 full price. Not much reason for them to pass on any added customers Skyride can deliver.

That's what I was curious about. As long as a dz can profit from Skyride, they're going to go along with it. Still, it just seems that all I've read about Skyride points to un-scrupulous behavior and down-right swindling folks. Maybe if, the A.G. in Utah persues an investigation into Skyride we might hear the whole story. I appreciate your response. As a note, our little 1-cessna dz charges $195.00 for a tandem. Skyride, with one of their certificates pays the dz $75.00!?

Chuck

As a note, our little 1-cessna dz charges $195.00 for a tandem. Skyride, with one of their certificates pays the dz $75.00!?

No...probably more like $110-$120. The exact amount is agreed upon between the DZO and Skyride and varies based on a couple of different things.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Damn that's cheap... my local DZ offers a first jump for 225, and then 189 for each one following it... then again that is if they didn't jack thier prices since I have done my tandems there like 2 years ago
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

What would happen if everyone quit going to the local dz because they took skyride certificates? Do you really think Skyride would stop what they are doing? Skyride wont give a danm if your local dz goes out of business. In fact, they would probably still sell tandems for it and laugh at the students that bought them.

You can't get skydivers to boycott DZs that have unsafe AC.

Face it, so long at it doesn't effect the skydivers, most of them are going to go out to the local DZ and jump. It won't matter to them if the DZ accepts the Skyride certificates or not.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

As a note, our little 1-cessna dz charges $195.00 for a tandem. Skyride, with one of their certificates pays the dz $75.00!?

No...probably more like $110-$120. The exact amount is agreed upon between the DZO and Skyride and varies based on a couple of different things.

Blues,
Dave

According to our dzo, folks show-up with a Skyride cert., do the tandem and he waits for payment. All(according to him) with no prior communication with Skyride. That's what I've been told and I'm just trying to learn, here. Thanks!

Chuck

According to our dzo, folks show-up with a Skyride cert., do the tandem and he waits for payment. All(according to him) with no prior communication with Skyride. That's what I've been told and I'm just trying to learn, here. Thanks!

Oh, I didn't mean they they vary on a per tandem basis or require lots of communication. If you don't have a standing agreement with Skyride, they'll pay something like $110 (ballpark). If you want to become part of their network and agree up-front to accept their certificates they'll give you a little more, and if you want "exclusivity" (all tandems in your region are referred to you) I think it goes down a little bit. I'm sure there's some wiggle room in there for other negotiation too.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Oh, I didn't mean they they vary on a per tandem basis or require lots of communication. If you don't have a standing agreement with Skyride, they'll pay something like $110 (ballpark). If you want to become part of their network and agree up-front to accept their certificates they'll give you a little more, and if you want "exclusivity" (all tandems in your region are referred to you) I think it goes down a little bit. I'm sure there's some wiggle room in there for other negotiation too.

Blues,
Dave

O.K., I understand. Thanks! As I've said, I'm not 'up' on Skyride so, your information helps me understand.

Chuck

You can't get skydivers to boycott DZs that have unsafe AC.

And I say FUCK THEM. I know plenty of people that REFUSED to go to ASC for any reason. Last time I was there it was to hang out with a friend. I drove to the local store because I refused to even by a drink from their machine. :D I really do hate those assholes. :D Hell............I know a TM/AFFI that literally lived ACROSS THE RUNWAY from ASC. He finally got fed up enough with them that he would drive 2 1/2 hours to SD Atlanta instead. He has since relocted to just down the street from SD Atlanta. B|

You know some store will charge you 5% to use a debit card to pay for you purchase if it under a certian amount. Lets say you want to buy a $1 pack of gum. If your minumin is $5 dollars to use a debit card than you have to pay a surcharge. The local DZ in my area accepts Skyride, I told the DZO to charge a $35 dollar surcharge to the customer to accept their cirtificates, his response was they already owe hin $1200 in cirtificates now. I ask him why he wouldn't stop accepting them, his response was "I think it a good idea" and he had the same idea long time ago, but there was not the internet then. He would be able to get $35 upfront, then he would have to wait months to recieve the other $145. His response was he would hate to see local
customers have to drive hours away to find a place that accept them. I asked him why hw wouldn't pay the USPA GM policy, his response was he need someone to write a description for the add in Parachutist. Any way this guy (the DZO) as you can tell is an idiot. I no longer jump there, or work as an Instructor there going on a year. I do not believe he will be able to renew his lease with the airport authority, so there is one DZ that accepts Skyride and dosen't belong to the USPA GM thats going away. IF only all DZ's that accept Skyride would close then Skyride would go away also.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

This is the same theory that FTD and Teleflora have built their floral empires on.
Walk into one florist, place an order to send to your mother hundreds of miles away,,,for a small fee up front.
I used to work at a flower shop that made thousands every mothers day, just taking the orders.
It's all internet now, so the local florist is losing out.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

This is the same theory that FTD and Teleflora have built their floral empires on.
Walk into one florist, place an order to send to your mother hundreds of miles away,,,for a small fee up front.
I used to work at a flower shop that made thousands every mothers day, just taking the orders.
It's all internet now, so the local florist is losing out.

If I want to send flowers to someone distant, I just find a local florist on some online yellow pages and call them directly. Definitely cheaper than paying through FTD, etc.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am