simplyputsi

Where are you from??

Being a military brat this question has confused me for the longest time. Someone asks where are you from? How do I respond to that? Technically I believe where you are from should mean where were you born. However if you move around alot, as I have, then what bearing does that have on the question? I couldn't tell you what my birth city looks like cause I was 2 or 3 when I moved.
I most times get where did you go to highschool after said question. Ummm does it matter it wasn't in the state I'm in now and for that matter it included 2 states.
I'm gonna start saying i'm from the moon. Don't believe me? Deal with it!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Born, and spent most of my childhood in Utah. Moved to Okinawa, Japan for 4 1/2 years. Returned to Utah for college, moved to Iowa for a year, then to So. California. I've live in California now for 13 years. :S

I refuse to say I'm from Utah, so I guess I'm from California as I've lived in both places nearly the same amount of time. :D

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Grew up in Thomasville, GA.
Went into the US Navy and lived in the Philippines and Corpus Christi, Texas. Went to work for the FAA and have lived in Panama City, FL, ST. Croix, USVI and now Pensacola, FL. for the past 11 years.
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

I think your birth certificate indicates where you are from. Where you "live" would be another different response. Just like when people say they are going, "home", when they live somewhere else. That confuses me.:S

Bobbi

actually I disagree. For example:
Youre at a dropzone. Someone asks you where you are from? Does that imply they want to know where you were born? Or just where you live?

Usually if someone asks me that question, I ask them what they mean. Cuz I was born in Virgina Beach, I grew up/lived in Arkansas, but now Im in Atlanta, GA.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Was born and grew up in Huntsville, AL and now have lived in the greater Birmingham area (within a 40 mile radius from city center) for the past 11 years.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Was born and grew up in Huntsville, AL and now have lived in the greater Birmingham area (within a 40 mile radius from city center) for the past 11 years.

Now Billy. We all know there aint nuthing great about Birmingham! :D:D;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Now Billy. We all know there aint nuthing great about Birmingham! :D:D;)

Nope, there isn't. That's why I like where I live, in a quiet sleepy town off the interstate and on a large lake. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So ok, my dilemma has been covered in all these posts and i'm still confused. Here is my background.
Born in Albaquerque NM, yes that is in the U.S., moved to North Dakota where my mom and dads family are and where they grew up. Then off to sunny so Cal to the middle of the desert Edwards AFB. Off to middle of Misery uhh Missouri after that. Then to gold old Atlanta from there. California is where I identify most with, but Georgia has been taking that over the last coupld of years. Family being from North Dakota also makes me identify with up there. So lately when asked the question I say well I have lived in Georgia the longest but I've lived all over. If asked at the DZ I just assume that means what city.
People need to be more specific when asking this question.[:/]
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I always take it to mean "Where are you living NOW"..... Unless I'm out of country, then I just tell em I live in Canada :P

If someone wants to know where I grew up, then ask it as such "Where did you grow up/go to high school/college/ whatever"

Hope that solves your dilemma

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I just answer from all over! Being Born in Elpaso Texas only lived there for 6 months, moved to Utah, moved to Arizona, moved to Illinois, lived in Colorado for a year, Now I'm in Texas. Where would you call home? That would probably be the closest answer to where are you from. IMO

***Glory Favors the Bold***

My dad was with the phone company, and we moved about as much as a miitary family.

I usually say something like, "I was born in North Dakota, but lived all around the country. Where are you from?" Then I comment on my connection to where they live (there's a good chance I either lived near or at least visited their place.) That helps connect with the person and turns the conversation back to everyone's favorite subject, themselves.;)

Wow! I'm not alone! It usually takes a while to explain where i'm from, My passoprt is from malaysia, and i lived there until i was 16, but i was born in Singapore. During that time i studied and have my entire social life in singapore, where i was a permernent resident frim birth until i was eighteen. Went to boarding school in Shropshire, UK when i was 16, during which my parents moved to to Singapore, and i live in my own place in the UK ever since. Hope i learrned something from this, i still don't know what to answer to the question!

Eugene

Where I'm Born: Singapore
Where I am: the UK
Where i've spent most time: Malaysia by a technicality

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I answered "where you were born" but I think the real answer is "where you (mostly) grew up" because that has the most profound influence on who you become.

I answered "where you live" because I think that's what most people mean when they ask where you are from.

I still haven't grown up, so that question I answer N/A. :D

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."