CatBurger

16 year olds can sign legal waivers...?

yes it is true that some dz's will let you jump at 16 with the concent of your paents.. i made my first jump at 17 with a notorized signature from my parents... but it can get very complicated if you were to die as of your "estate" and how that your parents can't legally sign away your right to sue.... so hence your "estate" could then come back and sue...very few places will let someone under 18 jump. but there are still a few laces out there that will.. i know of one place in ohio and a couple in florida that will...it all depends....

it only took a little pixie dust to change this mispelling

"for a 16 year old to sign a waiver with their parents signing it also"

As far as I know, this is only for solo jumping (IAD, Static-Line, AFF...). As for tandems and the new FAR revisions, there are no age restrictions. I've watched 10 year olds (maybe younger) do Tandems since this was released.... It just depends on the DZ. But, as wingi said, if they were to actually die, things could still get very 'hairy' on the legal side of things.
Blues!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

the way i see it if a 17 yr old is mature enough and self aware enough to join the army and go fight wars then they should be able to sign away legal waviers
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit

Ugggggh free unless things have changed 17 yr olds are still staffing our military. I would also add to the argument that 17 yr olds are prosecuted as adults in some states, yet not given legal "benefits" as an adult until 18. Now that's just plain FUCKED!
kwak
Stupidity is a crime.

There is still some legal grey area as to the ability of minors to sign waivers legally. As far as S/L and AFF go, well that is sort of up in the air.I know for a fact that all 3 major Tandem Manuf. really, really do NOT want minors jumping their tandem systems. Mr Booth(who knows more about the legalitys than he would probably like) has made it VERY clear that he wants only 18 year olds (or older) to be a part of anything to do with Relative Workshop paperwork.

i cant speak for him but from what ive read its not the acctual age that they are worried about its the fact that they would lose there business if they got sued.
also over here (in aus) most ppl join the defence force at 17 i have a couple of mates in and i was goin to as well but chose to go to Uni first then once settled (into Uni) join the reserves
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit

Yeah, you *can* join the military at the age of 17, but you do have to have parent's signatures. Typically, though, 18 is the going rate.

I signed up, went through boot camp, and made it to a few months of reserve drills before turning 18. You're right though about needing a parent's signature.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)