pacncathyjr

Age limit on Dropzone.com do you think there should be one?

A few skydivers have complained to my mother about me being on here and I have heard what they have to say and I was wondering what you have to say. And if you have a problem with me being on here will you give me a reason?Even if you have a problem with under age people being on here please explain why.

I am not talking about weekend dropzone kids here I am talking about kids that live in the sport and who could most likely surprise you with how much they truly know about skydiving

I'd rather have a maturity limit. Unfortunately, that's a lot harder to enforce than an age limit (and from what I saw of you at Lost Prairie, you'd meet the maturity standard with no trouble at all!).

You've grown up on DZs. You've probably heard/seen worse there than you have on here. Obviously, if people have complained to your mother, she's aware that you're on here. If/how she chooses to limit your access to the site is between you and her.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think there are alot worse places on the internet for a minor to be than dropzone.com. Plus you are a part of the community and take part in many things skydiving related so I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to post here. But then again it is HH's site so he can do as he pleases.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Well I voted no but I'm sure their reasoning is alot of the topics in the bonfire are adult themed and have adult content in them. As I see it, it isn't any of their business how your mother chooses to raise you although it is within their rights to express their concerns to her. If I had kids I think that dz.com would rank very low on the parental radar compared to drugs, alcohol and sex. Maybe they're worried about all the child molestors and miscreants that post here.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

No authority figure from Dz.com has said anything to me I am just trying to find out why people think it should be limited to adults.

It's probably the same reasons people think kids shouldn't be around dropzones.

1) They're adult playgrounds. Adults don't want to have to censor their words or their actions because there are kids around.

2) Skydiving can bring up a lot of tough issues (death, injury) that, if not handled well by the parents/guardians, could be very traumatic to children.

3) Kids could potentially be a nuisance, either on a dropzone or on dropzone.com. As I said on my earlier post, from what I've seen of you, you haven't been a nuisance in either place.

That's just a couple reasons. For the first two, I would guess that your mother, being very involved in the skydiving world herself, has adequately prepared you to deal with them. That's not always the case.

It is crap like this that upset me. It is your parent's responsibilty to raise you.

If (in their mind) that includes limiting your exposure to dropzone.com, THEY should be responsible to setting those limits, not the website.

I don't think he was saying that, just saying that he wasn't the one who sets policy on this site. Which is true, as we've heard many times, "this ain't no damn democracy."

A few skydivers have complained to my mother about me being on here and I have heard what they have to say and I was wondering what you have to say.

They should mind their own damn business.

And if you have a problem with me being on here will you give me a reason?Even if you have a problem with under age people being on here please explain why.

No problem at all. My daughter used to read rec.skydiving. Once or twice she even posted. I had no problem with it.

I am not talking about weekend dropzone kids here I am talking about kids that live in the sport and who could most likely surprise you with how much they truly know about skydiving

I don't think it matters. It's up to your mother, not to the busybodies who are trying to tell her how to parent.

Where do they get off?

rl

P.S. Tell your mom I said hi.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I personally dont care. But you and your parents shouldnt expect us to curb our language, posts, attitude to cater for kids.

Being that I have been on a Dropzone since the day I was born and people try to curv their language for me.I don't care what you say around me. The big thing you have to understand is I go to high school everyday and at least skydivers use the word in correct context.

First Off it is None of Their Damn Business!

Second - It is not like you are trying to hide who you are!

I mean anyone who has been jumping more than 5 years should know all of ya'll an How Cathy is and raises Her Children.

Pretty Strict from what I have seen.

The internet like television and any other medium is the parent s responsibility.

Maybe they need to grow up and quit trying to rule the world!

Laters,

K-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Yeah, yeah what he ^^^^^ said.

Now if I was your parent...No, you would not be able to "hang out" here. I have kids, they spent alot of time at my DZ, BUT the skydivers knew to watch their mouth when lil ears where around. There is way too much "stuff" going on at this website for you to see AND hear.

(Momma) Bobbi

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

. There is way too much "stuff" going on at this website for you to see AND HEAR

A. My mother raised me on the dropzone and tought us to do as they say and not as they do.

B. The "stuff" that is going on here isn't even close to the "stuff" that goes on in schools everyday.And you can try and hide you children from the "stuff" going on but eventually your children will be incountered with that "stuff".

C.Skydiving is probably the only reason I'm not knocked up on drugs or got knocked up by some guy because skydiving let me have the chance to see what happens to the people that do rather than finding out my self.

So though you may look down on kids at a dropzone I think is an experience that is life changing.

Also know that you can't just a hormone driven teenager to get that experience they have to have been there befor they are into impressing guys and what not.

BUT the skydivers knew to watch their mouth when lil ears where around.

It's not okay for me to walk onto a kid's playground and tell them to stop making so much noise. Why is it okay for you to tell me how to express myself at a playground for "grownups" when you're the one who brought them there knowing full well how immature most of those "grownups" are/can be?

Before you ask, yes, I do have a kid. Yes, he did spend a lot of time at dropzones, starting at age 6. And yes, he did "hang out" on dropzone.com as a teenager. He'll be 22 on Sunday. He's more mature than I am at 40. I credit a lot of that to the fact that he was exposed to the real world instead of being sheltered.

It's not okay for me to walk onto a kid's playground and tell them to stop making so much noise. Why is it okay for you to tell me how to express myself at a playground for "grownups" when you're the one who brought them there knowing full well how immature most of those "grownups" are/can be?

I'll give her that - if, when she says "her" dropzone, she means the one where she was recently DZO. It's her right as a business owner to try to set behavior standards there.

As for bringing her kids to someone else's DZ and having that same expectation? I'd agree with you, Lisa.

There's kids around my DZ all the time. I don't go out of my way to swear around them, but I don't go out of my way not to, either. Their parents took the risk bringing them there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, there should be an age limit.

People over 100 years of age shouldn't be allowed to read or post here. ;)

Hell, some days I feel like I'm 100... guess I better not log in on those days.. LOL
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I've seen a lot of kiddoes 'raised' at the DZ. They're pretty good kids and have good parents. I don't mind if, you 'hang-out' with us. I appreciate your asking our opinion(s). I think, that' right there shows some maturity. Also, I'm sure, your mom knows what goes on here. We're just going to be what we are... it's too late for us to change now! Besides, you've probably seen and heard worse at school. If, you don't like what you see in one thread, there's a plethora of other threads and topics. Far as I'm concerned, welcome aboard!

Chuck

I'd rather have a maturity limit. Unfortunately, that's a lot harder to enforce than an age limit (and from what I saw of you at Lost Prairie, you'd meet the maturity standard with no trouble at all!).

You've grown up on DZs. You've probably heard/seen worse there than you have on here. Obviously, if people have complained to your mother, she's aware that you're on here. If/how she chooses to limit your access to the site is between you and her.

Ditto What she said.
Stay by all means And Tell your mom hi for me;)