divnswoop

MTV tonight

Nice to have some idiot pushing someone with 300 jumps to "swoop the pond" on tv.....right before somebody bounces... Granted he didn't know about what was about to happen.....But you can see a mentality, pushing someone with little experience...THERE is the problem with todays fatalities under good parachutes.

Yeah, watching it right now on TV. Did you catch where the accident happened? Which DZ?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

what time zone did you watch it in? I may be able to catch it in my time zone.

although by the sound of it I may not want to

East coast.... it wasn't a bad piece about jumping. Just the fact the guy was there pushing him to swoop the pond because a camera was there and he was " a race car driver". I think Gunner had 300 jumps.....

It was last year....

I'm trying to figure out how, exactly, MTV managed to make BASE boring. That show was deathly dull! I'm actually quite impressed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This is the incident in question, yes?

9. 4/16/2005 Atlanta Skydiving Center, GA. 1000 Jumps
Hook turn 270 turn then double fronts till impact. May have been distracted by a camera crew. Katana 120, which he loaded at around 1.8. Recently switched to a Katana 107.

Lesson: New canopy and showing off. New equipment or skills should be learned before additional stress is placed on performance.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree. Plus it was a little much for me for them to get the "300 jump, skydiving cool guy, pond swooper, racecar driver, always have to go fast dude" who is now a "BASE jumper" with 2 jumps, because after his "many" skydives, it has lost it's thrill.:S

I'm trying to figure out how, exactly, MTV managed to make BASE boring. That show was deathly dull! I'm actually quite impressed.

After talking with MTV multiple times (and then one day they abruptly ceased contact) its surprising (or not) to see route they chose. (No offense to Gunnar whatsoever ;)) I found out Russell (pBasetobe) was interviewed extensively as well and did NOT get a shot on the show. I was shocked :o The dude would have a story to tell, thats more interesting, courageous and ballsy than any of us.

I sure had a lot of parenthesis in that paragraph.

So, I'm watching the show last night with some friends and first off I was pleased just to think that I looked the least like a douche on TV out of the 3. (but then again maybe that's just me)

I was pretty nervous to see the finished result as MTV can edit & butcher pretty much anything they touch. I do have to say that while I thought it was cool, I for sure was disappointed with the finished result.

They no lie shot just over 100 hours of footage! The production crew (a separate company from MTV) came out to a whole race weekend, filmed some tunnel time, more BASE jumps (I actually did 5 in 2 days... not 2) and did not show any of that.

It seemed to me that they edited a lot of the 'fun' out of the show in order to get drama. My parents were both behind me 100% but they were out to get the angle that they weren't; and with some creative editing they pieced together the only few shots that portrayed that. I actually got a text during the show from one of the production crew people saying that she had given MTV a very different product before it was edited down.

I love BASE and to watch what they actually put in the show kind of made me sick... it did look boring! The show spent way too much time on other crap to really get the essence of the sport. They really didn't grasp any of the excitement.

Next, just to set some things straight, the production people did not push me to do things I was uncomfortable with. I had been swooping the pond months before that. Yes I did only have about 360 jumps at the time, but I'm a pretty heads up canopy pilot... guess it comes from racing all the time.

The accident with Brian involved him setting up for Landing the opposite direction from everyone else on a light & variable wind day. 1 person had just landed and another was in his turn when Brian stared his 270 from the opposite side of the Landing area. It wasn't simply an issue of target fixation on a camera guy.

Lastly I apologize to anyone who I might have offended or who thinks that I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing. I hope I didn't bring any bad light onto the sports that I enjoy doing so much. Feel free to email me [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Gunnar

Uhh, you want fries with that?

Gunnar nice job. I think with how the media always portrays this sport (real tv etc... only showing videos of when things go wrong) it's nice to finally see something on TV that showed the fun aspect. I just wished they showed less motocross and more skydiving/base jumping. Oh yea that car in opening was sick.

I think you did just fine Mr Gunnar :)
I just wish they'd shed more light on the different people who are evolving the sport and doing things unheard of...
For example, I told them about Memorial and Labor Day weekends at Perrine and how it would be a good time to get footage because there would be a multitude of jumpers. Diversity and different perspective angles would have made the BASE aspect more 'interesting' in my opinion.

PS - very nice Marianne ;) I love that shot of the bridge reflected in the chrome dome.