PsychoBob

Magic Carpet Ride Pic

***Any word on gettin the vid posted ? Thanks.... Don.

After desperately searching for, and finally getting in touch with, John - so I could get a new copy of this shot - I asked him if he'd post the video. I haven't gotten a response from him, but skydivingmovies.com's been down for a while. Maybe if EVERYBODY emailed him and asked, he'd do it. It is a kick-ass video. It was a kick ass ride.

You folks who say you'd be too chicken to try it don't know what you're missing. What kind of skydiver are you if you don't do something really stupid every once in a while?:P

I want to know who that yo-yo with the bright ass neon green mirage in the middle of that group is :P

That is a kick ass pic, Salsa showed it to be down in z-hills...wish I could have gotten one autographed by ya. ;)

We'll have to try that out in Dublin...let me get the Cypres in my rig first. :D

***Any word on gettin the vid posted ? Thanks.... Don.

After desperately searching for, and finally getting in touch with, John - so I could get a new copy of this shot - I asked him if he'd post the video. I haven't gotten a response from him, but skydivingmovies.com's been down for a while. Maybe if EVERYBODY emailed him and asked, he'd do it. It is a kick-ass video. It was a kick ass ride.

You folks who say you'd be too chicken to try it don't know what you're missing. What kind of skydiver are you if you don't do something really stupid every once in a while?:P

Um, the safe kind?;)

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

A decent muff brothers magic carpet ride will hold steady until breakoff.....but you never know, especially when there are people of different sizes, strengths, experiences etc. It can be a real roller coaster type ride too...but 5-10 seconds aint much of a ride...

Be safe everyone! Horny Gorillas, magic carpet rides, and the like can be great. But they can be a mess too.

Marc

EDITED: Just found out that a certain 'giraffe' was the organizer.....hmmmm.........

Thanks for the compliments on the pic!:$
I've submitted this to Parachutist, and am hoping to see it in the Feb. or March issue.
Please keep the copy within this group, since they only accept exclusive 1st run pics. (I don't think a scanned copy shared among some friends is gonna create a problem, but I wouldn't want it to end up anywhere that will hurt the chances of the magazine using it or other pics that I send in the future. Thanks.
I've been meaning to post the video, but have been really busy this week, I'll try to do it in the next day or 2.

Also, IIRC, isn't it a really rare thing to recover a CASA once it stalls?

Found this from DiverDriver on this very topic from a couple years back (re: the stalled casa from the 96 Richmond Boogie) The entire thread is a good read.

If you search Google groups for "Upside Down Casa" it will be the first topic to come up.
http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Casa_Stall_P394357

Yes, it is a lot of work. Flying 17 people on the tail (16-way chunk and video) is tough work and you better be ready for it in the Otter. Or else yes, you can stall it. But I also believe the otter can recover from a stall easier than the Casa or Skyvan. The wing is fat and wide. In layman's aerodynamic terms it has more "bite". If you have shed most of the weight (hopefully the group went when they felt the buffet) the aircraft will recover easily. The Casa and Skyvan have a much thinner wing and will be more difficult to recover. Situationally any plane is capable of being out of control all the way to the ground. So it is imparitive that no matter what plane is being used for jumpers the pilot knows proper "unusual attitude" recovery technique.

Our van allows twelve behind the line...

...and that MCR looks like a guaranteed handle-puller. Or, if everyone doesn't stack up nicely, a shoulder dislocater.

Here are a few things to save the shoulders and make it safer:

1- Anyone with a legstrap PC should be on the outside because it is easy to snag a bridle.
2- Good gear checks (especially bridles)

Exit:

Rows of 3. Linked arms. Take the legstraps of the person ahead.

In order to minimize the thrashing, keep your chest up next to the persons container on exit. Less flailing, plus it flies better. If your arms are extended, it flings you everywhere and usually breaks apart. The bigger the group, the more thrashing.

The first row walks to the edge and tells stop. Then, the count from the back, a light push-pull-push (ready-set-go). The front row bends at the waist and off you go.

With 9-12 people, it should come out and flip over. You can watch the plane go away and then it goes head down to about 7000 ft. Then the speed break it apart.

9 is an excellent number. 12 is ok. More than that is a problem and doesn't seem to fly well. Big groups fold in the middle on their backs and funnel easily.

1- Anyone with a legstrap PC should be on the outside because it is easy to snag a bridle.

Anyone with a legstrap PC should seriously consider revising their gear choices before partaking in tubes, magic carpet rides, hybrids, or even freeflying really.

you can't physically fit too many skydivers in gear on the tailgate line up for a 3 across magic carpet, it's too deep.

remember, a carpet is long, it's not like chunking a 10way base off the tailgatw where you're cramming as many people in the door as you can

As it was we didn't even have to try to make it loose enough for the people at the back of it to be at the 18 person line (thos are my legs at the top of the picture).

When the green came on we started the count and at the back we pushed... no eating of tailgate to be found

The vidiot DID make it 19, but we kept the rest of the load crammed up by the front. I have no interest in stalling the casa, FWIW i think we did it safely.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

***I want to know who that yo-yo with the bright ass neon green mirage in the middle of that group is..

He's some freak with bleached blond hair.:D :P

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

I support you, Oren:)
While I don't normally respond well to authority:P, I appreciate those who care about certain guidelines that are in place for safety reasons (without going overboard of course).

A friend of mine--great skydiver, great swooper--is always the most annoying one in the plane making sure everyone is seated correctly, the jumps they're doing and w/ whom, etc. But I think, secretly, people appreciate his efforts, b/c in the end it keeps us all safe.;) Me? I routinely make fun of him, but as he knows and any one of my friends knows, the more I make fun of you, the more I love you:P

Edited to add: GREAT photo!:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

...and that MCR looks like a guaranteed handle-puller. Or, if everyone doesn't stack up nicely, a shoulder dislocater.

The only thing I was worried about was breaking my nose! I had an open-face helmet; getting up close and personal with the rig of the guy in front of me was a little nerve-wracking.

My face ended up okay, but somebody got clocked in the head with someone else's knee - left a nice crack in his helmet - and, as has been discussed, a handle did indeed get pulled. As far as I know, though, everybody's shoulders emerged intact.

John, thanks in advance for posting the video! I'll keep my eyes open for it.