piisfish

Rigging courses

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious - who sanctions riggers? Is it USPA? Some other org? Or self-sanctioning? What are the requirements for becoming a rigger (ie years in sport, age, eye color, etc? :P)

It's something I would definitely like to look into in the future, but I am concentrating on the AFF right now - so obviously, not for a while. Thanks for indulging my curiosity...

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." Da Vinci

who proposes courses for rigger wannabees ?

Preferably east coast

Try Dave Dewolf at Paraloft, Elizabeth, Pa.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Just a thought...

You could go the more informal route and apprentice under a good rigger(s)...

I appreciated everything I learned by packing under four different riggers... Take the best 25% of each person's best ideas, and you have 100% of good stuff. Not to say I am perfect, in fact I suck sometimes, but I learned a lot and with all the different tools I see myself addressing problems in different ways...

In retrospect, I am glad I did not go thru a course, but spent many Tuesday nights learning... Did you know Learjets have drogues? Yes, riggers technically can't pack them since they are part of an airframe, but lots of A&Ps send them out to riggers and sign off on the work. Packed one of those with my "mentor", even though it was not in either of our logbooks as an official pack-job.

I differ... I'm really glad I took a rigging course (Dave Dewolf's). I got a lot of information from a lot of different riggers... Dave has 15+ riggers working for him helping the course, every one of them has a lot of good information and tips, so you benefit from a lot more experience than just Dave's (not that Dave has any lack of experience too!!:)
That gave me a great base to be able to learn more from other riggers after that... I was better equipped with a good foundation to know what kinds of questions to ask, what my own strengths/weaknesses are and where I needed more education. I never stop asking other riggers questions.

Probably everyone with a riggers' ticket thinks their way of garnering the information is the best way to get the information. Realistically, it really depends on individual learning style, local rigger availability to teach, financial constraints, long term rigging goals, initiative in asking questions, and present rigging knowledge base that determines what educational track works best for that individual.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda