Rebecca

Crap. I just rescued a dog. Now what?

Thanks!!

And thanks to the rest of you, too. He really is a good boy. I believe he has a family waiting for him somewhere. Just to clarify though, he didn't exactly 'let' me bathe him. My leverage and the slippy tub floor won out. :ph34r:

In the meantime, I was giving him a good belly rub, and I found a tick above his shoulder.

What the hell do I do about that??? :o

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Vaseline (or any other oil based substance) covering the tick will force it out because it won't be able to breathe. Don't pull it out, the head could break off inside the dog. Sometimes you can get them to back out using heat, but I'd try the vaseline first.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

How do you remove an attached tick?

Do not use alcohol, nail polish, hot matches, petroleum jelly, or other methods to remove ticks. These methods may actually traumatize ticks causing them to regurgitate their gut contents. Essentially, you don't want to do anything to make the tick expel its gut contents into the individual or animal--this greatly increases the chance for infective organisms to be transmitted. You also don't want to crush the tick after removal and get the contents of a potentially infected tick on your hands.

The recommended way to remove an attached tick:

* Wear gloves and use a tweezers. Caution is advised because most diseases that ticks carry can also be transmitted to people.
* Grab the body of the tick with the tweezers and firmly pull the tick straight out, DO NOT TWIST OR JERK. Do not puncture the body of the tick.
* If it looks like some of the tick did not come completely out (the tick's mouthpart has a barb on it to make removal more difficult), use an alcohol sterilized needle to remove the remaining pieces.
* Cleanse wound with soap and water, and then alcohol.
* Save the tick in rubbing alcohol (the alcohol quickly kills the tick) for future identification and testing**, if necessary. Date the bottle. Drowning a tick in water does not work--they can even survive flushing down
the toilet.
* Mark the date on the calendar; this could be useful information if the dog starts showing symptoms consistent with tick disease.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Thanks!!

And thanks to the rest of you, too. He really is a good boy. I believe he has a family waiting for him somewhere. Just to clarify though, he didn't exactly 'let' me bathe him. My leverage and the slippy tub floor won out. :ph34r:

In the meantime, I was giving him a good belly rub, and I found a tick above his shoulder.

What the hell do I do about that??? :o

The best way to remove a tick is to smear vaseline all over them. They can't breathe and will let go so you can remove them.

The quickest way to get them to let go is to burn them. Light a match, blow it out and *immediately* touch the still-hot match-head to the tick. It will let go and you can remove and smash it.

Don't cut it off. The jaws will remain in the skin and the area can get infected.

Walt

What if I just leave it and let the professionals handle it tomorrow? :)

<--- wimp. :$[:/]

Oh, but think about that poor cute puppy suffering all night.

[sniff, sniff]

Look at the poor little puppy--he's so sad because of those ticks--and you want to just let him suffer?

[sniff, sniff]

Poor puppy!:(

Just kidding. Tomorrow will be fine.:)
Walt

What if I just leave it and let the professionals handle it tomorrow? :)

<--- wimp. :$[:/]

Come on' girl! You've dealt with nastier stuff that this before. Burn that sucker and kill it - perhaps dedicate the removel, burning and death to a DZ.commer....oh, I dunno, maybe....Walt :D

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Do you know that he's actually lost? What if he knows the area and was just out for a stroll, socializing with the locals, intending to head back home when it got dark, except that somebody kidnapped him? Sure, he might not mind too much cause you treat him well, but as you say, he likely does have a family that expected him back or misses him. Just a thought. Who knows, maybe if you take him for a walk he'll lead you back to his house. I dunno, that's all I could come up with.

edit: A friend of mine got a dog kinda in this way, except the dog came to him, at his house. Just showed up, so he started feeding it and the dog never left since. It does/goes whatever it wants, but always comes right back. Very nice dog. We figure the dog was a runaway from a bad home, and has now landed at a good home.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I'm fairly sure he's lost based on his good condition and his behavior in approaching people. If he was just out for a stroll, I'd like to kick his owner in the nuts - he was right next to a busy, fast, 4-lane one-way street, and he didn't seem to have that street-dog savvy.

I didn't want him to get hit.

He's at the vet now, getting checked and boarded for the day. I didn't just want to leave him at home...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

If he was just out for a stroll, I'd like to kick his owner in the nuts - he was right next to a busy, fast, 4-lane one-way street, and he didn't seem to have that street-dog savvy...

Rebecca,

Not that I think you would ever mistake me for the dog's owner, but just to satisfy my own paranoia, please Note:

I am in no way, shape or form the dog's owner.

I like my nuts. They aren't all that pretty, but I've grown very attached to them over the years. Please don't kick them. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!

In other words, if you have a "kick Walt in the nuts" item on your "to do" list, Please wait until I give you a really good reason! And rest assured, I'll try very hard not to give you a good reason. I promise.

Walt

Walt, believe me, if I bothered to make a list of those deserving a good swift nutcracking, the list would be miles long, and you'd be very, very close to the bottom. ;)

OK, I'm listing the dude all over the place: houstonlostpets, petfinder, fidofinder... any other suggestions?

Not one of the more practical decisions I've ever made on the spur of the moment.

He's here, getting to know my dog, and he's so sweet.

Obviously lost - plenty of weight on him, good coat, VERY friendly, a bit dirty, broken tag.

My bf's going to freak.

NOw what?

Get a new boyfriend?

*whistles innocently* :$

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Sigh. He's huge. Looks to be a Golden/Chow mix

Look for the owners but not too hard. I rescued a Chow and they are the sweetest most sincere animals. They are loyal, aloof, and well behaved. They hardly ever bark and are pretty passive most of the time. Mine will mix it up with larger dogs but very timid and passive with small dogs. A friend of mine had a Jack Russel that would litterally jump up and down barking at my chow, and she would just ignore her almost looking right through her. I grew up always having Golden Retrievers and will never have another dog that isn't a Chow. They want your love and attention but aren't too needy.

Yours was probably abandoned, because it isn't in their nature to run away. They are very pack orieniented, once they have a good home they have very little desire to leave. Most just want to protect the pack.

Actually, Sean was cool. He just shook his head at the fact that I managed to bring home an 81 pound puppy. B|

He agreed that Dude's a sweet fella. He was SO tuckered out last night.

I can't believe how many lost dog listings are out there... [:/]

I have a golden / chow mix at home and he is the best dog I have ever had. My wife and I do a lot of rescue work and we almost always have foster dogs. (2 right now, we "own" 3 other dogs)

You may also want to contact your local shelter and let them know you have found a dog. I'm not saying to take it in, but let them know. Most owners check the local shelters first. Petfinder and the like are also really good for this.

I used to have a Houdini too... mine was a collie/husky mix... he earned his name.. lol

My litte guy was an ugly, little, yappy dog, but SO loveable! The first time I brought him home, I put him in the back, and when I came home, he was gone. The next day I found him again and brought him back home, I found out where he was getting out and blocked it. But, since I wasn't sure he was house-trained, I left him out again, and again he got out again. The third time I got smart and decided he was house-trained enough, and he wasn't going to be outside without supervision. So, after that, I named him Houdini for being able to escape with little or no effort. I had him for about four years before he passed. He was a good little dog. I miss him... [:/]

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

we rescue dogs all the time - go to the local Vet to see if he has a chip or tattoo and they can advise as well on the breed (if it is not obvious) and the course of action. Vets closest to where the dog was found may have seen the dog before - also a good place to hang the "Dog Found" sign.

All purebreds have a 'rescue' organization, ie. http://www.aussierescue.org/ and you can contact the rescue for that breed, they will find a foster home for the dog until they can be adopted.

Make a reasonable effort to find the owner - the dog probably has a Mom and Dad that are worried about their dog.

Great job - my wife made me a Stray Dog Rescue Kit for the car, treats, a leash, stuff like that so I can better capture the strays I see.

Hate driving by any dog on the road - just a matter of time before they end up road-kill

TK

So, remember that scene in Turner & Hooch, where Turner leaves Hooch alone in his place for the first time?

:|

I left the Dude home today. Sean left at 9. I came home at 12 to check.
He'd chewed a roll of toilet paper and torn a hole in the bottom of one of Sean's new Homer slippers...
That sucks, but not such a big deal. Close the bathroom door: check. Put the slippers where they belong anyway: check.
I came home at 5:30 to get ready and run to the gym. At first, everything seemed normal. The Dude was happy to see me, and Daisy barked. But I didn't see her. So, I walked in to find her and saw:
The sheer curtain pulled over the top of the crate, with spots on it,
the contents of the coffetable top on the floor,
light streaming through the blindless window on my left, with, as it turns out, no more window,
The blinds next to that window broken,
The blinds on the window above the printer broken and chewed, the printer askew and scratched,
my dog Daisy shut firmly in the bedroom,
and the Dude had a bloody paw.
And then the cat escaped through the broken window.

:|

Yep, someone's boarding at the vet again tomorrow. [:/]

Not only that, I need to find him another place to stay by Saturday. Definitely not the most practical idea, rescuing a giant puppy...