Rebecca

Crap. I just rescued a dog. Now what?

Yep, Dude or Little Dude has been working for me, though he doesn't really respond.

I had to board him today, and in order to do that, they have to vaccinate him. He's run me over $250 so far, including three new sets of blinds... [:/]

On top of that, I'm going away on business tomorrow and have no idea where I'm going to put him. I can't just leave him with Sean - that's not fair. He works long hours on the weekend...

Ach, no good deed goes unpunished.

Right now he really needs a home where someone's there all day, and I can't provide that. Poor guy's just freaked out.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Trust me he will be fine you have only had him a few days, I HIGHLY suggest crate training. Then start him on a training regimen, he is probably smart and needs the mental stimulation. My dog one of the first days I got him tore all the molding off the bathroom door, chewed up the toilet paper and chewed the handle off the toilet (did you know they sell just the handle at home depot). Next day I got him a crate and other than a few destroyed dog beds during the first few months, he now has no problem staying in his crate for 8 hours. He always has bones and a kong with him to keep him busy though.

You can get though this it just takes time and patients. It's toughest the first month, but by the 3rd month if you have been training and implementing NILIF (nothing in life is free), you should be good to go.
Fly it like you stole it!

Patience, I got. Time, I don't got.

My current concern is the 5-day business trip I'm leaving for tomorrow. After that, I can crate him, no problem.

As for his smarts, I'm not entirely convinced. :D You know how the smart ones look at you? I mean, really look at you for any and all signals or input? This guy has more of a "Huh? Wha'd I miss?" thing going on...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I'd suggest boarding him for those 5 days, to keep your house safe and your BF sane, then start working with him when you get back.

That's what I'm shooting for. :)
Thanks Kelli!

Call kennels to see if they know anyone that wants a new dog. Also email ALL of your friends and business contacts asking if they can help find a new home. Someone will know someone that knows someone.

If this is more of a lost dog, call the vets/pound in town and read the classified ads in the paper. Most towns have a rescue business or two. Check them out too.

Window blinds: Sounds like he's an outdoor dog and doesn't know what to do inside, except try and escape.

If you have a yard, the electric fences works wonders if he's an escape artist. I can lend you mine because I don't need it with RePete.

Never give a dog an 'old' shoe to chew on (not that you did that). They can't tell the difference between an old and new shoe. You'd be training them to chew shoes. Get the rawhide chew things at the pet store. Especially, if this one is a puppy.

Be very firm in voice intonation when you say 'Sit', 'Stay', 'No' etc. Do not say 'Sit?', 'Stay?' or 'No?'. Dogs want a pack leader, if you don't do it, they will.

Name: When I took in an abandoned dog 2 years ago, I sat on the couch with the dog sitting on the floor looking around at the room. I started running thru the alphabet and consonant blends. She responded to "Cl'. I named her Cleo.

If you need to get rid of the dog, go for a no-kill place. They may charge an entry fee. Networking worked for me. I found Cleo a new, one dog home, thru a jumper that was married to a kennel owner, who had a client that just lost a dog and wanted a replacement. Cleo was ok to start with, but she did not like RePete. Cleo did not understand the pecking order. She was long haired anyway an I did not want a long hair.

Puppy-proof your house in the meantime: No shoes, clothes, remotes, books, wires etc laying around. The bottom shelf of a bookcase is 'laying around' to a dog.

Even if they cost you a bundle in vet bills and torn up stuff, they are worth rescuing.

Cleo was a digger. I had to bury chicken wire in a number of places. I'd rather do that then know she died in the desert.

If you have to keep him for awhile, start heel training. Their behavior improves everywhere. They want to please you, really they do.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker