littlejohn

jumping your own packjob's

This forum needed a response, so here it goes:

Why is there an apostrophe in "packjob's"?

Look out! Here comes an S!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

First I have to give credit where it is due...Waltappel taught me how to pack and he is a fantastic teacher.

I jumped two of my pack jobs (for the first time) this past Saturday...and no one knew it was my first time so I don't owe a case:P

Anyway, the rig I packed/jumped will be MINE as of this weekend. I'm so excited!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

....I jumped two of my pack jobs (for the first time) this past Saturday...and no one knew it was my first time so I don't owe a case:P

Congrats! But.....

http://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ha yeah, i remember jumping my first pack job a couple months ago. when it came to pull time i remember throwing the pilot chute and thinking to myself "well, this is it. i hope something comes out" and it did but i definitely had some lines twists. i haven't packed my own parachute that much but this past weekend i packed it and for the first time i didn't have line twists from my pack job. woooo!!! nice clean opening

ah yes I do remember now it was sniveling a little more than usual and as it started to go a little longer than most openings it hit me that I had packed this one. I also was aware though that it should be a slower opening, but I still was keeping a keen eye on it all the way.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I was so scared of a walk through (I think that is what it is called, ya know where the canopy is backwards)

You hooked up your first pack job too? If it was assembled correctly, and you put it in the bag "backwards", you'd probably just get a line twist or two or three. You can still fly and land a canopy thats hooked up backwards. Whether you want to or not is up to you.

I was so scared of a walk through (I think that is what it is called, ya know where the canopy is backwards)

You hooked up your first pack job too? If it was assembled correctly, and you put it in the bag "backwards", you'd probably just get a line twist or two or three. You can still fly and land a canopy thats hooked up backwards. Whether you want to or not is up to you.

I'm guessing she's talking about a step-through. The one I packed still met all my controllability checks and landed fine on my big-ass Spectre.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I like jumping my own packjobs, it adds a certain level of excitement. :o The first one was a little worriesome but I didn't focus on that all that much. Just opened a bit higher than normal, everyone knew I was opening high. I just used it to further ingrain my ep's in my mind and to act on them if need be.

brag why dont ya lol.... I made someone else jump my very first pack job... I knew his reserve was good :ph34r:

It helped that I understood some of the physics involved and the fact that the damn thing just wanted to fill with air (illustrated by the fact that it was hella hard to put in the bag...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Its because I knew about them that I was so scared. I felt that if it wasnt perfect (which is how I feel about everything I do in this sport and why I got lectured at the pyro boogie) then Id lose a good canopy because I messed it up.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I don't remember the first time I jumped my own main packjob, but I very clearly remember the first time I jumped my own reserve packjob. Thinking as I pulled the cutaway "Hope it works!!!" and then yelling "WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" between cutaway and reserve pull. Opening was perfect...quick but reasonably soft, and on heading. :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)