RossDagley

Pro-tec helmet liner upgrade

My pro-tec's got somewhere round the "500 hours of tunnel time" mark on it, and the liners pretty trashed. So I started looking around for replacements as the shell is still fine, and even though the helmets only $50, I'd like to not throw it away if I dont have to.

I'd be interested if anyone has ever used this replacement liner - it's pretty expensive, but looks like it should last a lot longer than the standard foam liner.

Anyone even ever seen this before? Opinions?

http://www.oregonaero.com/p77_2001.html#protec

That is the liner that is mandatory for jumping a ProTec in the Army. It is HORRIBLE! It only comes in two sizes and gets hard as a rock when it's cold. I recommend ordering ProTec brand replacement liner. Square1 has them for $15.00:

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1034.asp

I agree with Slot but on the other hand, that liner actually does provide you a better level of protection from impacts compared to the ProTec liner or your average skydiving helmet.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm after comfort really over protection i guess - it's generally accepted I think that a protec will protect you better than pretty much anything else, but I have to use this fella for up to 8 or 9 hours a day (as most instructors do). I'd like something that wicks sweat away, and maintains comfort.

I might try making something outta that memory foam stuff - I can get a sheet of that from ebay for about $15.

There is something that you can do to your standard Pro-Tec helmet liners to protect the soft foam from wearing down, and make it last for many years.

You can go to a fabric store and buy some fabric of your choice. Then at home, remove the foam liners from the helmet - they're just held in place with velcro. Cut the fabric to fit the foam liners, wrap them around the foam liner pieces, and use a hot glue gun to fasten them in place on the backside.

The end result looks better, doesn't show dirt like the foam, and keeps the soft foam layer from wearing out.

Photo attached.

You can get replacement liners for a Pro Tec from Para Gear too.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=184#L3104R

I've jumped a Pro Tec for most all of my jump career. My Pro Tec (shell) probably has less than 50 jumps on it than I do total. I cannot tell you how many times I've replaced the liner.

I just modifyed my Protec liner using pipe isolaiting foam. I removed the soft part of original liner and replaces it with isolating foam. The result is in first picture. I will cover the foam with some fabric, just looking one right now.
Oh, and one more important upgrade in second pic :P;)