micro

Is it real or photoshop?

that yellow kayak reminds me.of something I once read. Marine biologist say you shouldn't wear yellow if there are sharks around. they call it "yum yum Yellow" because a surprising proportion of shark attack victims were wearing yellow.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

that yellow kayak reminds me.of something I once read. Marine biologist say you shouldn't wear yellow if there are sharks around. they call it "yum yum Yellow" because a surprising proportion of shark attack victims were wearing yellow.

HEY! You're not drunk! Why are you posting here? >:(

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I'm not seeing anything which would immediately scream "fake," and not even with closer examination in PS.

The shadowing/reflection is very subtle, but matches each other; the light source is likely right overhead or very close to that, the compression in the reflection is accurate, and the angle of the shot accounts for the potential perspective skewing (the shark looks *much* larger than the kayak...but again, it's an angle/perspective thing).

The shot was likely taken with a long lens, which will also compress the objects (remember the airliner near miss the other day?) closer to each other. I'm willing to put a donut on the line and say that the shot was taken from a lower flying airplane/chopper, which would account for no shadowing of it in the shot (it would be to the right of the shot) due to the angle of the sun.

The only item which gives me pause is the break in the horizon line off to the top left in the shot; there is a bounce in the line, but if someone were stitching two shots together, there would be additional indicators of it throughout the water. There aren't, so I'm guessing it's a scanned shot from a magazine of some sort, and that is the "page" crease. I'd also point out that there is a blurred spot about midshot top which made me think some second thoughts, but I just can't see any continuation of it, or any footprints that it's cloning, Gaussian blur, or any thing other than a glitch in the original shot (or poor scanning).

My last comment would be if it were shopped, why make it so "boring" ? If I'm gonna take some time and make a shot which encompasses a kayaker and a shark, I would either make them closer together, near attacking, or something more "exciting".

Edited to add: There are lines of copy just barely visible in the water, and a dark box to the right edge which would infer another photo. I'm thinking this is an illustration of an article written for an adventure magazine of some sort or another, which falls nicely in line with the break in the horizon as a page crease.

My vote is "real."

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

LOLing at you, Micro. Yes, it's a boston Creme one. Gooey and chocolate and still warm. No, I didn't get your vmail. My phone is having an attitude...I'll try to call tonight, all right?

Ciels-
Michele

It could easlily be a real photo that was setup... i.e. the "shark" is real... but not a "real shark"

Sure, it could've. But the shark looks real enough to me (I'm no expert, though). Are you seeing something which leads you to think that? If so, what?

Ciels-
Michele

Sure, it could've. But the shark looks real enough to me (I'm no expert, though). Are you seeing something which leads you to think that? If so, what?

Not really... but if it is being shot for a magazine then it could easly be a setup...

i.e put a realistic looking shark decoy in the water behind a kayaker. Shoot the shot and later add in the effect of movement (a few ripples behind the shark)

It would be much safer then actually shooting the kayaker with the shark behind them.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

LOLing at you, Micro. Yes, it's a boston Creme one. Gooey and chocolate and still warm. No, I didn't get your vmail. My phone is having an attitude...I'll try to call tonight, all right?

Ciels-
Michele

f*cking cell phones. hate 'em. k, call me later. like about 10 my time, 8 your time. k?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

showed it to my navy friend who has been a frog for 28 years and worked in the mammal program extensively.

his conclusion is most likely faked due to the fact the great white would most likely make its approach to the kayak much deeper in the water they tend to be more of an ambush hunter in the real world when not chummed.

I have to take his word for it due to the fact that he has been in the water more than anyone I have ever met

his conclusion is most likely faked due to the fact the great white would most likely make its approach to the kayak much deeper in the water they tend to be more of an ambush hunter in the real world when not chummed.

From what I understand about Whites, your friend is right; they tend to come up from under. However, they also nose and "test" bite when they're not sure what the prey is. The shark may just be curious, and looking to see what looks like a seal from underneath, but doesn't have flippers nor smell like one.

And like Speedy said, the water may be shallow, and the shark may not have 'depth' to work with. There have been attacks in relatively shallow water, so while the prefered method would be from beneath, it's apparent that there are other ways to attack.

Icon, thanks for clarifying. I considered that, and re-looked at the shot. For the "fake" shark to be in the right place at the right time, there would have to be some sort of movement mechanism, wouldn't there? There are no pulleys visible, the kayak is still (paddles raised, no ripples from it), and yet the shark has some rippling off it's fins. There is movement in the shark while there isn't in the kayak; so how did the shark get there? And wouldn't there be currents which would pull/push a fake shark if it weren't attached to something?

So I'm still hanging with the "real" theory...

Ciels-
Michele

I never heard that, just heard menstrating women shouldnt swim in the ocean ....

THAT is exactly why I am manipulating my pills so that I am not having that problem when I go to Hawaii

(well maybe that and a few other reasons, but that really is one of them ;))
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~