AggieDave

Any Mountain Bikers? I have questions.

I used to have a really squared away Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS from the 90s (back when I was really into MTB). I had LX and XT componants, etc. Just a really good bike. It was stolen a few years ago, I wasn't really riding much at that time so I didn't care *too* much, since I was skydiving and all I wanted to do is jump.

Well, I have days off during the week now and I've really got the bug to go back out on a bike again. Good excersize and good fun.

Anyways, I went out and looked at some bikes yesterday, specifically the new Specialized Rockerhopper.

Well, the frame is nice, I especially like the fit of the frame (Specialized just fits me better then other bikes), but I didn't recognize some of the components. The bike shop guy said "hey they're good, not as good as LX/XT but they're what you'll get for this price level). I can understand that, I don't have over $1000 to dump into a bike.

The components are SRAM. Anyone ever heard of them? Are they worth a crap? About like the lower end Shimano? Figure they'll last me a few months until I can get better components on the bike?

The obvious answer is to simply buy the higher price group bike, but I can't really do that I ccould get the bike and then slowly upgrade stuff later, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ya mon
I've consulted a phanatic mtbiker. It's all about the frame.The grit will chew up components no matter what, so you end up replacing that stuff regularly anyway.Yeah, grind them off and get new bling later. Bike snobs are always switching components out so you may find some deals on E bay etc.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Yeah, I know I'll be switching components, I just wanted to know if the components would last me a few months of riding.B|

I did recieve a really good PM from someone who's really into the Mtbiking and races the same. Basically that SRAM and Shimano is a bit like Ford and Chevy. Both are good for different reasons, its what you want. So It sounds like I can get the components to last me a while, until I upgrade to some LX and XT components.

I'm getting excited, very excited. Its been a long time since I was really into Mtbiking. I've been remembering some of the really good rides (and some of the bad ones, which usually turned out funny) and the really good excersize I got from riding that much. And now that I have days off during the week, I'll have days to go ride during the week when there's nothing to do. And every other weekend I'm off, so if its good weather I'll be jumping.B|

well, im a singlespeeder and a fixedgear rider at that so i guess im biased against gears but.

that said the one geared bike i have has SRAM components on it and it serves me quite well what little i use it, definetaly not XTR but good enough.

id suggest going for the Comp or Comp Disc model.
specialized tends to give a much better bang for the buck above the $500 range
plus i cant stand those rattle trap shitcage tektro levers.

id also suggest looking on mtbr.com classifieds as theyres always good deals to be had as long as you know what your looking at

attached is two pics for subliminal singlespeed motivation first is my beater Redline Monocog running 42X17 Fixed gear and second is my new track bike that i just built and wanted to show off :P fetish position w/ carbon goodies and anti-theft-pink deep-Vs

If it helps, i believe SRAM is what used to be known as gripshift. They and shimano have pro's and cons to each but they are a solid groupset these days.
Personally i like shimano except for the fact that they insist on adding an extra sprocket every year and then discontinuing the old stuff. 7 was perfect for me, i don't need 8 and certainly not 9!

In terms of upgrading, you may find that SRAM and shimano stuff doesn't sit very well together - not sure on that though but worth checking
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Soundsw like a good thing to me. And yes you will always find deals fromt he weight whores upograding. Ohh look this coponent is .5 grams lighter I must have it. Honestly that is really the only difference from XT and XTR in the shimano grupos. LX coponents are generally the downgraded XT coponents, Ie whenever xt gets changed the old style becomes the LX gruppo. I am working on getting my bikc back on the road. Save some gas, and be able do some trail riding. I only have an eight mile ride to work, so it will be really good exercize. I also find that I was calmer because I wan't cursing at the slow driver in front of my on my way in. I was cursing the damned headwind that there seems to allways be.
A couple of other sources you might want to look into. check out ebay, craigslist, and some other classified listings. There are people out there who buy kick ass bikes, because they claim they want to get into shape, and then the bikes just sit in a garage collecting dust.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Similar reasons for me, except I'm not going to ride a bicycle to work. I ride my motorcycle, but its a bit far down a couple of roads that are very unsafe to ride bicycles on.

I still want to ride to give me a fun way to get cardio, and I used to love spending hours working up and down very difficult single track...or bombing down wide single track/double track. A quick paced techical twisty tight single track...oh man, talk about refreshing and fun.

For me, its not about having the coolest lightest gear, its not about about winning races, its all about the ride. A cool ride, that's challenging technically and physically brings about a zen like feeling. To me it is similar to swooping. Its centering.

Thank you to everyone that has told me here and those who PMed me. I've learned about SRAM and about things that weren't around when I was into Mtbiking (disc brakes for example). All of it has helped me narrow down what I'm looking for, explain what I'm looking at and what I'm looking for.

I have a full on freeride bike with with a SRAM X-9 rear derailleur... it always shifts smoothly when I need it to, but just like any other components, they need to be tuned up and adjusted here and there. The experienced downhill riders at the shop recommended SRAM over Shimano because the cable goes straight into the rear derailleur, whereas on Shimano, it loops around, making it more susceptible to catching on something and tearing it off. Anyway, hope it helps.

Honestly you should be fine this the SRAM components. I use to do a lot of hardcore riding with people from work (I use to work as a bike mechanic) including someone who rode with SRAM and it held up well. As someone said its like Ford v Chevy. As long as you take care of your equipment you shouldn't have a problem with any brand. If you really want to get into the pros and cons of the equiptment I can direct you to people who really know there stuff (the pro shop at where i use to work). Here is some pics of my ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/Toys/DSCN0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/Toys/DSCN0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/Toys/DSCN0003.jpg

I'm not a big MTN bike person but I do a lot of road riding and triathlons. I have had a road bike for several years and recently bought a tri bike and I spent a long time researching. I also have a MTN bike that I use a couple times a month but it is fairly low end (Diamond Back Topanga with Shimano Alevio components) By far, I am not a pro and I'm just an average consumer that did a little research. Below are my findings.

My experience leads me to believe that you should look for a bike with the components that you want because you can get them for a cheaper price when buy a complete bike. Adding higher end components to the bike after you buy it could cost a lot. Manufacturers get great deals on components when they are manufacturing bikes. So, they can include nice components on the bike that you buy without having to charge you the full retail cost of the parts. When you look at parts on a complete bike that you buy, you will see that they retail price of the parts is usually much higher than the purchase price of the bike. Depending on the marketing strategy, sometimes manufacturers deck out a low end frame with nice parts and sometimes they give you a highend frame with lower end parts. Another way to save $$, is to buy a model leftover from the prior year because dealers want to move the bike.

For example, I purchased a very nice Tri bike last week and it is leftover from 2004. The components are Shimano Ultegra (1 step down from Shimano's best for road and tri, which is Dura-ace). The bike retailed for $1,850 in 2004 and I got it for $1,250. I'm not positive but I think ultegra parts (front and rear derailer, and cranks) retail for somewhere well north of $500 (closer to $700).

The moral of the story is to shop around and visit as many bike shops as you can. There are great deals out there.

Have fun.