nerd137

Tipping On Take-Out Orders

There's this awesome Mexican place about 100 feet away from my apartment that I've ordered take-out from regularly for about 2 years now. I always feel slightly guilty scratching a line through the tip section of my credit card receipt before I sign it, but I've never once tipped on a to-go order.

So, what does everyone else do?

tips are for servers/bartenders. they usually get paid less than minimum wage because of the tips they get. if they didn't do anything for ya, you don't need to tip them. i guess you could tip the cooks but, that's obviously up to you; i don't.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I believe we have discussed this previously. I usually don't unless it is obvious that someone has gone above and beyond the call of duty. Meaning if I call it in and it is just sitting there, no. On the other hand, if I show up, give a person the order and I see them flying to get it together, process it, and really take an interest.....I may toss them a stock tip. ;) Uh, I mean a buck or two. B|

Do you tip at McDonalds? How about Burger King?

Same story for take out orders (for me at least), they take your order, hand it off and bring it back. They don't follow you home to refill your drink or ask if your meal is ok, do they? (that would be creepy if they did).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

obviously NONE of you have worked in the restaurant......I am a server, but because of my broken leg, they have me in the to-go room.

I make 5.50 an hour plus TIPS.....on average I have made about 20 dollars in tips for a five hour shift.

The to-go people actually put you food together for take out....and we deliver to the vehicle....rain or shine......so yes you should tip!!!!!!!

and just FYI, if you have been going there for two years.......these people know you......and trust me....they don't think of you kindly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't tip.........don't go out to eat!!!!!!!!!!

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

On take out orders, no, don't tip. There's no waiter/waitress getting you drinks or serving you, so why give them money for doing nothing.

When I get take-out (often), I usually tip around 10%. Taking my order, submitting it to the kitchen, collecting it, packaging it, and ensuring that there is sufficient plasticware, napkins, and condiments seems worth that in comparison to regular waitstaff.

That said, I really wish we'd get out of "expected" tips for anything. I tip fairly, but I don't like to. It's become this balancing act that usually just irritates me.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

On take out orders, no, don't tip. There's no waiter/waitress getting you drinks or serving you, so why give them money for doing nothing.

When I get take-out (often), I usually tip around 10%. Taking my order, submitting it to the kitchen, collecting it, packaging it, and ensuring that there is sufficient plasticware, napkins, and condiments seems worth that in comparison to regular waitstaff.

That sounds reasonable. What do people in the restaurant business say about 10% for take-out tips?

That sounds reasonable. What do people in the restaurant business say about 10% for take-out tips?

As a former professional server, I was always pleasantly surprised to get any sort of tip for a take-out order. I would never expect anything. But sure, 10% would have been nice.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

You know, now that I think about it, I always toss the pizza boy/girl a dollar. Maybe I should be consistent and add a dollar to my $8.75 take out order.

Then again, I always feel like the recipient of the $1.00 tip is thinking to him/herself, "Gee, thanks, Mr. Trump...a WHOLE dollar...now I can afford that Ferrari I've always wanted."

10 % is reasonable........of course I feel that the restaurant business should be responsible for paying their staff accordingly

servers and bartenders work off tips......and the rest of the crew should be paid a liveable hourly wage.

Just my 2 cents on that.

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

You know, now that I think about it, I always toss the pizza boy/girl a dollar. Maybe I should be consistent and add a dollar to my $8.75 take out order.

See, I think pizza delivery is a whole other ballgame. I tip servers 20 percent just to bring my plate from the kitchen to the table. I'm damn sure going to tip more if someone GETS IN THEIR CAR and DRIVES my food to wherever I am. And I usually will do a minimum 5 dollar tip if the meal is less than 25 bucks. And when I order food and someone RUNS it to me, on foot, in the hot Florida sun, I'll usually start tipping at 30 percent with that 5 dollar minimum.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Thank you for saying that! I did pizza delivery for a bit in college, and there were always folks that didn't tip. Or, I'd get people who asked "Am I supposed to tip you?"

I wanted to ask "Do you tip a waitress? Because I am a waitress who not only brought food from the kitchen to your table, I brought it to your FUCKING house." :D I was generally a bit nicer than that, though.

Thank you for saying that! I did pizza delivery for a bit in college, and there were always folks that didn't tip. Or, I'd get people who asked "Am I supposed to tip you?"

I wanted to ask "Do you tip a waitress? Because I am a waitress who not only brought food from the kitchen to your table, I brought it to your FUCKING house." :D

I don't know if it's true everywhere, but at least around here pizza delivery drivers get paid a helluva lot better hourly than waitresses, like 2 to 3 times more, so the tipping disparity isn't what it appears on the surface. Plus, the waitress isn't getting tipped just for putting the food on your table, but for taking your order, making sure you get everything you want and need, and that your dining experience is pleasant. The driver ain't responsible for all that. That said, I usually tip drivers 3-5 bucks.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't know if it's true everywhere, but at least around here pizza delivery drivers get paid a helluva lot better hourly than waitresses, like 2 to 3 times more, so the tipping disparity isn't what it appears on the surface. Plus, the waitress isn't getting tipped just for putting the food on your table, but for taking your order, making sure you get everything you want and need, and that your dining experience is pleasant. The driver ain't responsible for all that. That said, I usually tip drivers 3-5 bucks.

Yea, I used to just do the same tip for all drivers, but I realized that I don't tip servers because I know they're getting screwed in their wages. I tip because I appreciate the service. And I appreciate the service from pizza delivery guys a lot more than waitresses.

:)
Brie

"As a former professional server"

Sounds very errrr...professional. You liked your job and took it a little serious...didn't you.

I'm not makin' fun of you...I too am a former professional server.

Heh. By former professional server, I mean that was my only source of income...as in no student loans.

:)
Brie