billvon

Cutaway on landing

At the Fusion 50/50 event, a jumper experienced an odd problem. There was a kerfuffle on exit, and she got jostled around quite a bit. Dive went OK. Opening and canopy flight was normal. When she came in to flare, her canopy cut away without warning. She was not injured.

My theory is that her cutaway handle became unmated during the exit, and that the toggle velcro caught the handle and "took it along" as she pulled the toggle down.

Good warning to check handles after midair pileups.

Having the cutaway become unmated, and pulled out during her flare sound possible. Some bigway exits can get rough at times. Immediatly after any funnel or collision, and before continuing your dive down to a fomation, a jumper should do a quick handle check, if not even on the way down to the formation. Your reserve handle and cutaway should be looked at while under canopy to make sure they are in place also. Complacency kills.... [:/] Glad this didnt happen at 200ft.

Ed

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

At the Fusion 50/50 event, a jumper experienced an odd problem. There was a kerfuffle on exit, and she got jostled around quite a bit. Dive went OK. Opening and canopy flight was normal. When she came in to flare, her canopy cut away without warning. She was not injured.

My theory is that her cutaway handle became unmated during the exit, and that the toggle velcro caught the handle and "took it along" as she pulled the toggle down.

Stuff like that has happened before.
Usually it was with the velcro jumpsuit cuffs (the 'old daze' of RW suits or today's FF suits) that caught the cutaway handle.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I never woulda thought of this. Very much appreciate the heads-up. I do check my cables during ride to altitude on every jump; it's part of my checkout procedure. But have never thought once about handles once out of the aircraft, and I've had a few good bumps on exit.

back before using 3 rings.... I had an R-3 release,,,,, let go. just as I touched down...YIKES...

since then... and since I have EVER used 3 rings.... I always!!! include a distinct VISUAL Look !!!! :o:) at the backside of each of my riser release equipment....I check to make sure
1. that the teflon coated cable runs well up past the nylon loop and into it's respective housing,,,,,
2. that each nylon locking loop is solid, not frayed, and NOT anywhere near to allowing a riser release,,,,,
Should I find an issue,,, i would either remedy it right away,,,, ( pushing/pulling the cable further UP, for instance) or I'd assess the situation,, and cutaway, while i still had altitude, on my side...
I do this visual check, right after checking for traffic, at opening, and just before stowing my slider...

safey first...... AND safety second...

jimmyT

back before using 3 rings.... I had an R-3 release,,,,, let go. just as I touched down...YIKES...

since then... and since I have EVER used 3 rings.... I always!!! include a distinct VISUAL Look !!!! :o:) at the backside of each of my riser release equipment....I check to make sure
1. that the teflon coated cable runs well up past the nylon loop and into it's respective housing,,,,,
2. that each nylon locking loop is solid, not frayed, and NOT anywhere near to allowing a riser release,,,,,
Should I find an issue,,, i would either remedy it right away,,,, ( pushing/pulling the cable further UP, for instance) or I'd assess the situation,, and cutaway, while i still had altitude, on my side...
I do this visual check, right after checking for traffic, at opening, and just before stowing my slider...

safey first...... AND safety second...

jimmyT

:o @&$# that, I'm installin' safety chains!
"T'was ever thus."

Interesting...

Check out this photo taken immediately upon landing my very first jump.

I was told that this is what's known as a "Floating" handle. Since then, I always make sure it tucked neatly into the strap before I pull down the toggles.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Thanks. This and the Cypress SB are now on my list of stuff to bring to everyone's attention on Safety Day at my home DZ

If you did find that your cutaway had been loosened during a or before a dive then just shoving it back up to the bottom of the cutaway housings may also create a dangerous situation where your non-RSL side is disconnected and your RSL side still is. Many times the rig manufacturer will spec the RSL side cutaway cable to be 1" longer than the other. They could both be out as well.

(I feel this suggestion is reasonable but I'll let the more experienced jump in with other suggestions and corrections.)
In the plane I think it could be visually inspected fairly easily. If you're in FF you could grab the smallest ring and give it a tug after you've re-seated the cutaway handle just to ensure the cable still passes through the loop. If the ring flips up you'd better go for the silver...

-Michael

It's not an unreasonable suggestion. But it's a lot of in air rigging. Never a good idea. I'm not sure with the full face helmets or aging eyesight like mine you could see the rings to find them on your shoulders. And friction on the loop could make it realitively hard to pull up the ring. And it could be close enough that it would still be held at this point but stretch enough to release on opening. Add gloves, the need for altitude awareness, the need for dive awareness this is a lot to do. Another answer is to disconnect the RSL and deal with what you end up with. One item to find somewhat designed to be released in the air and at least flagged. (Arguable but Booth's opinion pre skyhook)

Rather then trying to find the small ring just tug on the riser. And probably just the riser with the RSL after reseating the handle. Then deal. Still a lot of rigging in the air. I'd realisticly probably just reseat the handle and deal with the results on opening.

And if your cutaway or reserve handle is floatingm, it may be time to stop the dive get out of the way and deal.

As with JimmyT I always check the three rings after opening. What really gets you thinking is doing a hop and pop at full altitude. Hanging there for that long you have a chance to look up and examine the little itty bitty strings straps and rings that are holding you up at 13,000'[:/]:o;) Makes you want to take a good look at things to make to make sure they are going to stay together.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>Jumper landed safely and wind took the canopy up again. Then the
>canopy just fly away. Scary.

Yep. I once had a coaching student who landed and had one riser just fall off. Turned out to be a too-short cutaway cable and poorly mated handle (not out, just down too much.)

During Tandem Instructor training, I was drilled on handle checks:
before load
on aircraft
before exit
after drogue deploy
as part of canopy open check (including cutaway/reserve handles, lines, links, risers, rings, student connection points, etc...)

To a slightly lesser degree, I've built this check into my personal rig use as well.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...