ntacfreefly

Chris Cowden....

I'll post it all in the morning I'm heading out the door in a second. The lesson is simple, 1 second of losing your awareness can be deadly.

Blues.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I'm assuming, everyone is safe!? I'll be watching for your up-date.

Sorry, yes I should have stated that.

As to the details:

I've always considered myself a safe and aware person. I am particularly careful around taxi ways, runways, and generally any place I expect to find aircraft (including the air). Often I'm that guy that's overstressing safety, watching dirt dives, landings and skydives hoping to help people be safer. I didn't think for a second I'd do something as dumb as I did today.

There were 4 of us on a Freefly skydive. The Casa and Kingair (we were in) were running jump runs and somehow unbeknowst to everyone we all ended up in the same airspace. As we were breaking off the tandems from the previous aircraft were below us. They definitely weren't there when we got out (visibly). Anyway, kudos to everyone involved keeping a clear head and doing what was necessary for safety. While hairy everyone deployed ok.

After this is where the actual incident occurred. I was walking back with Chris (who was taking pictures) to the main area across the aircraft 'parking' area. I was chatting to Chris about what had just happened and looked around noticing the Casa and the King Air both on the ground, props roaring. I wanted to tell the pilot of the King Air what had just happened so I started to run over to the plane. At that time Chris yelled out "WHOA WHOA WHOA" and I immediately stopped. Unbelievably (to me) I had not seen a small taxing aircraft and was running right in front of it. We're talking feet here...not many somewhere in the range of 10-15 feet. With the other aircraft running I couldn't hear it, even when it finished taxing by me. Very scary, extremely embarressing and a grim reminder of how easy it is to put yourself in a world of trouble.

Seems that in my haste and preoccupation I'd neglected the most basic of safety rules around the airport. Watch for spinning props B|

I replay that scenario over and over in my head if Chris hadn't yelled out. Personally I don't like the outcome. Lesson is, no matter how safety orientated you may be (or think you may be), 1 second of stupidity will wipe that all away.

I'm not sure there's a lot to learn from this because, honestly, it's nothing new to any of us. It's just a reminder of how easy it is to do. And I wanted to thank Chris. I know Katie's pretty damn appreciative too ;)

Blues.
Ian

was chatting to Chris about what had just happened and looked around noticing the Casa and the King Air both on the ground, props roaring. I wanted to tell the pilot of the King Air what had just happened so I started to run over to the plane. At that time Chris yelled out "WHOA WHOA WHOA" and I immediately stopped. Unbelievably (to me) I had not seen a small taxing aircraft and was running right in front of it. We're talking feet here...not many somewhere in the range of 10-15 feet. With the other aircraft running I couldn't hear it, even when it finished taxing by me. Very scary, extremely embarressing and a grim reminder of how easy it is to put yourself in a world of trouble.

I take it you were in the USA when this happenned. Having jumped a lot in the UK where you know the only aircraft around are the jump planes (hence your noticing that the 2 jump planes were on the ground), in the States, private planes can come and go.

There is a problem, especially in Florida, where the pilots of the private planes decide to go and "have a a look" at the parachutists. They are legally "supposed" to radio (and please correct me if I am wrong) their flight path, but as far as I know, they generally dont.

Beware of complacency or ignorance - a lot of airfields are not skydiving planes only. I remember my AFF in New Zealand - we shared the airport with the city airport. The deal was that the skydiving centre had a small area at the end of the runway for parachutists to land and their plane could use the runway. Regarding the skydive plane using the runway, take-offs and landngs had to be between the national plane schedules.

ALL parachutists had to have landed before the scheduled airline came into land or take off, otherwise, if there was a canopy still in the air, then the airline would have to circle until the canopy had landed.

All of us students got into trouble if we did not exit on time or did not get to the ground quick enough!!!

Luckily, my time in NZ made me aware of shared airports.

Liz

That sounds like Chris. Just when I thought my respect for this guy could soar no higher...
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Chris is the absolute bomb! I couldn't believe this when he told me about it yesterday and it was you of all people, not even a newbie! Thanks for admitting your slip-up. I'm sure we'll all remember to look down the runway after reading this.

All the noise from the planes also made me miss a small plane that was making a slow turn on the loading area. I was walking near the edge of the grass and had my head turned talking to someone (was it you, Kevin?) about our jump. He pulled me over and had me stop walking, otherwise I could have been klunked by the end of the wing!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ian - thanks for posting. Because most of us know you aren't the type of bird-brain that would be un-safe or knowingly uncautious, the weight of the post is that much greater.

Thanks for sucking up your pride and sharing valuable safety info.

(Great seeing you and your gorgeous wife again!)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

(Great seeing you and your gorgeous wife again!)

Likewise!!! Hope your throat feels better today and we're going to have to make sure we stick around and party with you guys next time.....Chuck is probably starting to get a complex heheheheheh :)

They are legally "supposed" to radio (and please correct me if I am wrong) their flight path, but as far as I know, they generally dont.

Quick correction...no they don't. If private pilots were reqiured to transmit every time we made a turn..that would cause WAY too much radio traffic. I could take off out of a local airport, fly right over someone's active LZ, and land back in that airport transmitting only my intent to leave and my intent to land. Nothing else. I could rent an airplane and take it anywhere without talking to anyone unless it's in airspace that is controlled & required to be talking to the tower/atc. Some DZ's aren't. And you need to consider other people's air travel of choice...ultra lights, paragliders, yadda yadda yadda. If you're jumping and they're under you...uh, don't jump. :S
Now then..is it smart to fly around without listening to the radio and lettin' people know where you are when you know 180 pound meat missiles are dropping somewhere nearby? No, but...:S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Chris is the absolute bomb! I couldn't believe this when he told me about it yesterday and it was you of all people, not even a newbie! Thanks for admitting your slip-up. I'm sure we'll all remember to look down the runway after reading this.

All the noise from the planes also made me miss a small plane that was making a slow turn on the loading area. I was walking near the edge of the grass and had my head turned talking to someone (was it you, Kevin?) about our jump. He pulled me over and had me stop walking, otherwise I could have been klunked by the end of the wing!

Yes, I believe that was after that landing we have an understanding about. But it's understandable how you might have been a bit distracted, what with jumping with Chris and I. B|;)

And you are absolutely correct: Chris really IS the bomb. Most especially because he'll deny all of this perceived greatness emphatically.
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

Was that the jump where he started it with "once it all goes to shit"

Yes! The jump totally failed because of Chris' negative energy before we even got in the air, it has nothing to do with our lack of skills. The bad vibes must have still been with me as I biffed in my landing. It's all Chris' fault. He's not all that. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

thanks buddy - life (or lack thereof) could have been very different without your intervention today.

Indebted forever.

Oh, you were indebted WAY before this!:P j/k!

Thank you for the post Ian. It was certainly not necessary, but it is appreciated. I am just glad that I happened to be looking the direction that you were not. REALLY glad!

Anyway, I am as happy as anyone that nothing bad happened and it all turned out ok. None of us are ready to let you go quite yet!:)
Give Katie an extra hug today, and then one for me too. Love you guys!

Was that the jump where he started it with "once it all goes to shit"

Yes! The jump totally failed because of Chris' negative energy before we even got in the air, it has nothing to do with our lack of skills. The bad vibes must have still been with me as I biffed in my landing. It's all Chris' fault. He's not all that. :P

NOW you guys are catching on!:P

Thanks again for the jumps and the great times!:)

NOW you guys are catching on!:P

Thanks again for the jumps and the great times!:)

That Chris dude isn't much, but that guy from Lansing/Sheboygan is one cool cat.

I mentioned this to Chris yesterday.
I think the boogie was well organized and it was a great success, assuming your numbers come out ok, and from the loads I think they will.

The only observation I had that might want to be changed is the landing area. Although having the landing area, loading area and manifest all together makes it real exciting, it does however create an opportunity for an accident.

The planes/taxi way need to be separate form the parachutes. People walking, landing, drug from the winds are all possibilities. Heck even the cutaway mains became an issue..Great spotting guys!!

We can be as careful as we want, but the best way to avoid an accident is remove the risk from the activity.
As we all know skydiving is risk management, its bad enough that the jump is not over till you are in the packing area (with all the canopies) but now we add taxing aircraft.

I talked to Chris about how the new location would be laid out in hopes of giving him the opportunity to make some changes when designing it. Or at least something to think about.

I am sure Chris will do his best and make it happen.

Its not a question of "If" but "When" something will happen.

Awesome event Chris!!!! We had a blast!!

How many days till SkyFest????:P

Oh, you were indebted WAY before this!

Pffft, I would have been if you'd gotten a decent picture of the switchblade/Tickjockey B|

None of us are ready to let you go quite yet!

Well, from now on you have no-one else but yourself to blame for my actions :D