BillyVance

Cost of gear has gone way up in 10 years.

I think the cost of everything has gone up over a lot of years. My dad died in 1969, he was making $6000/yr.

My first job started at IBM in 1981 and I started at $18K/yr, which I thought was pretty darn good. and it got better.

My first rig, was $2300 Cdn in 1983, all brand spanking new. and gas was about 40 cents/liter Cdn at the time.

now it is 25 years later, it does not surprise me that gear/suits/whatever costs a bunch.

Exactly. The main word here is Booth. Notice how you did not refer to a 'distributor' but to a manufacturer.

It use to be the 'manufacturer' who had to make a living.

Now it is the 'manufacturer' and the 'distributor' who has to make a living.

I am a distributor and looking at my distributor prices that i pay the manufacturer so the manufacturer can make a living would make gear so much cheaper for the customer.
But because of the difference having us distributors in the equation the customer is contributing to the manufacturers living as well as the distributors living.

Is this fair on the customer? Well, yes and no would be the answer to that. Yes because there is no way the manufacturer could do it all ont heir own now in a timely fashion and give the customer service a customer needs but also no because the customer should not have to pay so much to two different companies. However it is like this for everything in the world and is one of those catch 22 situations.

I personaly dont try to get rich from selling gear and i just like to make customers smile. It is not possible fort all gear store owners to have that way of life no matter how much they would prefer to though because more times than most they have massive overheads that i do not have.

Anyway, just my profound though of the day.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It adds up.

You are right though, You cant make a living on this.
Lucky to break even helping people buy their first rig with the amount of time that goes into each and every order.

It is alot more than i ever imagined before taking this route. However I love it when they receive their rig aand you get that email where you can feel how excited that new person to the sport has just become.

I am sure we all remember going to sleep with our first rig lying next to our bed and just staring at it:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i've ordered a sonic-flywear, and its gonna cost me about 450$.. and thats just a normal freefly jumpsuit.. :S

thank god i got a 30% off voucher..

funny enough, i've ordered a new freefly-jumpsuit; one of them high-tech ones.. and even without a voucher, at the current exchange-rate.. it cost me about 450$! :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Its not the cost of gear that has gone up. Its the fact that the US$ and many paper currencies have gone down in purchasing power. Due to the Fed printing tons of it!

Crap as a kid 15 years ago a packet of crisps (potato chips for you guys) cost me 22p, today this same packet of crisps due to uber inflation costs me 72p. I used to think 62p a litre of petrol was expensive when i started driving 11 years ago. Its now £1.42 a litre of petrol!

Or a can of coke (soda) cost me 35p in 1999, today this same can of soda is 75p! >:(

i've ordered a sonic-flywear, and its gonna cost me about 450$.. and thats just a normal freefly jumpsuit.. :S

thank god i got a 30% off voucher..

funny enough, i've ordered a new freefly-jumpsuit; one of them high-tech ones.. and even without a voucher, at the current exchange-rate.. it cost me about 450$! :D

Hi VB

Almost back in the day we remember when the exchange rate was 4 deutch marks/$.

Now the $ is in the toilet and our business folks just love foreign customers.B|

Got a bunch of friends that go to the states to jump, every winter;) don't need no cheap ass motel or tent. :S

Buy a house. 50% off before the exchange rate. We like everyone that has $$$.

R.
One Jump Wonder

armani suit costs 3000.
jumps suits are cheap for what it is.

Thats one way of looking at it ;)if you wear a $3000 armani suit, a $200 tie, a $25k rolex watch, $500 shoes etc etc.

I'm still :o at paying $80-$90 for a pair of Carhart bib overalls. Steal toed Red wing boots another $150- $200,

Inflation is a bitch. ;)
One Jump Wonder

Still using my old flitesuit I got in 1984 for ...... free! Just have to get a new zipper installed... should cost about 35 bucks.... because I don't own or have use of a industrial machine to do it myself......

Damn Billy, check out ebay.... LOL
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo