Hausse

How to put a freaking Viso together

Which is advertised as a digital alti-meter on their website...

I was one of the 5 people (non-1000 jump wonder rigger obviously) that tried to help Stephan put it together. Honestly, if L&B didn't have such a great reputation (deservingly so) there wouldn't have been a second thought about it being so complicated.

On L&B's website, the page detailing the features of the Viso it shows the Viso mounted on the hand strap with a clear plastic accessory, and if I remember right, even the packaging and the Square 1 catalog shows the clear plastic accessory would be needed to put it on the wrist mount. If it is advertised as a digital altimeter and every picture (from packaging to catalogs to their own website) show that the way to mount it on the wrist mount is the clear plastic accessory with absolutely no mention of it being an additional purchase anywhere, its completely understandable why someone would think that they got the shaft.

If it was meant as an audible with a possible conversion to a visual, then sell it as an audible and then market and sell the visual package separately. If its going to be sold as either an audible or a visual, then sell it with all the components.

Stephan's issues aside, I still have to endorse L&B. I just bought a new Oxygn A3 helmet and it came with a Neptune mounting bracket. I contacted Sky Systems to get a mount for my Pro Dytter (which I bought used). They said that I need to contact the dytter manufacturer. I emailed L&B and had a bracket within a week give or take a day or two (having it shipped from Denmark to the US the week before Christmas). And not only did the ship me my mount, but they also included two new batteries. I'm sure L&B will make it right and Stephan's thread was not started to bash L&B but rather to figure out how to put it together. It just seemed too complicated and not right by L&B standards.

Fair enough mate. Stephan has been helping out with a bit of 'marketing' for my gear store lately, My gripe is that if he is doing this he should not be putting down a manufacturer in a public forum, especially a manufacturer that has given me freebies to give away at parties we have attended. All he needed to do was get the problem sorted by contacting Mads or Lars, not coming to a public forum and saying that he does not like the product before mads or lars has had a chance to help him out over the holiday period.
My only issue is that i run a gear store, he has my business name in his signature and he was putting down one of the most popular skydiving manufacturers. Not very good for me after all the work i have put into my business., that was my only gripe...

Lars and Mads are two great people who are the sort of people that if you buy a broken second hand product of theirs they have always replaced it, their customer service is amazing, they have given me optimas to give away at a party at the wffc and they have my support 100%. I am not a distributor for them with my own business but other business's that i previously worked for i set up distributor deals with them and have the upmost respect for their customer service and their integrity.

It was a personal/business issue that i had with this thread when someone using my bussiness name puts down a manufacturer that i respect.

thanks for understanding.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

In my opinion, the only thing that should have been sent privately is your message to him to stop badmouthing a manufacturer because it might interfere with your business. I'd prefer to buy from a dealer that isn't afraid to question a manufacturer over a dealer that just says nice things about their products so they can get more free stuff.

You really don't need to stand up for L&B... they have as good a reputation as any company in the skydiving world. Really not classy to attack someone publicly for questioning one product from a manufacturer with a reputation like that.

Dave

Hey I never meant to bash L&B but I was just disappointed when I opened the package that I was not able to figure out how it worked.
Before I posted a thread here (to get info's because at that time I was not sure if I was missing something or if we were just not able to put it together) I e-mailed L&B and they told me that they are on vacation now, so I wanted to get the infos here. I am sure that L&B will help me as soon as they get back.

Edited to add: Thank's Dave but I think my criticism was just not appropriately phrased. I should have been more constructive instead of just complaining.

I did send him a private message and we sorted it out.

At the same time though, never did i attack him, i made it publicly known that his opinions was not those of Karnage Krew.

He said what he said about the product and directly under it was my business name. It was too late for him to edit or delete it so i put a post up letting the public know that his opinions about the product are not shared by my business.

I am not affraid to give my opinion of any manufacturers product good or bad, the thing is, I like the VISO alot and i did not want my companies name associated with negativity of the product so i made it known that the name he has in his signtaure does not agree.

Is that not fair enough?

He said the product was not good and said so under while signing my companies name. Should i just let that go as if my company agrees with the statement? I think not, especially when i have only had the best experience from the company and their products.

It has got nothing at all to do with getting more free stuff. I asked for a donation about two years ago and i will always be thankful to all those that contributed.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Re: [Hausse] How to put a freaking Viso together [In reply to] Quote | Reply
In Reply To
It wasn't to me nor to any of the at least 5 people who looked at it (3 senior riggers with all more than 3000 jumps). Most probably because we expected something slightly better.
I'll jump it next weekend. I hope the altimeter itself is better than the mount.

Lars and Mads- His views about 'something better' and ' hoping it is better than the mount', despite his signature having my gear store in it, i assure you these are not the views of the karnage krew as I believe you guys make superior products over anything similar.

That is not a public attack. That is removing myself from his comments.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I really love my Viso, and I hope you get a chance to try it out. When I got mine I too was quite a bit confused as how to mount it. The altimeter and wrist mount were so nicely made, I couldn't believe I had to actually tie it on to the freakin mount. But apparently that is what is provided.

Hey I got to jump it today and I love it. I got it mounted to the wristmount and I would say the disadvantage is that I can't use it as wristmount and audible at the same time because I would have to cut it all up.
There really should be some instructions to avoid confusion in the manual.

Ok my constructive help. I really like the "Protektor" rubber case for the Viso, Optima, and Solo, and it does make mounting a bit smoother. Also there is a pair of gloves avaliable that has a mount pocket on it that works nice.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I got it mounted to the wristmount and I would say the disadvantage is that I can't use it as wristmount and audible at the same time because I would have to cut it all up.

Is it an audible?

Dave

DING DING DING we have a winner.

It is an altimeter.

The Digital Swoop

The VISO comprises three instruments:

* Digital Alti-Meter- Stores detailed altitude information about the last jump for later review
* Digital Speed-Meter- Stores detailed speed information about the last jump for later review
* Jump Counter- Electronic logbook, storing and displaying information about the last 200 jumps.
- Can be used to keep track on the number of jumps on a rig.
- Can be reset at any time, but time and date for the last reset remains stored and cannot be erased.

VISO™ FEATURES:

* Digital Altimeter or Speed-Meter
* Electroluminescent backlight for night jumping. Can remain ON for several hours.
* Automatic calibration to local elevation LCD screen for easy and intuitive operation and information review
* Logbook with playback of altitude/speed profile for the last jump.
* Operational at sub-zero temperatures
* Comes with Velcro wrist mount

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think this has 'swoop beeps' on it though, if it does, i am not sure if that is such a good thing. I personaly am also against digital altimeters for people with such low jump numbers. They should stick to what they know as they have enough to concentrate on for time being.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The VISO is not an audible altimeter, it's a digital visual altimeter. The OPTIMA is L&B's audible altimeter that has swoop beeps (which can be turned off btw.) I use both (and a protrack too actually as a second audible / logbook ... I am an L&B whore ...)

Today's digital altimeters are waaaaaay more accurate than the classic alti-2, galaxy, FT-50, etc. so I wouldn't discount them outright for newer jumpers. I might, however, recommend something more along the lines of an altitrack which is a digital altimeter with a familiar analog readout. This style of readout can very quickly be polled by the eyes (i.e. which area of the face is the needle in?) and is probably easier to use for newer jumpers who already have a lot on their minds up there.

As far as mounting goes, I zip-tied my VISO directly to a small pillow-mount, and I wear it on the short side of my chest strap (it doesn't easily pass over the friction adapter so that way it can't move around.)

Yup like everyone else has been saying, tie the friggin thing down. Personally i made 4 seperate knots, one for each corner. I figure all 4 knots going at once was pretty unlikely. Where if you have 1 knot and it goes bye bye altimeter.

When I was in Z-hills before christmas I picked up a pair of gloves like in the pics below from sunshine factory. Im alot happier with the gloves than I am with L&B's provided mounts.

Maybe but they are not trained with digital numbers. Do you think they should then go and change what they have learnt so early on like after 30 jumps?

I Belive that they should be familiar with their gear straight out of AFF.

If they were trained with digital then so be it, but where does that happen?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store