airdvr

Does jumping define you?

I have a fairly diverse life wiht many differing activities to take up my time. With the weather sucking up here for Skydiving so much of the time, I am not willing to make a 2 hour drive to sit and hang out on the ground or HOPE to get in a hop and pop from 2k.

I would rather go play on my boat... go sailing if its windy..... kill some salmon at the right time of the year for it... go skiing up in the Cascades..... or go hiking in the high country of the American Alps.

So no Skydiving definitely does not define me.

It's cool, but no. I have higher priorities than throwing myself at the ground and hoping to miss.

That said, I'll never not be a skydiver. I have had to take time off for various reasons (like now), but even if I am completely unable to ever jump again, I am still a skydiver. Just like I'm still a mom when my kids move away, I'll still be a pilot even though I haven't taken the controls in weeks...I am not the type to ever say 'never again', unless it was a bad habit and best not to ever do it again. B|

I think what defines you is what you tell people when they ask you who you are and what your dream is.

:)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I really, really, really like skydiving, and I wish I could do more of it. I wish I were in a position to throw myself into it again and excel.

But even more than skydiving I love being a mom. I love my job even though it takes up SOOO much time. I love my BF and the fun things we do together besides skydiving. I love bicycling. I love camping and hiking and riding my Harley. I love going on night walks....and last night night bicycle rides around town. I love playing backyard baseball with my son or shooting pool with him before guitar lessons.

Most of those things I can do with my son, which is a bonus and often moves other activities up on my priority list....and unfortunately skydiving down. And then sometimes the house does have to be cleaned....

Even though I don't jump all that much, I still consider skydiving a very important part of my life. If I weren't so damned intent on squeezing way too many things into a day....maybe I wouldn't be so sleepy...lol.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I love bicycling. I love camping and hiking and riding my Harley. I love going on night walks....and last night night bicycle rides around town.

howyoo doin?

I'm with you though.... I'm not one of those people who 'lives to jump'. I won't go into severe debt to buy new gear or jump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dropped out for a long period too, whilst I was getting into other things... When I stopped, I tookup paragliding which gives me more time in the air and different challenges. A chance meeting with a Base jumper, who need a lift to an exit point and a subsequent long chat (beer was involved) persuaded me to jump again (not Base!).... Anyway, it's more than a hobbie but less than a big thing in my life.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

When I stopped jumping for about 8 years I didn't feel right. It defines me.

I had to stop when I had my baby. Its over 2.5 years on and Im just selling my kit (boo hoo), just dont have the time or money as a single Mum. Missing it like crazy. However having met the man I want to spend my life with, I know prorities change from time to time.

Skydiving is certainly something I enjoy, but more importantly, I really enjoy being a Mom. Since I'm a single mom, I choose to spend more time with my son than skydiving. I have many hobbies, and I can include my son in a lot of them. I also enjoy kayaking, hiking, reading, playing piano and just being outdoors. Hopefully one day I can throw myself into skydiving with more effort, but right now I choose to spend my precious time with my son. Priorities change when the little ones arrive!

One who looks for a friend without faults will have none. -- Hasidic Saying

I've only jumped 3 times this year cause I'm saving up for gear(not anywhere close to actually buying a complete rig.) So it cantreally define me. But more importantly I really enjoy being a wanker. Since I'm a single guy, I spend alot of 'alone' time with myself. I dont have many hobbies besides drinking box wine and streakin.

I got great defenition in my left hand...
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

No it doesn't, but I'm pretty new to the sport and it is a big part of my life. I am a full-time mom though and so I have to keep it all in balance. I believe skydiving helps me do everything else better, and do not think I have to sacrifice being a good mom to be good at skydiving....or the other way around!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

To paraphrase Donald Sutherland from the movie The Italian Job - "There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."
-----------------------------------
"There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."

I said its a big part of who I am.But who knows,I've been in the sport less than a year.I've moved on to a DZ fulltime,so some will say I've set myself up for an early burnout.They may,or may not be right.
I did it so I could pace myself,and not feel the urge to jump in unreasonable conditions.I'll let you know in a few years how much it defines me.Its just too soon to tell.:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Ummm, well I would've voted option 1, but i have more priorities nowadays, like keeping my GF and a job :P so #2 it is B|

But for a while it was my reason to live and its still a really big part of my life. I know that any time that I need to smile I can just remember the good jumps, or at the worst, just go take that big step out the aircraft door.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
:)

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

I did vote: "It's who I am...first and foremost"... but not to say that I'd be a different person if I didn't jump. I mean I would sort of be. I'd of not met the same people and made the same relationships and such... I think those things refine one's self as opposed to define. But "who I am" parallels so closely the "typical skydiver" that I couldn't vote any other way.

If anything, you could say it defines me in the sense that when speaking to a whuffo and they say: "All skydivers are crazy." I would typically respond with: "I am no exception."

lol

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!