BillyVance

My beloved pet died yesterday. Now I'm really PISSED!!!!

Yesterday was just like any normal day. It was beautiful outside. I let my cats out to have fun. My wife and I were busy tending to our 2 1/2 week old newborn baby girl, when I heard pounding on my front door. My neighbor across the street told me one of my cats had been attacked by a pack of 4 dogs. He and I ran out to where she was. She was obviously in shock, eyes wide and panting/crying and her midsection looking wet. She would not let my neighbor pick her up, but I gently cradled her in my arms while my neighbor's wife ran out with a towel and we wrapped her up in the towel. I took her inside. She was still breathing and yelping in pain. 2 minutes later she died in my arms.

My neighbor told me his wife saw the attack. The dogs stopped and ran off when she yelled at them. Her husband told me he knew exactly where they came from and was going over to their house to talk to the owner. I saw him come back home a little while later and he said the owner wasn't home. He had been over there many times in the past only to find nobody home. He and many other neighbors have had problems with these marauding dogs roaming the area, getting into the garbage and terrorizing/killing other pets. Animal Control is a joke. They won't do anything because these dogs all have collars.

This cat, my pet, was the last of her litter, which was born right in my house. Her two brothers also perished in the past 2 years, and I am pretty goddamned sure those MOTHERFUCKING dogs did something to them. I have seen those fuckers running across my property many times, and my neighbor has heard them barking all night, and even seen them barking up our oak tree at one of our other cats.

Right now, I keep thinking of what I'm gonna do to those dogs, and every scenario would make me a criminal. There is no law that would get me satisfaction. The only thing that would work is if these dogs bit or attacked a human, but they run as soon as they see someone.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? I have two cats left, and though they are my wariest and cautious cats and they love the outdoors (I have 3 acres for them to roam on) and they are good tree climbers, but those fucking dogs just don't give a shit what they do. It's their nature, and it's their goddamn owner's responsibility to control them, but if the owner's never home for any of us to talk to her, what then? My neighbor is going to talk to the police chief and see what he says. This is a small town, some 2000 people. Maybe in a big city, I could expect results, but a small town in the country?

As far as I'm concerned, if I see those dogs again, I'm going after them. I don't care how, but their roaming days are numbered.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy, so sorry you had to go through that. It sounds pretty traumatic to have to experience. :(

Do people know the owners of the dogs? If they're collared then they must have owners. I'd say start with them and give them a very graphic description of what those dogs did to your cat.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Kill the dogs and gut them. Present them to the owner as a gift.

Walt

You don't think I haven't thought of that too? I'd string them up hanging from their house's front porch if I was mean enough to. I'm mad as hell, but I'm not that sadistic.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So are you ever close enough to actually touch the dogs? We had a bunch of dogs that would visit our house almost everyday and I needed to get rid of them. I was thinking of all these horrible things to do to these dogs, but I'm not into animal cruliety. Anyways I kept thinking of getting a paint ball gun and shooting them, however I was afraid of hurting them. Then my mother came up with a great idea. Everytime they came over to my house I would throw on a pair of rubber gloves and grab some food dye and dye there asses. They were running around the neighborhood all different colors. It was quite amusing for me! The owners must of got tired of cleaning them, haven't seen much of them.

Billy-

I'm so sorry for your loss. Poor kitty :(

I don't know what else you can do if animal control is letting uncontrolled dogs kill your pets on your property, but I know if it were my cat that was attacked like that I would probably get myself in legal trouble taking care of those dogs (edit: and their owners) myself. >:(

Sorry to hear this. I can't really imagine the rage you have.
With a newborn I'd be even more pissed. What if that was your baby outside playing and they attacked. I'd say invest in a bear trap, but that could lead to one of you other cats getting killed by accident. Not to mention I'm not sure what the legalities of having a bear trap on your property are.
Maybe a friend from out of town could pay a visit to said animals. If animal control doesn't care about them now why should they care when the dissappear?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

So are you ever close enough to actually touch the dogs?

Never... They run as soon as I come out of the house. :| They seem to know when to run. >:(

I would follow through with police if there is a leash law. My greyhound, Omar, who died two weeks ago, was mauled by a dog that should have been on a harness. ANYWAY, the owner payed Omar's bills and begged me not to pursue charges while stressing his dog was a rescue as well and that he PROMISED his dog would never be without a harness again. Two weeks later I look up and he and his dog are hiding behind a tree, waiting for me to keep walking. Also found out that a dog was killed by his dog. Shortly thereafter I moved and didn't have time to follow up and I always regretted it.

Do what you have to do honor the pet you lost, to keep the ones you have safe, and to protect what other people and or pets that are potential targets in the future.

sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear this. I can't really imagine the rage you have.
With a newborn I'd be even more pissed. What if that was your baby outside playing and they attacked. I'd say invest in a bear trap, but that could lead to one of you other cats getting killed by accident. Not to mention I'm not sure what the legalities of having a bear trap on your property are.
Maybe a friend from out of town could pay a visit to said animals. If animal control doesn't care about them now why should they care when the dissappear?

Exactly my point. If nobody seems to care about them, they won't care when the dogs disappear. Maybe not a bear trap, but a cage with alpo inside. At least they won't get hurt, but they'll be trapped and at my mercy. :| These dogs are all about the size of your average lab.

I would follow through with police if there is a leash law. .

No leash law here. It's a small rural town. I said there is no law that will help me in my situation. I'm sorry you went through the same thing.

That said, let me see what my neighbor finds out from the police chief.

Walt

You don't think I haven't thought of that too? I'd string them up hanging from their house's front porch if I was mean enough to. I'm mad as hell, but I'm not that sadistic.

No need to be inhumane to the dogs. If they are loose, it's hunting time.

Walt

Two Wrongs don’t make it right and it will not bring Billy’s pet back.

Billy I am sorry for your loss. Anyones pet is like a Family member.

Contact the Police department NOT animal control. See if you can bring any charges against the owners. You can also file a suit in small claims against the owners. It is not about money so much as letting the owners of the dogs know that they ARE responsible for their dogs actions.

Billy I would say.. live trap them.. and take the dogs to the humane society far away.. perhaps the new owners would be more attuned to taking care of their new pet.... OR if the dogs are not friendly and do not get adopted.. they will be put down and no longer a threat as a wild pack of feral killers.

its kind of disgusting, but find some road kill and put it on the road in front of the owner's house. dogs can't resist rolling in something dead. the owner will have a much tougher time getting the smell out of them than you will have putting it there.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

You really need to go after the owners of these dogs...the dogs were behaving well, like dogs...when there are more then two in a group they automatically turn into a pack, hunt as a pack and live as a pack...it is truly the owners fault, not the dogs. Go to City hall, start screaming about it.... laws and ordinances, you know?....then to the police station, ask them what you as a citizen, can do.

So sorry for your loss.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Billy I would say.. live trap them.. and take the dogs to the humane society far away.. perhaps the new owners would be more attuned to taking care of their new pet.... OR if the dogs are not friendly and do not get adopted.. they will be put down and no longer a threat as a wild pack of feral killers.

This is the best response yet. Don't punish the dogs because they have a dead beat owner take them someplace where they can be attended to properly.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Two Wrongs don’t make it right and it will not bring Billy’s pet back.

Billy I am sorry for your loss. Anyones pet is like a Family member.

Contact the Police department NOT animal control. See if you can bring any charges against the owners. You can also file a suit in small claims against the owners. It is not about money so much as letting the owners of the dogs know that they ARE responsible for their dogs actions.

If you retaliate against the dogs, like, say, leaving out lumps of ground beef heavily laced with rat poison, you invite a neighborhood feud that could get very ugly and out of hand. Sure, you may think this is anonymous, but the owners have probably heard thru the neighborhood grapevine what happened to your cat; and in any event, you could easily wind up poisoning a non-involved animal.

I agree that speaking with the police should be your first step. Even without a leash law, they should know if any laws or ordinances were violated. And even if they were not, if you can ID the owners of the dogs, the cops may be willing to give them a talking-to just to keep the peace. Perhaps if you could use this informal means to get an apology from the owners, together with their payment for a replacement, that might bring as much closure as you can get w/o taking it further.

If the owners deny their dogs were guilty, or just refuse to cooperate, you can probably sue the owners. Unfortunately, in these cases, you might be limited to recovering simply the replacement value of the cat, but the point will be made. Most states don't provide for punitive damages in such a case, but a few do, by statute. I don't know about Alabama.

Don't you guys have an "Animal Cops, ALABAMA"?

Anyway, I found this online:

Law § 3-1-5: Permitting dogs to run at large; applicability of provisions of section in counties and certain cities or towns.
Translation: Every dog owner must keep the dog restricted to his or her own property. This does not
mean that the dog may never accompany the owner or person in charge off of the property. This is
also separate from county laws that require a license tag to be kept on dogs.

There's something else about dogs that kill livestock but I don't know if it applies.

I found it HERE

Sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I am really sorry for your cat and the loss of your pet

I would first write a long letter to the owner and have as many people as you can sign it.

Tape a copy to his/her door she has to come home some time. In the letter make sure to ask her to contact you ASAP if you don’t hear from her in a week or so then move to plane B.

Maybe she has no idea that her dogs are pissing everyone off.

IMO I would rather beat the fuck out of the owner then the dogs.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

This is just sick. Does this mean that Waltappel would molest a neighbor's child if this guy had molested his child? Because I would react exactly the same way if somebody did this to one of my dogs or molested my child. I would unload my .45 on that person.

If you retaliate against the dogs, like, say, leaving out lumps of ground beef heavily laced with rat poison, you invite a neighborhood feud that could get very ugly and out of hand. ,
======================
Oh so if he could get away with it it would make sense to kill the dogs?

----------------------------------------------------

Perhaps if you could use this informal means to get an apology from the owners, together with their payment for a replacement,

Oh so an apology will make it all better and you can replace the cat with $100. so everybody could be happy?
Are you aware that many spend thousands of dollars in vet bills to save their pets. If pets were just a piece of property, it would be a lot cheaper to just kill them and get a new one.

In my opinion anybody who considers a pet property should not be allowed to have one.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.