Ragnarok

PRK Laser eye surgery - - - I can SEE!!!

A big two thumbs up for this procedure! Outside of the day or two of intense discomfort, which Percocet worked well, I am amazed. It is like I am seeing everything for the first time. All the colors and everything is just so clear!

I am grounded for 30 days, not too big of a deal, I can still hang out at the DZ and buy beer. Another jumper with a coach rating is going to hook me up with a currency dive, so it is all good.

Oh, I broke up with my girlfriend - but it is ok - she was psycho.

If anyone is thinking about getting this done, I will be happy to share my experience.

just wondering:

why don't they let you skydive for a month after getting lasik eye surgery?

Just a guess, but think about what the wind at freefall speeds does to your jumpsuit and skin. Now imagine losing your goggles while the front of your eyeball is essentially just a loose flap.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

In lasik, there is a flap. It needs to heal - though it never fully heals - and it may get loose. THis is a rare problem. In PRK, there is no flap, and the surface of your eye needs to heal. I may be able to jump in another couple weeks if all goes well.

Is is just your eyesight, afterall............B|

I've been thinking about getting PRK for well over a year now, so I can shift careers from a desk job to something.. more interesting. I've read a fair bit on the web, but a first hand account is always more interesting.

Where did you get it done? How much did you pay? How long did the consultation and procedure take? What made you choose PRK over LASEK and LASIK?

A License
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within--
1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups
2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall

You are good to go brother. this is straight from the SIM
Section 5-2:D
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Where did you get it done? How much did you pay? How long did the consultation and procedure take? What made you choose PRK over LASEK and LASIK?

Which surgery to get is different for everyone, and really between patient and doc, it's based on Rx, pupil size, corneal thickness, dry eye, end goals, etc.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Which surgery to get is different for everyone, and really between patient and doc, it's based on Rx, pupil size, corneal thickness, dry eye, end goals, etc.

What she said. It's different for everyone.

I'm getting Zyoptix Lasik on May 19th. Couldn't get regular Lasik because my corneas were too steep and my pupils were too big.

Info available on that procedure here http://www.lasikmd.ca/en/lasik-md/zyoptix-custom-wavefront.html

For the price I'm paying ($2000) I also get a LIFETIME guarantee so if they have to redo it, there's no cost to me along with 5 years of eye exams at no charge (that alone is worth about $300).

I'm looking forward to seeing without glasses!

'Shell

Edited to add: If anyone's interested in the 24 page surgical information package they emailed me when I booked my pre-op assessment, let me know and I'll send it to you. Had a lot of info on the different procedures, who's a potential candidate, etc.
'Shell

I've been thinking about getting PRK for well over a year now, so I can shift careers from a desk job to something.. more interesting. I've read a fair bit on the web, but a first hand account is always more interesting.

I had it done in Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. Military base. I paid nothing, benefit for being active duty. I had a pre-op consult/exam that took all of an hour. After I got to Ft. Campbell, it was another few exams, and later in the afternoon, I had the procedure.