JordanCraft7

Gear for new jumper

Hey everyone, I recently graduated AFF and am well on my way getting my A license (hopefully get it in two weeks blue skies permitting) and I'm thinking about getting my own rig.

I figured it'd be a good idea to post on here what I was thinking about getting and seeing what other, more experienced skydivers thought.

I am military and because of that I can get 50% off wings containers. I am therefore planning on ordering a new wings container

For the reserve I was thinking of either a used PD160 or PD176 (i'm 5'11 175). I've found some reserves at good prices but was wondering how far back an acceptable DOM for a reserve would be. Is a PD176 from '92 too old?

As far as main canopies go I've pretty much decided i want a used Spectre or Sabre2 190 (again i'm 5'11 and weigh 175). I want a canopy with less than 400 jumps on it and one that has atleast 200 jumps on it before needing new lines. I plan on getting the wings container cut for a 170 but can fit a 190 (that way i can downsize in the future)

For the AAD, pretty much the standard Cypres. Looking for one with about 4-8 years left on it.

So, I guess the purpose of this post is to get opinions from other skydivers on the gear i am looking at and see if it will last me for a few years (until I can graduate the academy and start making decent money haha)

thanks, blue skies!

I plan on getting the wings container cut for a 170 but can fit a 190 (that way i can downsize in the future)

You can go as small as a 150 in a container built for a 190. By the time your skills are to the point that you can safely fly/land a 135 you'll be ready for a new container and probably a new and smaller reserve as well.

Have your container built for what you intend to put in it now. Unless of course you think you'll enjoy struggling to pack 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag built to fit 170 sq ft of slippery snot...:S

I plan on getting the wings container cut for a 170 but can fit a 190 (that way i can downsize in the future)

You can go as small as a 150 in a container built for a 190. By the time your skills are to the point that you can safely fly/land a 135 you'll be ready for a new container and probably a new and smaller reserve as well.

Have your container built for what you intend to put in it now. Unless of course you think you'll enjoy struggling to pack 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag built to fit 170 sq ft of slippery snot...:S

amen to that. Get it so it is built for the 190. not the other way around.
Either that or if you plan on doing alot of jumps over the 6-8 weeks that it is being made and you figure you will be getting ready to downsize then get it made for a 170 and buy everything 170... while it is being made do 100 jumps over those 8 weeks on the 190 hire kit or demo kit and get yourself ready for your new 170.

My wings was for a 150 and i ended up having a 129 fitting very nice in it. It would not have been a good idea to be putting another size down in it nor up.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

For the reserve I was thinking of either a used PD160 or PD176 (i'm 5'11 175). I've found some reserves at good prices but was wondering how far back an acceptable DOM for a reserve would be. Is a PD176 from '92 too old?

You might double-check me on this, but I don't think it's the age of the PD reserve as much as it's the number of X's on the panel that show how many reserve repacks it has before it needs to go back to the factory for inspection.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am military and because of that I can get 50% off wings containers. I am therefore planning on ordering a new wings container

That still yields a $700-$800 container. I paid that much for my last used Javelin including the reserve.

You will spend substantially less on your whole package if you find a complete used rig that some one wants to get rid of to buy new gear, get out of the sport,etc. Since you've yet to graduate and "make real money" that's probably the path you should take. Spend your savings on wind tunnel time and/or jumps.

You fall into the normal size-range for guys and should not have a problem finding something which fits well if your torso to leg length ratio isn't out of wack.

Take your height, subtract your inseam,and subtract 20. That should yield your approximate harness size.

For example, I'm 5'10" with a 30.5" inseam. 70 - 20 - 30.5 = 19.5 which is spot on for at least one of my custom rigs. Some manufacturers explicitly state main lift web length (ie, javelin C-17 would be a 17" main lift web with average male sized yoke), you'd have to measure on some. Manufacturers keep the original information on file by serial number so you can check before buying.

If you can't find something that fits, the wings at half off might be a good deal.

You probably don't want to struggle with getting a canopy that's a size to big in the bag.

For the AAD, pretty much the standard Cypres. Looking for one with about 4-8 years left on it.

You need to be careful on the AAD because a lot are over-priced. Total cost for you should be $11-$12/month over the rest of its life after you figure in the battery replacements and maintenance costs.

So, I guess the purpose of this post is to get opinions from other skydivers on the gear i am looking at and see if it will last me for a few years (until I can graduate the academy and start making decent money haha)

A rig built for a 190 will get you through ~450 jumps - ~150 each on a 190,170, and 150. 150-200 a year is reasonable as a recreational skydiver depending on weather and budget ($3500-$4500/year).

After that you may be ready to downsize to a 135; the container will hold down to a 105/107; if you want to go smaller you'll jump a cross-braced design that packs up bigger; and you'll be at a point where you'll be happy indefinitely with the container. I think I've had the same container size for the last 9 years. They fit my 105 for swooping, were built for the 135 I use for wingsuits, and I can squeeze a Lightning 143 in for CRW.

You might double-check me on this, but I don't think it's the age of the PD reserve as much as it's the number of X's on the panel that show how many reserve repacks it has before it needs to go back to the factory for inspection.

You get 25 X marks (use & repack) or 40X marks. This will be approximated by the packing data card that may include some "pencil packs".

If the rig has been in continuous service since 1992, with a 120 day repack interval it'll have gone past that point.

If its been sitting in a closet for parts of that (quite likely) it won't.

yeah, what everyone said. It seems as all wings containers are pretty tight, so you'll have a really hard time packing the 190 into 170 dbag/tray.
My Wings EXT is built for 120 main. Sabre120 was a brick in it. Now st97 fits really nicely in it, I could even say a little tight. Can probably still go one size down without any concerns.
Get yourself a container built for whatever canopy you want to be putting in it (190/170).