KNewman

Trying to gain sewing skills

I have a question for those who are riggers. (I hope this doesn't sound silly). I have finally talked my wife into letting me use her gabillion dollar sewing machine so that I can start learning to sew. (I want to earn my riggers ticket in the far off future, but have no sewing know how). After I kill a few yards of fabric to get the feel for the machine I would like to make a gear bag for my rig. Where can I find patterns so I have a "base" to start with. I don't know anything about fabric design and don't want to waste a lot of fabric on something that won't work. Any suggestions? Or is this to big of a starter project?

Thanks
Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

Did you not take sewing class in school? Maybe there is an adult ed program out there as well in your area.
I would say just start sewing, learn some diffrent seams and just start sewing.
The gear bag, get an idea of what you, draw it out with the sizes you want and build it.. sewing is construction work, just no hammer and nails!
I often just sit down on the floor with no patterne but an idea in my head and start building. sometimes I am just wasting time as it's a creative outlet like painting could be for artist.
last thought, if you are going to be a rigger and have the cash.. go buy a real machine and not your wifes machine!

Here are some picks I did of a mini rig/backpack for my friends son! nothing to go by, i just started cutting and sewing.
www.greenboxphotography.com

JD

I wasn't smart enough to take a sewing class when I was in school. My wife is a master at the art so she will teach me. I am looking for an industrial machine as we speak. (Should have one by December). How long did it take you before you were able to craft the backpack? (Thats pretty cool by the way.)

Thanks
Kevin

As a Senior rigger you really don't need an industrial machine for awhile. And as to using your wife's fancy one you may not want to use that.

I've went through two home zig zag machines in about 15 years. Everything from patching up to making toggles (6 layers of type 4) and replacing lots of velcro. Most home machines and just take size E thread and 18 (110 needles) but it tends to wear them out. Especially if they are specially set up for it. Check out used machines at local stores or goodwill. Older Viking, Necchi, and slant singers work pretty well for learning. There are still some things that my home machine works better for than my commercial machines and having the free arm most have is usefull. And you can add Paragears inexpensive folder to do binding tape. You might need to drill and tap a hole or two. Or you can tape it on but it's too hard to switch back and forth.

I'm essentially self taught. I couldn't make a piece of clothing to save my life but I'm okay with the parachute stuff. My first projects were a log book cover, gear bag and drag mat.

If you've got the money to put into a commercial machine great. But stay away from the newer Singer 20u's and the cloans. They all seem to come from the same chinese factory, range in price from $500 to $900 new for exactly the same thing and often have quality problems. Older blue Singer 20Us were made in Japan. Those are worth buying. There are other better machines to choose from but some are hard to find used. Depending where you are there may be a reasonbly close commercial machine dealer that might be worth checking out. Don't try to buy a commercial machine from a local store that has one on display in the corner or will order one for you. The price will likely be serveral hundred dollars too high.

Local fabric stores often carry cordura and light weight ripstop nylon (not parachute fabric though) for outdoor projects. Upholstery thread size 69 is the same size as E thread. Check out the pattern cabinents there for book bags or similar stuff. You may be able to adapt something to your purpose. Most of the stuff I've made I've just figured out one on my own.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When I was a kid, about 7-yrs. old, I was fascinated with sewing and especially sewing machines. I started-out, learning to sew by hand with a needle and thread. I watched my mother and grandmother make draperies for their homes as well as clothing. One day, my mom sat me down at her sewing machine and showed me step by step, how the machine operated and how to operate it. I was fortunate to have the 'one on one' training. I've been sewing ever since.
I would suggest checking with one of your local fabric stores or a local junior college for classes. Even your local high school. They will sometimes have adult evening classes. Trying to teach yourself, can be quite tedious. Little steps! Good luck to you!

Chuck

Kevin, like CMan said, it may not be a good idea to plan on using your wife's fancy sewing machine for anything other then a very few first practice runs. To preserve your marriage, it may be better to go buy yourself an inexpensive home manchine of your own.

I too would like to have an industrial machine, but they can get really expensive really quick. Every once in awhile though, you can run across one that's in good working order and the seller doesn't know what they have and you can pick it up cheap, but such "finds" are few and far in between and can eat up a lot of your time searching for them... time you'd probably rather spend jumping or rigging.

Harbor freight does sell a straight stich industrial sewing machine that you can get with a table (sold seperately) for around $500. The machine is made by Chicago Tools (I think) and is some sort of a Singer knock off. I've heard so-so things about it. They also have a walking-foot model for a few hundred more. Even a used Singer, or Juki (sp?), or Consew (sp?) with a talbe is going to set you back a lot, if its in good working order, if not (needs work), maybe less, but the best I can tell, fixing sewing machines is a black art. :D

As far as a good "starter project"... a gear bag would be a good one... but if you're looking for something a bit smaller... i.e. to kill less material... I'd recommend a log book cover. It will get you doing things like biding tape (ah, the fun of making corners)... zippers and Velcro... and you can do things like add several inside pockets too for tickets, pens, business cards from DZs, lofts, etc. As far as patterns... dude... do what MOST other folks that have gone before you have done... find one you like and COPY it. :o:D:P;):):)

https://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/viaShellPage.jsp?readPage=https://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/CustomPages/swn.htm

Way back when I started to make climbing chalk bags, ect. and other stuff learned on a old singer and the show. As a teen living in fear of being caught by friends watching a PBS sewing show.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

As far as patterns... dude... do what MOST other folks that have gone before you have done... find one you like and COPY it.

Yup.

And the best way to learn how things are constructed is to deconstruct them. Grab a seam ripper and do some reverse sewing on your logbook cover. Use the pieces to make your pattern.

You might want to check out your local community college even if you don't want to take a class. If they offer sewing and/or pattern making classes they'll have books on the subject in the bookstore. Write down the ISBN #'s and then buy 'em online.

My sewing machine (and I'm a very very very beginning rigger) is a Singer 31-15 that I picked up out of the classifieds for $100. It works for most sewing projects I've done so far. When I need anything else, I drive a mile to Dave DeWolf's loft and he lets me use anything of his that I want to :P

My first sewing project was making shot bags. There are step by step instructions on Dave's web site. http://www.paraloft.com/rt_shotbags.htm It was easy to do as a first sewing project, and I've used them for every repack I've done since.

Second project was a little keeper for my protrack, so I could stick it in my Protec helmet and it had some degree of cover. My mistake was making it a green bag... which I lost in the grass once. Fortunately found it again, but time to make a new one in a higher contrast color!

I haven't done a lot of sewing, but each project I have done gets more complicated (and more fun!). Like everyone else said, come up with your own ideas and patters, you'll learn more that way. Trial and error can be frustrating, but you'll learn quick to laugh at yourself :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My sewing machine (and I'm a very very very beginning rigger) is a Singer 31-15 that I picked up out of the classifieds for $100.

One thing I keep meaning to do is go around my home town and make note of all the "seamstress", "tayloring" and "embrodery" shops around town. Seems to me from time to time someone gets the great idea to start up a hobby business along these lines, only to go out of business after a brief period... might be a good place to pick-up some "gotta sell em now to pay the back rent" sewing machines. :S

I signed up for a Home Economics course when I was in high school figuring the class would be full of girls. At 17 I was more interested in sowing not sewing and it turned out I was the only boy in class. But our first project was producing a simple vest and it turned out I had a talent around sewing machines. That summer I purchased an old Singer machine and rebuilt it including the motor.

When years later I became a rigger the sewing part was easy for me, so that class paid off, in more ways than one. ;)

NickD :)BASE 194

For heavy-duty, table-top sewing machines, try Sailrite.
Sailrite will also sell you kits to make sails for your small boat. Since most parachute rigging techniques are derived from sail-making, that is a good place to learn.

As for home sewing machines, I sewed a couple of kit canopies on an ancient PFAFF 230. It would handle size 18 needles (European 110) and E Thread (commercial size 69) all day.
About the only thing it would not sew were the hems on jeans. Not to worry, hardly any home sewing machines can sew jean hems.
Tee!
Hee!

Forget about fancy home sewing machines - with a million different types of fancy embroidery stitches. Those machines delete cast iron in favor of electronic chips.
Only cast iron will hold the needle in alignment when sewing through heavy fabric.

Terry and everyone else

Thanks for the responses!!!!! My wife is looking for an industrial machine (she has a friend that has an in for older models!!) and is a very good teacher as far as making clothes. I have an old jumpsuit we are going to deconstruct and remake. My main focus is to gain useful experience while I learn about rigging. I have the books that everyone said to read and am going over all the posts I can find in this forum. I am sure I will be able to get the sewing experience I need, I just have to figure out how to get the repack experience. I am in the military and don't have a very stable work schedule where I can spend every weekend at the DZ. It will take time and effort but I am excited about learning and will do what I can until I retire and can devote the time to get the repacks. I just figured I would start with the sewing aspects as it is something my wife can help me with and she actually sounds interested in!! Anyway, thanks for all the info and don't stop now keep it coming.

Kevin

Like many other posters, I am largely self-taught when it comes to sewing.

Back in the 1970s, I cut my teeth on kits from Frostline and Halobar, making my own sleeping bags, back packs and jackets. Those companies are long gone, but their spirit survives on the inter-net.
For example, Ray Jardine will cheerfully sell you kits to make ultra-lite hiking equipment (back packs, sleeping bags and jackets.
Several websites also contain tutorials on how to sew your own ultr-lite hiking gear.

To learn how to sew Cordura and heavy pack cloth, visit www.diytactical.com

Local colleges and high schools and sewing shops often host short courses on sewing.

Jen

Thanks for the response!! Mr. DeWolf's class is going to be my retirement present to myself when I retire!!!! I was thinking about the shot bags as I was typing up the first post. Thanks for the link. I think I will start out with the shot bags, do a logbook cover and try to design a decent gear bag. That ought to keep me busy for a week or two:P:P

Kevin

The project of the rig back pack took me about one hour from start to finish.. I had no pattern to go from and the kid i was making it for was not available for sizing either.. everything fit him great after the fact so that was luck I guess.

I have had about 7 industrial machines, all purcahsed from clothing companys going over seas and one upholstery dude going out of business.. no machine cost me over 100$ and I got two for 100$ once. I quick resold the machine to fellow riggers at cheap prices as well.

I do more sewing for rock climbers, back packers then for anything else.

My mother who worked in a garmet factory taught me how to sew and since we where dirt poor it was a must for us to lessen the cost of clothing for the family. In school I took sewing classes as I already could sew and it was an easy grade for me when I struggled in other areas. helped balance out my grades a bit.
www.greenboxphotography.com

Dave's class is great. If you need a place to stay when you take the course, let me know. We open our house to one person a year for free food/lodging during the course since we're right down the street.

Just to echo Terry's post below mine, buy used stuff. Ebay is good, but if you want a good machine, call Dave, he refurbishes them and sells them and would probably be able to help you out... VA isn't that far of a drive :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Forget the harbor freight crap. I looked at them and they are the worst version of knockoffs. MUCH better buying a used machine. Ebay industrial sewing machines and you can limit the search to miles from your zip code. I've bought two off ebay. Also search commercial instead of industrial. Some people list them there instead. Mark Lancaster, MEL, on here in one of the Carolinas has a bunch of used machines but last I knew not a zig zag that you might want. Also check out craigs list. I'm sure out in Virginia there are probably used sewing machine dealers.

For home "commercial" crafting machine a lot of people like the bernina 950 but they're $1600 new.

And they're right. You get to know every seam ripper there is. I currently like the ones based on suture removal tools. But don't buy them from the Nancy's notions or the local store. Get a catalog from one of the industrial suppliers. I think Universal is the one I'm using now. Google everything and you'll find it cheaper. For instance, industrial needles at the local shop were $6 for 10. From the supply houses they're $15 for a hundred.

But get locked into the industrial supply places to save a lot of money.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Forget the harbor freight crap. I looked at them and they are the worst version of knockoffs.

Yeah. I didn't mean to push them. At best, I've heard they're "so-so"... no pun intended... ;) I've never seen one of the Harbor Freight / Chicago Tool ones in person (would want to before buying), but I figured they were a knock-off of a Singer 2491D-300A, or something about like that.

If you go to eBay, these guys...

http://sewinggold.com/Index.html

... almost always have several on auction at any given time.

And the best way to learn how things are constructed is to deconstruct them. Grab a seam ripper and do some reverse sewing on your logbook cover. Use the pieces to make your pattern.

That worked for me. I'm not a rigger, but I recently (thanks to skydiving) took up sewing. I had purchased an "el cheapo" used jumpsuit that was very snug, and I fell pretty fast to begin with. Anyhow, I decided to modify the jumpsuit. I bought a $50 Brother sewing machine found on craigslist (don't start on how poor quality the Brother products are, I'm a hack and I don't expect it to be perfect or last forever). I spent a couple of hours with a seam-ripper and took the jumpsuit apart at the outside seams (clam-shell style). I bought a couple of yards of similar weight material, ran it through the washing machine, made a simple pattern based on the seam I had opened, cut material, and started sewing the "Franken-Suit" back together.

By the end of this phase of the Franken-Suit project, I had a good handle on all of the stitch styles that I could do. There are still a few seam types that I want to figure out, but this was a great start for me. With almost 4" of extra material hemmed on the legs, the next phase is booties, or swoop-cords, or new grippers, or maybe a whole new jumpsuit.

Just go sew...but watch out for your wife's machine. It would suck to screw it up...unless she wants a new one. I'm not a rigger (did I say that already).

- David

David

That's a very niceB| I have a Tony suit that I got for el-cheapo!! I am going to do the Frankensuit thingy with it too! I need to add some in the same areas that you did. I also have a Bev Suit (not a deconstuct project) that I am going to do sleeves for. The sleeves are spandex and I am going to make a pair of slip ons. The slip ons are where I am going to start.

Thanks for the pics

Kevin