SkyDivinRyan

Icon Sport

I did a couple of searches regarding the Icon sport . I only came up with very old posts . This is why I wanted to start another thread concerning the Icon sport and its quality and features. So fire away on your thoughts of this container system pros and cons . Also if you could compare it to the wings system which is better in you opinion cheers

I did a couple of searches regarding the Icon sport . I only came up with very old posts . This is why I wanted to start another thread concerning the Icon sport and its quality and features. So fire away on your thoughts of this container system pros and cons . Also if you could compare it to the wings system which is better in you opinion cheers

Ryan,

There are many great harness container systems on the market (rigs), and each has pros and cons.

If you'd like more info on the Icon Sport, please feel free to contact me at the office or visit our website

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/products/icon.asp

Looking forward to hearing from you

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300

www.flyaerodyne.com
www.myspace.com/flyaerodyne:)

Ryan,

There are many great harness container systems on the market (rigs), and each has pros and cons.

If you'd like more info on the Icon Sport, please feel free to contact me at the office or visit our website

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/products/icon.asp

Looking forward to hearing from you

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300

www.flyaerodyne.com
www.myspace.com/flyaerodyne:)

Hi Karl,

Punctuation and grammar notwithstanding, I think that Ryan's "which is better in you opinion" was his question, not his statement.

The following are my personal opinions...

I really like the line stow system on the freebag of the Icon Sport. But I do wonder how well the elastic loops will age. Of course, they are not generally exposed to the elements, so I hope/expect they will age well.

Regarding the Wings, I like the open mouth design of the Wings freebag.

I wish we could more easily cross-pollinate designs, but current feelings regarding intellectual property make that a problem.

I find that Icons are more easily made to look nice at a repack. The semi-pop-top on the Wings gives many riggers a hard time making it look really good. But all it takes is practice. Because of the Wings-centric nature of my home DZ, I do a lot of Wings, and some Icons, so I have gotten pretty good at making Wings look nice.

Both systems are well made, and I have had good customer support experiences with both organizations. From the jumper-owner point of view, preferences will be subjective. Some will like the Icon, and others will like the Wings. Neither is wrong.

If either supplier wanted to send a free h/c my way, I would be happy to have and jump either.;)

my opinion:

Pros: great cutaway/reserve handles, above-average asthetics, I've seen some killer combo deals if you buy icon/smart/pilot or even icon/smart/sabre2.

cons: no skyhook (yet).

Overall, I think it's as good as Vector, Mirage, Infinity, Wings, Voodoo, Vortex II... As a small rant, the 3-ring system is a gimmick, but it's not going to harm anything.

I personally have a distate for wings, but I don't really have valid quality/saftey reasons for that, so feel free to ignore me.;)

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

cons: no skyhook (yet).

As a small rant, the 3-ring system is a gimmick, but it's not going to harm anything.

During PIA, Aerodyne along with a few other manufacturers licensed the SkyHook from Bill Booth, once the needed testing and revisions to the reserve container have been made and approved, the Icon will be SkyHook ready.

The Mini Force System, is far from a gimmick, and without getting into a debate on this, if you would like more info, please visit our website

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/miniforce.pdf

Blue Skies
Karl

Last winter I talked my room mate into buying a new WINGS. He is really happy with his new WINGS.

Last week I supervised a rigger apprentice packing his ICON. Nice rig.

Today I assembled and packed a brand new WINGS.

Both good rigs, at the top of the heap.

Ryan,

I don't claim to know lots about everything - or even a little about a lot.

But I do know what I've experienced after 34 years in the sport as an owner of countless rigs - and also 30-someting years assembling and repacking reserves. Oh, I guess I've been the occasional user of reserves as well.

I own an Icon at present. I love how it looks - how comfortable it is - the quality of its' build - the ease in which the reserve packs - the innovative things (including the fantastic freeebag stows) - and now after 3 years of use, its' durability. I'm certain when it's time to onsell it will also have good resale value.

I have had a number of rigs in past years of which i would have made similar comments on at the time. Of course most could now be regarded as museum pieces. But they were state of the art in their day. Notably I owned and jumped two Mirage rigs, which gave great service.

I have also had cause to call on Aerodyne's customer service - when needing a spare part (lost a cable last malfunction). They responded with speed and efficiency.

I also like the look of Wings and may even consider buying one some day. But if that's the case, I'm sure I'll have a difficult time choosing between Wings and another Icon.

Speaking of likes - I like the thought of Skyhook on my next rig. So having that as an option will have an impact on my decision making process.

It seems that Icon will soon have Skyhook - not sure about Wings. Any comments from out there on Skyhook option on Wings and Icon?

So as many have commented above, most rigs these days are well made, good looking, functional and durable. Jumpers have their personal preferences. My last choice was Icon (plus aerodyne main and reserve) and I'm delighted with it. Others have chosen Wings and those I have spoken with are also delighted with their choice.

You asked for comments - mine are all positive with Icon and Aerodyne.

Life is good - stay safe.

fergs

Hi Ryan

I was in fact sponsored and jumping a wings for quite some time and then was offered a job at aerodyne, which i did for a short while. When i left i was in a position to go back to jumping any container.

I am still jumping the icon and have had about five of them in about three years.

There has been many changes and improvements in that time both on the outside and on the inside. This to me is a huge plus because i know the company is constantly working on improving the container, i have it on good authority that the skyhook version of the container is really really neat and i will be getting one when it is released.

pros for icon:
I like the miniforce system. i have had back to back cutaways one with and one without and yes i could tell a difference.

The newer icons are really really comfortable and are so from day one, not after a hundred jumps of breaking in.

i really like the dynamic corners inside the rig, they really help with preventing linetwists, especially if you're a bend at the waist to deploy kind of person (like me).

cleanest reserve line deployment i have ever seen on video because of the stow system.

it comes with everything already stainless and articulated and all that jazz which most companies tack on hundreds of dollars for. Most options are included in the base price

Cons: some of the older icons would require a college degree in packing to get the wrinkles out of the main tray, but i must say the newer ones pack up really nicely and this problem has been addressed.

some of the really older ones had really thin leg straps that were uncomfortable under really long canopy flights. again this has changed.

i wish the laterals had that fancy padding that you get on a javelin but that is just me personally.

Wings: pros

I like the design of the rig, really simple and it looks good.

They are really comfortable too but take quite a while to break in a new one from feeling stiff on your back.

i like the external pop top

really like the cordura boc

comes with many tiedie color options (extra)

it is pretty cheap too as far as containers go but the base price is a bare rig and has no options on it so remember to have the same options on both before making a price comparison.

Cons

It packs up rediculously tight. in fact most people order a size up.

The reserve pack job is a little different and a lot of riggers can ruin the look of the container by not putting enough material in the ears or by packing it like any other container.

I wish it had more riser protection to help with sloppy packing, i have seen heaps of toggles sticking out a little but with some extra attention this is really just operater error.

like i said i have jumped both alot

pm me for more details

Oh and i love both containers

I've packed quite a few Wings (Our Dropzone has all Student Wings...) and Icons, and I agree that they are totally different animals. It took me a good 25 wings reserve repacks to be able to fill the ears correctly and return a good looking rig. I feel that there are many wings that are too tight - Personally I like to have the Reserve Pilot chute a tad depressed and sunk a bit compared to the material around the edge, but too often that just isn't possible when packing a very tight rig.

As far as the Icon is concerned, The thing I like about it most is the simplicity. Realistically speaking, it seems to me to be a more secure version of the Vector-2. It's easy to pack, secure, and flexible. I like it a lot.

There are a lot of good designs out there, and IMHO, there really are no bad rigs on the market. Just pick your flavor. I bought a Racer and My next rig will be a racer, but that's just me...:)

=========Shaun ==========

I am a low experienced jumper and have just bought my first rig. When I was looking around I asked everyone at my DZ about their rigs and what they thought about them. The three guys with an Icon where the only ones who where actually 100% happy with them!!

So that coupled with it’s looks, included options as standard and the priced I ordered one!

Now over in the states and jumping it, its brilliant! 

(sorry – not a technical review)

I’ve had an Icon/Pilot/Smart since June. It’s just had its first repack and a couple of minor problems came to light. :(

I’ve just e-mailed Aerodyne so I’ll let you all know what their customer service is like ...

PH36 Canopy Formation Team.
www.skydive99.com
www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/PH36-Canopy-Formati