Broke

I hate those Lance Armstrong wanna bes

Damn bike people take all the fun out of a "bike ride".

It ain't fun until the sweat is pouring, your lungs are burning, you have to curse yourself with each breath you let out just to keep going and you know that round the next corner the road cuts right back into the steepest part of the slope and it won't let up until you've reached the top and once you get to the summit you can see the next hill on your route that you know is tougher than this one..... Now that's fun!B|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hang loose! Here shortly, that 1-k bike will be in their yard sale and you'll be able to get it for a song!

Damn... I need to find one of these... someone stole my POS bike several years ago :S and it was a POS... it was heavy, only had so so hardwear... but it was mine... and someone took it... :|

One of these days I'll probably start putting together a nice bike... (I'd like to find one used... with a nice frame) then gradually add other quality components as desired...

of course I'm not one of the types that you're refering too cause I don't generally exercise with others... :P unless you count my dog... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I don't see it to much with people who ride bikes here. These men and women ride their asses off.I know what your talking about, your talking about posers. I see it at ski resorts here and that is it. People who try and dress the part to look like they know whats up. When all they do is sit in the lodge with there designer originals.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

So ummm I agree and disagree with you. But whatever. Some of the people that can afford all the expensive stuff and matching shit are actually bad ass. Some people though just want to look cool. I have an ok bike, cost me 350 I think, but I got it from the vendor. Retail was like 650 maybe. Anyway it works for me, and when I did my sprint triathlon a few weeks ago I just laughed at the 1000 dollar bikes I was flying by. What good does it do you if you have not trained? I don't knock people though that are out there. They are out there at least.
I'm actually in the market for one of these thousand dollar bikes because mine is no longer up to my level. I won't be paying that though since I have hook ups.
And my sweaty balls have not come up in any discussion as of yet between me and any other bikers. Maybe I need to ask next time.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Dude, they are kinda stuck up too. With all that flashy stuff on. They even wear these sunglasses that look like something out of a Flash Gordon movie.

I pass by at least five of these guys every day on my street running. Very rarely do they look at you and say hello. Sheesh, we are both sweating it bigtime here....how about a motivational 'go for it' or something.

That's my beef with a lot of them, especially in Central Park, where runners and cyclists have an uneasy relationship. I don't expect a greeting from them as you do (that may be the norm where you're at, but not in NYC), but a lot of cyclists act as if they own the road, and bark loudly and rudely at people who are remotely in their way, when they can just simply make a mild turn to avoid collisions way ahead of time. I think many of them do it for the sake of being d.cks, knowing they can get away with it since they're going 3x as fast as any runners are. Their ultra-shrill and loud voices are quite irritating too.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Hang loose! Here shortly, that 1-k bike will be in their yard sale and you'll be able to get it for a song!

Damn... I need to find one of these... someone stole my POS bike several years ago :S and it was a POS... it was heavy, only had so so hardwear... but it was mine... and someone took it... :|

One of these days I'll probably start putting together a nice bike... (I'd like to find one used... with a nice frame) then gradually add other quality components as desired...

of course I'm not one of the types that you're refering too cause I don't generally exercise with others... :P unless you count my dog... :D

That'd be a cool way to do it. Get a good frame and build the bike you want! I didn't check where you're from, but if, you city has a 'police auction', you might find what you're looking for. I don't know about where you live but here, the police, have periodic auctions of stolen items that the owners couldn't be found and there's always hundreds of bikes... of all kinds.
The cyclists I'm referring to, are usually the 'week-end warrior' types in purple and lime-green spandex. As previously described, 'Lance wannabes'. I know of a lot of cyclists who go out in the country and ride the side-roads and don't bother anyone. It's the ones who have to be on the 'main' streets and roads I'm talkin' about.

Chuck

I didn't check where you're from, but if, you city has a 'police auction', you might find what you're looking for.

That's a good way to do go... :)
I didn't/don't always completely aviod main roads... but I generally prefered the back roads over the main ones since they are generally safer... (not always... but generally yes...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

[replyThe cyclists I'm referring to, are usually the 'week-end warrior' types in purple and lime-green spandex. As previously described, 'Lance wannabes'. I know of a lot of cyclists who go out in the country and ride the side-roads and don't bother anyone. It's the ones who have to be on the 'main' streets and roads I'm talkin' about.
Chuck

The road isn't just for cars. They have just as much right to be there are you. I used to ride on some backroads and would get yelled at more than when I was on a main road. Main roads tend to have more room. I'm lucky to live by a road that has dedicated bike lanes. It amazes me how many times cars are driving half in these lanes.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

[replyThe cyclists I'm referring to, are usually the 'week-end warrior' types in purple and lime-green spandex. As previously described, 'Lance wannabes'. I know of a lot of cyclists who go out in the country and ride the side-roads and don't bother anyone. It's the ones who have to be on the 'main' streets and roads I'm talkin' about.
Chuck

The road isn't just for cars. They have just as much right to be there are you. I used to ride on some backroads and would get yelled at more than when I was on a main road. Main roads tend to have more room. I'm lucky to live by a road that has dedicated bike lanes. It amazes me how many times cars are driving half in these lanes.

Chuck

I whole heartedly agree with you! The roads are for all of us. I'm just talking about the inconsiderate ones who wad-up in the traffic lanes doing 10-mph and impede the flow of traffic. The idiot car drivers who get into the bike lanes are just as bad.

Chuck

Well not much can be done about the ones in the way of traffic. Sometimes it is warranted, other times you wonder what the hell they are doing. You just have to be patient sometimes.
Same goes for the bikes though, there are bike lanes and I see bikes riding in the street all the time. Then they don't understand why the cars behind are being all pissy.
I would hope that the ones impeding traffic aren't just doing it so that people see how cool they are. That would warrant a definite honking at.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

... but, why do they gang-up in a wad and block traffic? I see them all the time on various thorofares all wadded-up, blocking traffic. If, you honk your horn at them, they won't look at you but, slowly form a single line. Soon as you pass them, they herd-up, again!

I love this!! Sometimes there are herds that are wadded-up, and they do form a single line and herd back up again...I've noticed this phenomenon before, but didn't know how to articulate it...thanks Chuck, you made me LOL!!:)
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

... but, why do they gang-up in a wad and block traffic? I see them all the time on various thorofares all wadded-up, blocking traffic. If, you honk your horn at them, they won't look at you but, slowly form a single line. Soon as you pass them, they herd-up, again!

I love this!! Sometimes there are herds that are wadded-up, and they do form a single line and herd back up again...I've noticed this phenomenon before, but didn't know how to articulate it...thanks Chuck, you made me LOL!!:)

You're welcome! Any time, I can be of help.:D

Chuck

Sounds like you met a really interesting guy.:)
In early 2000, my brother decided he was going to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. He was leaving one job and considering going back to graduate school, so he had the time. At the time he was (I'm guessing, I've never asked his weight) about 75-100 pounds overweight. But he did all the research, planned out a trip, got all the gear, and set forth to do the trail.

He found very quickly that his pace was going to be slower than had planned (he even earned the ironic trail nickname "Hi Speed") but despite realizing he wasn't going to do the whole thing in one summer as he'd originally hoped, he kept going and ended up doing the whole trail over the course of two summers.

The amount of weight he lost on the trip was pretty astounding, and I know that the early days were truly brutal for him, carrying around all that extra weight *and* a heavy pack. I wish I could say it's led to a permanent change for him; it hasn't, but at least for those two summers it was a real boon to his health.

I really don't care all that much what people wear to work out or to the gym. I'm amused by the women who wear perfectly coordinated outfits and have their hair and makeup still perfect, but they've got the same right to be there as the person wearing the baggy, ratty t-shirt and shorts. I tend to avoid gyms that are more about the "scene" than about being a place for people to get and stay healthy, anyway.

You know what I hate?

Those guys that start skydiving, then buy a new rig with a matching canopy and jump suit. Those guys can't skydive like Majik or Airspeed, total freak'n wanna-bes. They jump together, then pack, then stand around talking about their packer's sweaty nutsack.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well not much can be done about the ones in the way of traffic. Sometimes it is warranted, other times you wonder what the hell they are doing. You just have to be patient sometimes.
Same goes for the bikes though, there are bike lanes and I see bikes riding in the street all the time. Then they don't understand why the cars behind are being all pissy.
I would hope that the ones impeding traffic aren't just doing it so that people see how cool they are. That would warrant a definite honking at.

I'm not at all against cyclists. I think it's great that folks get-out and ride and get excersize and all. I think, it just boils down to good ol' courtesy. Courtesy from car drivers and cyclists alike. In a perfect world...

Chuck

I don't think bikes should be allowed in the road. Why not longboards, or razor scooters, or pogo sticks? Roads are for engine driven vehicles, with safety systems, turn signals and comprable speeds. I always see bikes in the driving lanes, acting like cars, then blowing through stop signs. Rant over.

I don't think bikes should be allowed in the road. Why not longboards, or razor scooters, or pogo sticks? Roads are for engine driven vehicles, with safety systems, turn signals and comprable speeds. I always see bikes in the driving lanes, acting like cars, then blowing through stop signs. Rant over.

There's a point! Blowin' stop signs. Us car drivers oughta try that! Out here, they have 'bike lanes'. As will happen, bikers and motor vehicles swap lanes on occasions. Sometimes... at the same time!B|

Chuck

Dude I hope you're kidding. Bikes are completely incompatible with sidewalks and pedestrians. Unless you want your city to spend the money required to put bike lanes on every single road then you're just gonna have to live with us. Oh, and in town, on a road bike I often am going at a comparable speed to the traffic;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I blow through the stop signs on the backroads because no one is there. In the city or in congested area I obey the rules. You kind of have to or you will end up smushed.

When I first started I used to ride on the sidewalks. Too many close encounters with pedestrians and I learned it was my place to be on the street.
Skymama's #2 stalker -