Dumpster

I did it - I purchased a bike!!

nice.

I thought of getting a bike, a chopper. Those things always fascinated me. Then I saw the traffic in south FLorida and decided I like to live and in one piece.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Thanks! Nice and loud, and they crackle nicely when I let up on the throttle -
The bike needs a bit of TLC and a good cleaning, but not too bad at all. It's nice being able to cruise at 70-75 MPH and not get shaken to pieces. My Sportster had a ridged-mount engine and was, well, a Sportster, so any longer than an hour or two in the saddle was tough. I met a guy a couple years back on his way to Sturgis from New Jersey on a Sporty - Now that is a tough ride!

Easy Does It

Any rubber-mounted Harley rides exponentially better than solid-mounted bikes. Bikes like all but the newest sporties and all but the twin-cam Softail derivatives. I have never ridden an Evo Softail (of any type) that didn't ride like shit compared to my FXR or bagger. The newest softies with 88-B twin cams don't vibrate nearly as much, but they still ride like crap compared to anything with real shocks on it.

Chuck

Nope, I traded my FXR for the bagger. You do know that the frame on a bagger (road glide and electra glide) and Road King is the same as the FXR right? The only difference is the length of the neck to accomodate the "backwards" triple-trees on the baggers. The frames are identical except for that and the length of the swingarm.

Chuck

Yep...always keep an eye out for them at the auctions...still seem to be a number of FXR's available as well as the Kenny Boyce Pro Street frame...
;)

hmmmm...seems I recall my first FXR was right after the divorce....hmmmmm....:P

It rides so much nicer than my Sporty did, too.

i got a sportster as a loaner while they did a 10k service on my road king.... holy crap, i never understand why people buy sportsters. even though it was efi, it still had a long warm-up period. the mirrors shook on the handle bar at idle. it had stock exhaust and the performance was lacklustre.

congrats on the upgrade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the backbone of a Dyna is too flat; too "sportsterish". A raked 1200 sporty with a wide glide conversion and a bob-tail rear fender looks nearly identical to a Dyna. My roommate's bike gets confused for one all the time. That makes me giggle. I was never too fond of Dynas because to get them nearly as low as my old FXR you really had to go with a bare-bones LePera seat and very-short shocks. Still, I like Dynas and maybe Katie will end up with one later.

Chuck

I forgot to add, since Kenny Boyce was mentioned, that my FXR had the Boyce wide tire kit. One inch wider swingarm and motor/tranny mounts that moved everything left 5/8". The Boyce Pro Street swingarm will also go right on a Road King or Bagger, assuming it's got an Evo motor in it.

Chuck

Yep - I've heard a few refer to Dynas as Sportsters on Steroids. You can get 'em pretty low, shorter front fork tubes and springs, shorter rear shocks, (or offset the lower shock mount) and a thin seat, yep.

Mine's got the standard suspension and thick Mustang seat, but it's still as low or lower than our 883C was.

The guy who owned the bike before me put a nice wide tire on the back, and since the fender clearance wasn't there the wires for the left turn signal got chewed up.

How was the gas mileage on your Dyna?

Easy Does It

but fix the crack in the concrete floor, or else you'll trip , fall and won't be able to jump

That's the garage of the house I just moved in to - The whole floor looks like a jigsaw puzzle. Unfortunately the tear-down and rebuild will have to wait a few years.

Easy Does It

Just joshing you... I guess that you do have bigger beasties over there:P.

<> - please dont... IMHO they look so naff (but, then again, do you wear head/eye protection over there?)

The new bike is rather tasty.... I need to get out on my sporty.. but the weather isn't playing fair at the moment:(.

Enjoy.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome