Praetorian

video clip of ... an otter? breaking up

Break.com has a clip

http://www.break.com/index/wingless1.html

of what looks like a twin otter taking off, doing a loop, then returning to level flight only to have both wings snap off outboard of the engines ... needless to add it goes in .. I don't think this was a jump ship I'm just curious if there is any more on this type of thing with the otters, I'm sure its just a matter of the plane being pushed beyond design strength and the failure taking a few seconds to show
(some asian language, I speak none of them so I can't tell which one, no disrespect intended)

on second view it may be too small to be a twin otter

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

now you sir are a voice with some serious knowledege! anything to this other than using a light avation plane for acrobatics it was not built to take? and if yes any idea why it did not break during the high stress manover insted of after returning to level flight?

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

NTSB Identification: FTW83FA424 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 21677.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, September 11, 1983 in PLAINVIEW, TX
Aircraft: PARTENAVIA P68C, registration: N29561
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

THE PLT WAS EXECUTING A HIGH SPEED PASS OVER THE RWY AT ABOUT 250 FT AGL. THE PLT THEN BEGAN A RAPID PULL-UP & BOTH WINGS SEPARATED JUST OUTBOARD OF THE ENG NACELLES. RECONSTRUCTION OF THE SEQUENCE FROM A VIDEOTAPE REVEALED THAT THE ACFT'S SPEED AT THE TIME OF THE WING SEPARATIONS WAS 220 KTS. VNE FOR THE ACFT IS 193 KTS. IT WAS CALCULATED THAT, AT 220 KTS & AN 8 DEG NOSE-UP PITCH, THE 'G' LOAD AT THE TIME OF THE WING SEPARATIONS WOULD HAVE BEEN 8.3 G'S.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

IN-FLIGHT PLANNING / DECISION.. IMPROPER.. PILOT IN COMMAND
OVERCONFIDENCE IN AIRCRAFT'S ABILITY.. PILOT IN COMMAND
AIRSPEED.. EXCEEDED..PILOT IN COMMAND
WING..OVERLOAD
DESIGN STRESS LIMITS OF AIRCRAFT.. EXCEEDED.. PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing Factors
WING.. FAILURE, TOTAL
WING.. SEPARATION

Yeah, and he's lucky he didn't kill a bunch of other people when the plane hit.

Looks like he's following both the 500'-1500', and 'no energy toward the crowd' airshow rules that were enacted after the Ramstein crash.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Probably, I didn't look that closely at the vid last night.

Still, pulling stunts like that anywhere near a crowd in an airplane not designed for it seems like a really, really bad idea.:S

Yup...Murphy Lurks!:|

The Partenavia breakup is a well known one among airshow accidents. As I heard it, the pilot's wife was doing the narration for the crowd.

Still, pulling stunts like that anywhere near a crowd in an airplane not designed for it seems like a really, really bad idea.

For the average pilot, yes. Yet a non-aerobatic aircraft can be flown fairly safely in aerobatics if carefully inspected and carefully flown by a pilot who doesn't make mistakes and knows energy management in order to keep the g's low.

The classic example is Bob Hoover with his Shrike Commander, a plane roughly comparible to the Partenavia. He'd fly part of his airshow with one prop feathered, and then both feathered. (Seen the video where he pours himself a glass of tea while flying a barrel roll? Theres's a link at the bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoover)

That video was played for days afterward on CNN.
The american public is fascinated by that stuff. "See Martha, I told ya, The wings can fall right off them little airplanes"

The pilot was Wes Winter. A well known airshow performer at the time.

Richard Collins of Flying magazine wrote an Aftermath column about the crash. Exploring the psychology of how the pilot became comfortable with operating the A/C right up to it's ultimate load limits.

Bob, he's the greatest

He really is.

If you watch the Energy Management Routine (the link is mid-page) you get to hear him speak about flying. He makes some great comments about flying, and limitations, and the results of pushing them too far that can really be applied to skydiving. It's easy to see how he's been flying at that level for so long.

Bob, he's the greatest

He really is.

If you watch the Energy Management Routine (the link is mid-page) you get to hear him speak about flying. He makes some great comments about flying, and limitations, and the results of pushing them too far that can really be applied to skydiving. It's easy to see how he's been flying at that level for so long.

Mr. Hoover lost his ticket a few years back, he 'was' still doing his airshow routine with a co-pilot for a short time afterward but I don't think he performs anymore.

I have been on a supper otter doing things you wouldn't think an otter could do like wing overs hammer heads barrel rolls ect and the only way you knew it was upside down was the sky turn green every now and then.

http://www.swoopstudios.com/videos/videos-rex.php