sangiro

AJAX skills?

I'll make you a deal. You don't tell me when to do software updates, and I won't tell you when to update your gear, instructional abilities, ratings, or anything else you feel are adequate.

That's fair. But I doubt whether manufacturers will change their designs when he complains about the fact most modern gear is largely incompatible with his old container or canopy.

Again, I'm in no haste to add new technology and will always try to do so in a way that degenerates elegantly on older browsers. I will however not primarily design for the exceptions on the left of the bell-curve.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

AJAX is a New Approach to Designing Web Applications that Flat Out Don't Work on Some (Not So) Older Browsers

There are some issues with elements rendering differently on different (modern) browsers as well.

AJAX is going to slow down your page rendering time, despite the cool name :P It's not a bad technology, and definitely a step up from JSF. The XMLHttpRequest is a neat idea, and may eventually become the standard for requests, especially as Semantic Web grows, but right now, all it does is slow down transactions.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

AJAX is going to slow down your page rendering time, despite the cool name :P It's not a bad technology, and definitely a step up from JSF. The XMLHttpRequest is a neat idea, and may eventually become the standard for requests, especially as Semantic Web grows, but right now, all it does is slow down transactions.

Judicious and careful use of AJAX only in appropriate areas, can speed things up for the end user.

Example: GMAIL which is AJAX powered. For example, when you attach a file, it automatically uploads the attachment in the background while letting you continue typing the email message. No waiting for the attachment to upload -- you attach a 2 megabyte photo, then type your email message. Long-time users of both hotmail and GMAIL can attest to GMAIL's performance advantage over hotmail -- assuming you're using a compatible browser. It is also well designed: GMAIL does 'degenerate' gracefully to non-AJAX browers. It now has a HTML mode that works in old web browsers and kiosks, and has a WAP mode for cellphones.

Agreed. It's easy to misuse the technology but it has some really cool uses too. Googles beta live search is pretty damn wild as well. We use AJAX for some stuff but we're trying hard to not get carried away ;)

Sangiro, what feature(s) are you trying to implement in AJAX?

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I'll make you a deal. You don't tell me when to do software updates, and I won't tell you when to update your gear, instructional abilities, ratings, or anything else you feel are adequate.

That's fair. But I doubt whether manufacturers will change their designs when he complains about the fact most modern gear is largely incompatible with his old container or canopy.

Again, I'm in no haste to add new technology and will always try to do so in a way that degenerates elegantly on older browsers. I will however not primarily design for the exceptions on the left of the bell-curve.

AJAX is a very cool concept and I find it to be ridiculously fast. I built it into two of our Intranet applications and it works quite quickly at getting data and updating a portion of the page (even though it was my first use of it and the code is unbelievably inefficient). But I digress....:D

Make sure you tell who ever ends up doing this for you that they should make all functionality work with or without javascript.

You write the code as if there is NO javascript. Ie: everything is done server side. THEN you add a javacript layer over top. THat way, those who actually update their browsers to keep up with the latest in web technology will get a faster and slicker site while those who don't won't get shut out entirely.

If you didn't notice yet, I know AJAX. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Well I thought this was going to be about Ajax the Great and you were looking for warrior skills....

Little did I know that the thread would be in a foreign language other than Greek.[:/]

But from the user point of view, it's appreciated that you don't upgrade just for the sake of having the "coolest" toys.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There are many reasons individuals (and companies) do not update software, and I won't go into any of that. There is a lot more to software than just using one of the lastest releases.

Ah yes, I've worked for companies like that. :(Wouldn't update software, drivers, and/or ROM flashes unless there was a problem. Didn't do hotfixes other than major service releases and that was only after pleading and begging. Worked when most stuff was different and Internet connections were limited.

Then came more connectivity, standardization, and the worms/vulnerabilities. After basically being shut down for a week while they remediated, they learned it's better (and cheaper) to be proactive than reactive.

I feel sorry for you, but people working for companies that treat IT like firefighting have some great job security. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Soon after I started working, I was having problems with my Outlook calendar. I searched the web and found it was a known bug, fixed 2 years earlier by MS with an update. I called the computer people to ask them to install the update for me. Nope, not tested, can't be installed. It was causing my meeting reminders to come up late. So I asked for a $250 palm pilot to keep my appointments instead. That was no problem.

Dave

I work for a fairly well known software companyl. I know all about upgrading pains. Currently my node count of installs I support is hovering at about 290,000-310,000 nodes. I have helped upgrade all of them on the last 16 months. Our last version of code was wrote in late 2001, and the current one was released in late 2003. A few really lagging companies are just starting to get their migration plans started to move to the current version and we are gearing up for the next version release later this summer. Those users that are not on the current version are out of luck for fixes and the additional functionality that is brought about by the new version of code.

Hell, my old Pentium 386DX2 with 25 mb hard drive and 8 meg memory works fine too but I'm not complaining that it won't run Doom3 ;)

Besides, the oldest piece of gear I have is still in production ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

want to help me crush a few features,

Hell, I thought you were talking about someone giving you problem either here or at home. I was going to offer to show you the way we handled it back in the day.;)

Yes, I am aware that my computer skills are rather limited.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals