sangiro

AJAX skills?

I've actually been thinking for a while now about volunteering to help this web site out. It would be fun, plus I'd get to learn how a real website is operated. I'm fluent in SQL, C, C++, perl, and many others. Reasonably fluent in java. Not sure what AJAX is, but could probably learn it pretty quickly if it's a language. Have some java script, but not a lot, since I decided to focus on java.
We are all engines of karma

Ajax: A New Approach to Web Applications

As far as my experiences go, AJAX is a New Approach to Designing Web Applications that Flat Out Don't Work on Some (Not So) Older Browsers.

I hope these are features that are not needed for normal article viewing and forum viewing and posting.

AJAX is a New Approach to Designing Web Applications that Flat Out Don't Work on Some (Not So) Older Browsers.

Assuming you have JS enabled in your browser... can you tell me which browsers it doesn't work in? I'd love to test them.

I hope these are features that are not needed for normal article viewing and forum viewing and posting.

No need to use it for that. I'm never in a haste to add technologies.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Assuming you have JS enabled in your browser... can you tell me which browsers it doesn't work in? I'd love to test them.

I haven't seen anything you have done.

I use Netscape 7.02 and went to a Southwestern Bell page that was unusable. I clicked on buttons and got blank pages and messages that refered to other buttons that could not be found.

I was so silly because using something that would work nearly every time could have been done in Perl.

I understand the idea behind client based scripts, to make certain entry and validation quicker, but as with any newer technology, people think they need to use it to be cool.

Kind of like skydiving huh?

Have you seen any problems with FireFox?

I don't know if it is "AJAX" that they are using but...

I had to get Firefox to use UPS online shipping. When Netscape 7.02 got to the part where the shipping label is displayed for printing it would never print.

I got tired of having to right-click on the label, save as a graphic file, and print it from Paint Shop Pro.

With Firefox it prints most of the time but sometimes causes a printer error (displayed on the printer). This could be a Firefox error in printing, but I don't know.

What's frustrating is these errors come and go. Telling the web guys at UPS is useless. Everything works fine as far as they are concerned.

I don't know if it is "AJAX" that they are using but...

From what I gathered from the article, client side processing is written in Java Script. AJAX is an add on that must have a Java Script API. Since printing is a basic functionality, I doubt it has anything to do with AJAX.
We are all engines of karma

Netscape 7.02 was released in July of 2003. I think its time to update your browser. ;)

I'll make you a deal. You don't tell me when to do software updates, and I won't tell you when to update your gear, instructional abilities, ratings, or anything else you feel are adequate.

There are many reasons individuals (and companies) do not update software, and I won't go into any of that. There is a lot more to software than just using one of the lastest releases.