OrangeJumper

Some Disturbing Shit

So, Saturday night my wife and I decided to go to dinner. I was driving along when all of a sudden a motorcycle comes flying around a curve in the oncoming traffic....probably doing 70-80 mph (without a helmet) in a residential area.

The guy gets half way through the curve and loses control. He hit the ground head first and his bike flew across the median about 25 ft in front of my car.

I get out of the car and grab my medic bag out of the trunk. I run over to the guy and basically his head exploded after impacting the ground. The guy took about 3 or 4 agonal respirations and died on the scene.

Come to find out that the guy was only 10 seconds from his drive way. I know this because his 10 year old son was outside and saw the entire thing.

I've seen a lot of dead bodies but I have never seen anyone die like that. Usually, I've watched people pass in a clinical setting. I must say that the image of that guy has been burned in my brain. The thing that bothers me the most is that he was only 500 ft from his home. Goes to show you that you just never know.....I really wish I wouldn't have seen that!!!!!

The Original Cabana Boy!

I'm sorry you saw that. Read up on this so to keep an eye on yourself: http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/abuse/site/ptsd_overview.htm

Secondly. That guy was an asshole for having put other people like yourself and his son in a position like that. It drives me freak'n crazy when people are that irresponible, especially while on a motorcycle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Disturbing would be an understatement - there are just somethings people really shouldn't have to witness.

Sadly, I suspect that image isn't going to leave you or his son anytime soon.

"flying around a curve in the oncoming traffic....probably doing 70-80 mph (without a helmet) in a residential area. "
It's sad the preventable chain of bad decisions that leads to these sorts things. [:/]

It's sad the preventable chain of bad decisions that leads to these sorts things. [:/]

That's what bothers me the most. If the guy would have just driven the speed limit or even had his helmet on, he probably would be fine.

The part that bothers me the most is wondering how his family must feel. Jesus, a freaking husband/father dies right in front of his house because of a bad decision. I feel so sorry for the son!!!!

The Original Cabana Boy!

Secondly. That guy was an asshole for having put other people like yourself and his son in a position like that. It drives me freak'n crazy when people are that irresponible, especially while on a motorcycle.

Hey Dave, please tell me that every hook turn accident you have seen, you describe the canopy pilot as an "asshole" It drives me freak'n crazy when people are irresponible, especially while skydiving.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Hey Dave, please tell me that every hook turn accident you have seen, you describe the canopy pilot as an "asshole" It drives me freak'n crazy when people are irresponible, especially while skydiving.

Just about every "hook turn" accident I've seen its made me mad to a point. I've seen more panic toggle low turns then anything though. When its a low time jumper it makes me sad and a bit upset at the training recieved (or what they withheld from the training).

There's a serious difference between someone making a mistake undercanopy, in a car or on a bike while performing a function that is normal and safe (or considered safe) and someone racing at a high rate of speed in an uncontroled roadway with no safety protection at all. Beyond that, it makes my motorcycle insurance go up.

So you think it was perfectly ok for this guy to be traveling WELL above a residential speedlimit, to the point that he couldn't navigate a turn, while not wearing a helmet or other safety gear then to put his son and OrangeJumper in the position that they're in now? If so, good on ya, go do whatever it is you like to do and be happy, but I will stand in disagreement with you for your opinion in this matter.

Its very possible that PTSD will set in for OrangeJumper, if thats the case it can be something that will be life altering. If he's able to watch for the symptoms and go get some help, then he'll be able to alleviate most of it. I've been there, I've been effected by it and it changes your life.

I will be fine (no issues with PTSD) but I do appreciate the concern. I don't have a problem with gore, I've seen much worse as a military medic.

Like I said before, I just feel so badly for his family. I can't even imagine someone telling me that something like that happened to my wife.

The Original Cabana Boy!

I will be fine (no issues with PTSD) but I do appreciate the concern. I don't have a problem with gore, I've seen much worse as a military medic.

That's good it won't effect you. Some people are effected by things that seem small to others, but its a big deal to them.

Hi Dave,

Thanks I appreciate your concern, and your right PTSD is a bitch and could be caused just as easily watching and hearing a swoop gone bad as watching a bike accident. I have seen many of both and hope to never see either again.

There's a serious difference between someone making a mistake undercanopy, in a car or on a bike while performing a function that is normal and safe (or considered safe)

I'm sorry are you saying a hook turn gone bad is normally safe? As in riding around a turn at 80 mph is always going to cause an accident? Unless you have additional information as to the cause of this accident that wasn't given you don't know the cause of the accident. Just as when someone hooks in you may not know what caused the accident.

So you think it was perfectly ok for this guy to be traveling WELL above a residential speedlimit, to the point that he couldn't navigate a turn, while not wearing a helmet or other safety gear

That's my point, do you think it is perfectly okay for someone to hook w/o a helmet, that at x mph winds to still down wind a swoop? If they do break one of your rules do you award them the asshole award?

Do I wish he hadn't had the accident - yes
Do I wish he had worn a helmet - yes
Do I know if there was gravel in the road-no
Should he have been going that fast - no
Does that make him an - "asshole" in your book yes

If so, good on ya, go do whatever it is you like to do and be happy, but I will stand in disagreement with you for your opinion in this matter.

And that my friend is what makes this a great country. Your welcome to your thoughts and I mine. For me to cast a blanket "asshole" without knowing a lot more details is out of my realm, but your comfortable with it - so "good on ya"

Be safe riding and jumping.

Unless you have additional information as to the cause of this accident that wasn't given you don't know the cause of the accident.

As in riding around a turn at 80 mph is always going to cause an accident?

Failure to control speed is failure to control speed, it doesn't matter if there was some gravel on the road that caused him to ditch the bike. Its a factor that may or may not have contributed, since an eye witness stated that the bike was traveling at a high rate of speed. The inability to navigate a turn is typically failure to control speed. You don't even have to be speeding, you can be within the speed limit, but in conditions unsafe for the speed in which you were traveling. For instance, with this case, if the guy has been doing the speed limit and had dumped his bike due to a wet road. That could still be failure to control speed (or speeding unsafe for conditions).

This is something that sounds to be like reckless driving. The same applies for swoopers that are reckless with their swooping. Into traffic, through traffic, etc.

I'm sorry are you saying a hook turn gone bad is normally safe?

Nope. I said it is considered safe, not that it IS safe, it fully isn't. Just like driving a car isn't safe nor is riding a motorcycle, but people consider those activities, when performed correctly and within the limits of the law, safe. Look at the pro swoopers. Do you consider them to be flying their canopies at the edge of performance, but as safely as they can? Do you see them making reckless judgement mistakes? Did I say that a low turn was normally safe? Show me where I said just that. You can't because its not there, I never said it.

Guys, remember where this took place. When I go to the dz, I know that I am subjecting myself to maybe seeing someone go in.

If this had happened at the track or on the set of a movie where the stunt was to have a guy go fast with no helmet, it would be different.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

This is sickening and inexcusable.. He made a number of very stupid decisions... No helmet... bad [IMHO] but only likely to damage himself.. Rideing at speed in a built up are - Fucking Stupid.. anyone else could have been hurt and that's indefensible.

Like others' I'm sorry that you had to see that... no one should have to:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

my quote

"I'm sorry are you saying a hook turn gone bad is normally safe?"

Your reply

"Show me where I said just that. You can't because its not there, I never said it."

I'm sure you saw my question mark, but I was trying to understand your statement.

You failed to answer my orginal question. Do call swoopers who are killed "assholes" routinely? That in it's entirety was my basic problem. Heck man for all I know you do, I mean that. You may have the mind set that says "If someone does something dumb that could effect other people they are an asshole"

The "asshole" comment seemed a little strong for me and I was drawing a comparison with swooping gone bad.

I've been riding for over 20 yrs and jumping for 10. Everyone screws up, I'm hoping that we all are titled "asshole" when we do.

But hey, you can call me an asshole for having that view :P

The "asshole" comment seemed a little strong for me and I was drawing a comparison with swooping gone bad.

I think its a bad comparison. There's a serious difference between doing something under more controlled conditions and doing something extreme in the "real world." You can understand that as a rider, I would hope. There's the track and there's the street. Pushing your limits on the track is one thing, if you crash, that sucks. If you're killed or hurt. That really sucks. However, you were doing your thing in a controlled environment.

I would really hope you don't condone someone riding at such a high rate of speed in a residental area. And yes, I think someone doing something like that is an assshole. Selfishly putting everyone around them at risk of death, injury and mental distress.

I also include in my "asshole list of riders" riders who do stunt riding on public roads (regardless if of what kind of bike they're on...I saw a HD Deuce pulling really good balanced wheelies a while back...still an asshole).

Now, back to this:

You failed to answer my orginal question. Do call swoopers who are killed "assholes" routinely?

A swooper who is someone who has the skill, experience and time to swoop safely that just screws up? That's a mistake, that sucks.

A "swooper" who is someone going too hard, too fast and ignoring all the advice from people around him/her to slow down, upsize or stop that activity all together that fraps in? That's an asshole.

Notice the use of quotation marks.

Can you see my point of view there?

Sorry, but I agree with Dave & Walt here.. I know everyone does daft things and makes mistakes.. But from what I read in the original post ... this guy was beyond reckless... I dont mind being proven wrong on this.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My two cents: the motorcyclist was putting others and their property at risk. He qualified himself as an asshole.

Walt

Couldn't have said it better. He was certainly an asshole. Every time I see a motorcycle rider pulling wheelies on the highway, swerving in and out of traffic, especially with no helmet, they are immediately an asshole in my book.

Hey Dave,

Yep, I can see your point. I'm trying to explain my point w/o being critical. The fact's as I read them is that this fellow made an mistake, a bad mistake and it cost him his life. But for me - and obviously not you (or others) it didn't seem to cross the "asshole" threshold. From what we k-n-o-w he got into a turn hot and laid it down. He wasn't doing a wheelie, or riding tricks. He was on a public road and he over estimated his skill level. He shouldn't have been going that fast but who of us that rides from time to time doesn't get on it, or into a turn faster than we "should"?

Perhaps you never have, I've never road with you. But I would guess that you have. And if I happened on a forum and someone who didn't know you said "he's and asshole" I would be equally upset. See they wouldn't know you or truely if you had earned the "asshole" award.

If your comment had been "he was riding like a real asshole" I'd never have taken the time to comment.

I haven't meet the swooper who through the learning curve doesn't come close to taking a really good lick - most take several and walk away. Sadly some don't. These people aren't assholes to me they just made a mistake.

I beleieve that your biggest problem with this guy was he was on the road and not at a race track-I can see that. Wish he hadn't done it.

So in closing, like I said earlier what a great country. We can all have our thoughts. It seems that by a count of replies - you win. A majority of replies agree with you. For myself I'd wait till I had a lot more facts. But that's just me.

Be safe and remembr to follow all the posted speed limite signs. :P

70-80 mph in a residential zone is an asshole. I've gone 90mph in a residential 25 mph zone as a highschool kid in a 300ZX and I'd go back in time and kick my own ass if I could. Because he suffered the consequences doesn't make him any less negligent. He just happened to not kill someone else just like as I lost traction and skidded around that corner I happened to not have wrapped myself around that telephone pole or killed someone's Dad coming the other direction who was a merciful 10 seconds late driving home.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Saturday I worked a low speed motorcycle vs the earth crash and transported two. Back passenger leg was torn to the bone above knee and small road rash.
Drive had a bleed in his head and who knows where else. broken back and road rash like none other. No helmets and etoh plus they had been smoking pot!

Later that night we ran a hit and run or should I say hit and drug the drug dealer down the street call.
A drug deal gone bad turns into the drug dealer getting drug by an SUV about one block and then run over. he was a mess! large sack of bones but still alive.

Saturday was busy and I work in a small town, we had many other calls that night but those two are along the lines of what Orangejumper saw and all where dumb asses!
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

So... what did you and the wife have for dinner?

Dude....believe it or not we went to a burger joint called Red Robin. Trust me, we couldn't believe we were actually eating hamburgers, especially me, after seeing that. What can I say, we were in the mood for a good o'l burger :D

The Original Cabana Boy!

my quote

"I'm sorry are you saying a hook turn gone bad is normally safe?"

Your reply

"Show me where I said just that. You can't because its not there, I never said it."

I'm sure you saw my question mark, but I was trying to understand your statement.

You failed to answer my orginal question. Do call swoopers who are killed "assholes" routinely? :P

See I see 2 different discriptions here, Swooping and Hook turns?
It maybe semantics but I dont consider swooping a canopy to be the same as hook turning a canopy.

So so I would also call the guy on the bike an arsehole (I too have been riding 20 years), moreover people recklessly initiatin Hook turns are also arseholes, putting at risk themselves (no biggy here) but also subjecting those around them to witness their stupidity.

Dave wins you lose:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?