Zoter

Teardrop SF RSL question.....

Reacting to a post in the incidents section got me thinking about potential problems I have heard about with my rigs set up
Thomas Sports Teardrop Superfly with RSL

Just about everyone 'experienced' I have seen who has experience of this rig suggests an RSL is not a fantastic idea.....
Reason..? the RS Line routing is down the front webbing and connected to just above the Reserve handle........the problem being that a partial cutaway ( one riser) might put enough tension on the RSl to make pulling the reserve handle at least 'difficult'
Or
Even heard the RSL would not develop enough 'force' to pull the rserve pin , but would unseat the reserve handle from its pocket......neither is a particularly appetising thought in the moments its going to happen in

Anybody with experience of this..? or general comments ?

(Picture of RSL setup attached)

the problem being that a partial cutaway ( one riser) might put enough tension on the RSl to make pulling the reserve handle at least 'difficult'

If the RSL-side riser releases and the main is out and inflated, it will pull the reserve ripcord. In the U.S , the maximum allowable reserve rip-cord pull force is 22-pounds (minus the seal). This isn't very much.

Even heard the RSL would not develop enough 'force' to pull the rserve pin , but would unseat the reserve handle from its pocket

If the main leaves and is inflated, it will rip the reserve pin and maybe the the whole ripcord out off of the rig. Remember, your body weight will besuspended from the main with only the RSL holding that weight. If you put your body weight on your RSL lanyard, it will pull the reserve.

All that being said, RSL's do have down sides.

Derek

Second picture of overall RSL setup attached

Is that a standard RSL set-up for the Tear drop? That looks like a major snag hazard, too easy to accidently fire your reserve. I haven't packed a Tear-Drop, but that RSL looks very wrong. At this point I am willing to bet that it is installed incorrectly. If it isn't, it is a horrible RSL set up. Do you have the manual for your rig?

Derek

http://www.prueferverband.de/Service/Packanweisungen/SF1PIN_MANUAL.PDF

Pg 25 of 38 shows the RSL installation. Apparently yours is installed correctly. That installation presents a major snag hazard. I would re-think having that RSL installed.

It is also attached to the left riser, which is the more likely riser to break of the two.

I really think that is a very bad RSL set-up.

Derek

Its been seen and is the correct setup for RSL on a Teardrop SF.
Please note !
I have removed the velcro cover that covers up most of the RSL/Webbing setup and is in fact very secure ( done to illustrate the RSL routing)

I have to say though....it does seem an awful lot more 'snaggable' than alot of containers I have seen[:/]

Next question.....removing that RSL??
disconnect at top end and 'snip snip' with some heavy duty pliers ?;)

It is also attached to the left riser, which is the more likely riser to break of the two.

Why would a left riser be any more prone to break, and under what circumstances specifically, than the right?

I do agree however, regardless, that this just looks like a horrible RSL set up, period!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why get so complicated?
All you have to do is open the Swedish snap shackle near the 3-ring, then tuck the loose end of the RSL under the mud flap to finish the job.
If you really dislike your RSL, then ask your rigger to completely remove it at the next repack.
Novices using cutting tools around parachutes scare me!

From the Teardrop Superfly manual:

"WORKING
When the cutaway procedure is activated the main risers separate from the harness
which then invokes the lanyard, as the risers go away from the harness it puts
pressure on the ripcord cable and this then pulls the reserve ripcord pin. The
reserve ripcord handle stays in the reserve ripcord pocket at all times, this allows
the jumper to continue the cutaway and reserve pull procedure. The ripcord will not
hit you in the face
." (my emphasis)

Its been seen and is the correct setup for RSL on a Teardrop SF.
Please note !
I have removed the velcro cover that covers up most of the RSL/Webbing setup and is in fact very secure ( done to illustrate the RSL routing)

I have to say though....it does seem an awful lot more 'snaggable' than alot of containers I have seen[:/]

I think its only fair that you post some pictures of the RSl secured in its cover, so everyone can see the finished article as well as the breakdown pictures....

But yeah, it does look like a snag hazard in that picture, though a friend of mine has a TS SF and the RSL is very well hidden in the velcro cover from what I can recall.

Yes the RSL on Teardrop SF may be a bit crude and a bit too exposed, but it works.
That RSL only becomes a hazard if you allow Velcro to wear so badly that parts are hanging off your rig at random.

Tee!
Hee!
If you are scaring your RSL so often you wear out Velcro, you may want to reconsider your packing methods!
Tee!
Hee!

The simple answer is to ask your rigger to closely inspect your Velcro, then shut up and jump.

The big Advantage of this TSE RSL version : it works better when you are doing a cutaway proceedure while you are on your back, since the tension of the lanyard will be in direct line of the reserve handle, while if the RSL lanyard pulls when you start to face the ground, the tension is roundabout it can interfere with the upper arm of the skydiver