kelel01

How to make a major life decision in the next 48 hours

I've decided on pre-med. And the pediatric cardiology thing is just a possibility. I want to do so many things, that odds are, that won't be it. I have officially changed my schedule for fall semester, though, which included begging (successfully, btw) to be let into a couple of classes for which I don't have the EXACT prereqs. I have the nursing versions of them, and I REALLY didn't want to fall an entire semester behind basically retaking classes I've already had. :)
There are also a couple of disciplines I know I DON'T want to do - proctology, for instance. :D

I've decided on pre-med. :D

Congrats!!!

It will be work. LOTS of work. And some disappointment. But you need to try everything, cuz it will be over too soon.... and it would suck to sit back and think "what if I had...."

Call me if you ever have any questions.

Karen

Great to see you've made your decision..........it's sometimes so difficult to decide.
I'm working as an advanced nurse practitioner, so i do get to treat my own patients but I would have qualified as a doctor quicker! 4 yrs nurse training, post grad diploma 1 yr, MSc 2 yrs etc.....

I really think you've made the right decision

Go for it + enjoy! x

If you're holding anyone else accountable for your happiness, you're wasting your time."

I want to be (right now) a pediatric cardiologist. I say "right now", because I know med school is the place where you truly learn what you enjoy/are challenged by.

GO with your gut!! Oh, wait - mental note to self - catch up w/bonfire threads all the way through before hitting "reply" :S.

You are right that things will change as you go through school and get exposed to new things. My HS boyfriend went into pre-med to be an oral surgeon and came out of med school sa a Pediactric Cardiologist. Your heart and passion will lead the way!

I'm more convinced of that now than ever...

Congrats!! :)
P.

My gut is telling me that one path will take me where I want to go . . . but it's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. [:/]

And sadly, I'm very immediate gratification-ish. :|

Then don't do what you really want to do with your life. Go for what you don't want and won't be happy with because you can get it quicker.;):P

If this is some sort of education decision, then the timeline should not play a huge factor. Ask yourself
"In 20 years what decision will I be happier having made ?". When I look back on my life I rarely regretted anything I did; My biggest regrets come from the things I didn't do because I felt it would be too hard,take too long, I might not succeed....etc.

I think I recall you once saying in another post you really loved school. Not trying to sound like a Polyanna but if this is about an education decision then you should not look at how long the path is but how gratifying the destination will be.

Cheers,

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Thanks, Polyanna. :P

Yeah, that was my mom's advice, too. She kinda put it in perspective for me. She said that even if I'm not a full doctor until I'm 35, I could still potentially do it for 30+ years. And I would most likely be done before then anyway (depending on my chosen specialty . . . or lack thereof). :)
30 years sounds like long enough to make the loooooooong education process worth it. :D

kelly, goood luck with it.. and as a specialty, how about just becming a geeral practicioner? then you wouldn't have to worry about getting bored with just one thing.....:P

p.s. hurry up damnit and get on with the education.. i can only wait so long to get a prescription for the "good" meds....:P

Yeah, I've wanted to be a pediatric cardiologist since I was really little. My sister was born with a defective SA node and had to have a pacemaker put in right after she was born. I was always getting dragged to the doctor and hospital with her, and her doctor is AWESOME. He's such a wonderful man. She still sees him (as she's just getting to be too old and will probably have to switch over sometime soon) and always has some sort of little anecdote about him whenever she comes home from an appointment. He and the cardio tech (same one for about 10 years now) keep my mom in stitches every time they go. :D

Yeah, I've wanted to be a pediatric cardiologist since I was really little. My sister was born with a defective SA node and had to have a pacemaker put in right after she was born.

Wow, I didn't know they could put a pace maker in an infant! That's pretty cool.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You're DEFINATELY not too old. I started med school at 26. Some om my rotations in 3rd and 4th year were with the other med school in town which is a 6year right out of High School type.... some of those students on the rotation weren't even 21. It was a bit hard for them to relate to some of the patients (especially the psych ones) cuz they had limited experience except just school and more school.

Don't let age have any influence!

Like noted before. You'll be 35 wheter you go to Medical School or not. Might as well go. Use every minute in this life to learn the most and do the best!

Karen