kelel01

How to make a major life decision in the next 48 hours

Hey girl! You'll do the right thing. For just a day, take a step back and appreciate the fact that you are blessed with an opportunity to even be faced with such a decision!:)
I went to law school and graduate school even though I don't practice. Go for medical school. The more education you have, the more doors that will open for you. I'm working in a field now that has nothing or little to do with my majors but would not have been possible if it weren't for the advanced education. Hell, just for fun, start collecting initials behind your name. It's a fun hobby!

Best wishes!;)

Oh and added bonus for being paged on a DZ by,

"Paging Dr. ........"

Double bonus for being the sexy, skydiving doctor.

Probably not the best reason for doing it.... But hey, take the double points if you can.

Seriously though. Do it cuz you want it - And understand what "it" is. Not just the "glory" or the "title" but the knowledge, the challenge, the passion. It's too much work and pain to do it for any reason less.

Good luck and call me if you have questions.

Karen

From the nurses and docs I've talked to:

nurses who have had strong desire to become docs, yet chose nursing (for various reasons, be it economy, hardship of studies, convenience etc) tend really happy with the position they're in. There tends to be some resentment that they didn't "go huge" and settled for the quicker path.

Easy to understand since as a nurse you'd be constantly reminded of it, given that the nurses work closely with docs.

I say go for med school. My sister is a doc and she loves it.

Go for medical school please. Nursing is a great profession but lets face it.........Why be mediocre? You're better than that. :)

Easy there mister! I live with a soon to be nurse and if you knew what she's gone through holding down a 40+ hr a week job and handling 12 hrs of school a week you'd have a much greater respect for nurses. :|

Lemme add that she also is raising her 9yo son and dealing with me on a daily basis. I'm just happy she's not gone postal or spontaneously combusted. :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Easy there mister! I live with a soon to be nurse and if you knew what she's gone through holding down a 40+ hr a week job and handling 12 hrs of school a week you'd have a much greater respect for nurses.

I like nurses a lot..........those cute outfits.......the little hats..........Oh no wait. That was a titty bar. Not a hospital. :D

Have faith that whatever decisions that you make in this life are not set in stone. Have faith in yourself and the universe. Think about what you want to create--visualize yourself as an MD; visualize yourself as a nurse and pick what reality that you want to create. All the stuff in between--the road that you take to get to your destiny--school/expense/time--it just doesn't matter. B|

But if I get drunk, I might decide to become a rodeo clown or something. :D

You could stay at a Holiday Inn Express :D:D That commercial w. the b-day party/rodeo clown cracks me up.

Go where the wind takes you and no matter what, it's not permanent. You can always go back to where you were or find another job similar to the one you were doing. Good luck, stay positive and have fun making this decision!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

The hardest decisions you make in life are the decisions like this. If I were you I would just go for the MD. It sounds to me that this is your dream. Why hide from what you were destined to do. You would be a good nurse, but you would be a better doctor.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

med school = $100,000s per year
nursing school =$1000s per year
if you are in the position to go to med school do it after all you have a long way to go in life not like your in your 50s or some thing.

Some real numbers here.

Undergrad Bachelors degree (Nursing major): maybe $12,000 (UW WI- 1989-93)
Medical School: approx $130,000 (private school - 1998-2002)

Get stanford loans, but then if you consolidate then the interest accrues and you start paying interest on the interest.

Residency you get (*cough*) paid MAYBE 40k/yr for the residency (Family practice 3yrs, OB/Gyn 4yrs, Ped Cardiology LOTS! Peds residency 3yrs and Fellowship another 3yrs) While paying on the loans or requesting a deferement.

Final pay difference
NICU nurse: $22-35/hr (approx 45k-73k)
PedCardiologist: approx 200k

More up front cost, but pays in the end. (if you're willing to delay gratification)

Not saying it's not worth it. But money is not the motivating force to go or not to go to medical school.

If you want the challenge - DO IT.

Karen

I don't know you, but I do have a feeling your in your early 20's. I'm 30 now & there are a lot of things I wanted to do in my early 20's that I thought would take way too long to complete.

Now, after a few blinks of my eye 8 years have passed, I would have been well on my way to a great career had I not been terrified of waiting a whole extra 4 - 6 years after undergrad.

Time goes by very fast, especially if you enjoy what your doing & there's probably lots of it in your future. Do what you'll want to be doing for the 40ish years after school, don't let a measly 6ish years scare you away.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I don't know you, but I do have a feeling your in your early 20's. I'm 30 now & there are a lot of things I wanted to do in my early 20's that I thought would take way too long to complete.

Now, after a few blinks of my eye 8 years have passed, I would have been well on my way to a great career had I not been terrified of waiting a whole extra 4 - 6 years after undergrad.

Time goes by very fast, especially if you enjoy what your doing & there's probably lots of it in your future. Do what you'll want to be doing for the 40ish years after school, don't let a measly 6ish years scare you away.

Kelly she's got awesome advice! It's soooooo true... I'm in a dead end job (yes job not career) because I didn't want to stick out the time it would have taken to finish college.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Regarding stafford loans:

Even if you consolidate the loans while you're in school, you do NOT start paying them until you graduate. Also, any amount that was subsidized remains subsidized as long as you are eligible.

I just consolidated my loans:

Total: 95K
Subsidized 58K

I pay no interest at all on the 58K until I graduate. On the rest, the interest rate is very slightly higher than what the original loans were, but in July, the interest rates on those loans would've gone sky-high, and so I'll be saving a ton of money in the long run.

When I graudate, I'll have to start making payments, and the subsidized portion will begin to accrue interest. I'll probably be getting another degree after this one, so once I start that program, the 58K will become subsidized again.

Regarding stafford loans:

Even if you consolidate the loans while you're in school, you do NOT start paying them until you graduate. Also, any amount that was subsidized remains subsidized as long as you are eligible.

When in residency... most (unless they get a hardship) start paying them back. In residency she would only be making 40k/annual and trying to pay back on the loans. My point was that those six years (3yrs on pediatrics and 3yrs on ped cardiology) will be tight. But then when she gets out it gets easier.

BTW....

What did you decide? Nursing program or Premed?