mmytacism

Crap! How do you treat a burn on your face without leaving a scar?

If you don't know me, I can tell you two things: a) that I'm absurdly accident prone and b) that I'm clueless when it comes to cooking.

Not the greatest of combinations. B|

Without delving into the details of my stupidity, let me just say that I've poured boiling water all over my face and now I have a blister on my cheek that looks like this: clicky

Right now I'm just treating it with a cool compress. Is it a bad idea to pop the blister? Can I put neo/polysporin on my face to prevent scarring? What can I do that'll make it heal the fastest and scar the least?

Blahhh. [:/] I'm afraid of stovetops now.

(Edited to make the link clicky)

Unfortunate. Sorry about your misfortune.

Do NOT pop the blister. Resist the temptation as it grows. The longer you can keep it in tact, the better your chances you will heal without scar. The skin below it is not developped yet and will do so under the fluids which will keep it moist and feed it. (gross)

Get some Vitamin E pills -the capsules with actual gel in 'em. Break them and apply the gel. You can't use too much here.

If you can find a nice healthy Aloe plant, break off an arm and squeeze out the aloe gel. Use this instead or in addition to.

Resist the temptation, no matter how annoying it is, to touch it or play with it. and lastly,

Do not keep going to the mirror to look at it; try not to look at it at all actually. Visualise it healing back to beautiful, fresh, unmarked skin. Visualise it as intensely as you do your dirt-dives... it helps!!

Good luck, I hope you heal fast! :)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

OOOOOWWWWWIIIIIEEEEE! Well, I've heard (but I have no idea) that you should treat burns immediately with hot water so as not to blister/scar. If you already did the cold water thing (which it looks like) def. use the Neosporin but DON'T pop the blister - might lead to infection and worse scarring.

Sorry - I KNOW how bad burns hurt (even the little ones). [:/]

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Exactly what Goose 491 said. Do NOT touch it, leave it alone. Once, I had 12 blisters under one feet from walking on dry African terrain - I opened every single one of them with a needle, left the yarn in it, liquids disappered and all was forgotten within 2 days.

BUT: The skin of your face is completely different! Do not touch it with a needle, that might cause infections! - keep it smooth with a good cream and wait.

Bonne chance and look for a good book to learn how to cook w/o danger to your life...

:P:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Everything Goose said. EVERYTHING. Including the visualization. Stop poking it, stop looking at it, stop worrying about it. Aloe and Vit E is what my Dr. told me to use after surgery on my eye socket; now, you can't see the scar unless I point it out to you. So do what Goose said.

Also, please refrain from pouring boiling water on your face.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

My best luck was simply cold compress... like ice cubes directly on it for an hour or so....then not screwing with it and letting it heal naturally.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

With my burn I used Silvadine (?SP). It heals really quickly, and it what is used on people with large amounts of burns or severe burns. It can only be purchased through perscription.

I still have a slight scar, but it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. So, might be good to look into. :)
F LORIDA!

I burnt my nose from a curling iron when I was about 16. (don't even ask how I did that)

I put aloe vera, staright from the plant on my nose everyday and I don't have a scar.

Plus vitamin E oil or gel works.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

With my burn I used Silvadine (?SP). It heals really quickly, and it what is used on people with large amounts of burns or severe burns. It can only be purchased through perscription.

Yes, this is the stuff!! I'm also unsure of the spelling, but I work for a Fire Department and when my daughter got a second degree burn on her shoulder, the medics here got me some from the local ER and she healed beautifully and really quickly. Can't even tell she ever had the burn.

My mom's an oral-maxilofacial surgeon (face and neck), And she keeps saying that wounds in the mouth and face heals pretty quick because it has a good blood supply. I've had stiches just over my ear from an accident involving a flourescent tube, other then a smal bald spot, nothing at all. Just don't burst it, and let nature take it's course. Think of the bilster as natures own sterile bandage.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

For future reference, everyone should have an Aloe Vera plant growing around their house.

If you have a burn, just split a "leaf" and apply the goo.
It will stain cloth, so be careful of clothing or sheets.

Applied quickly, it is very soothing.

It another medicinal purpose. Mix a little in some water and drink it, but have no immediate plans. :o

what your refering to is called silver sulfadiazine cream, used specifically to curb bacterial growth, if your blister pops you really should look into getting some of that, if the skin is still intact that cream will do absolutely nothing, and you might try to find some bacitracin with zinc, you;d be surprised at the stuff people put on burns, i learned alot about burns at Brooke army medical center's burn unit, they have one of the worlds best units there:)
and jumping is probably a bad idea at this point the wind would definitely pop it
Fly it like you stole it

Thanks for the advice, guys! ;) I'm still trying to find an aloe plant. Here in central PA, we have cornfields galore, but even Super Wal-Mart has no aloe.

Now, how did I manage to scald my face with boiling water, you ask?

Blame the eight-legged mofo under the stove. I leaned down to grab him and, victorious, jumped up quickly, bumped the pot of water with enough force to catapult it into the air, and cringed as it flipped over right above my head. I only darted away fast enough to save the left side of my face.

Damn. At least the encroaching spider died in one swift blow.

So, that's my story. Laugh, point, etc. And keep me away from your kitchens. :P

I'm getting to this thread late, but I just wanted to tell you what worked for me. I had second degree burns on my face when I was a teenager from the sun and the blisters looked just like that. The hospital told me to alternate between a cold compress soaked in tea to help with the sting and then to put plain yogurt on it to help dry it up. I did that for an entire day, switching it out about every 20-30 minutes. It really helped and like everyone else said, don't pop it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Exactly what Goose 491 said. Do NOT touch it, leave it alone. Once, I had 12 blisters under one feet from walking on dry African terrain - I opened every single one of them with a needle, left the yarn in it, liquids disappered and all was forgotten within 2 days.

yarn? um please tell me this home remedy...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Yep. Easy to explain: Take a needle, contrive some yarn in it, go through the blister and leave the yarn in it.... liquid will be able to disappear, blister will dry out quickly - that's the whole secret! Blisters full of liquid are pain but, piercing the blister with a needle is not.

Leave the yarn in the blister for few days and you'll be fine w/in shortest time. My personal experience! :P
That's all.

Anyhow, I'd never do this with the tender, sensible skin of face etc.... It works perfect on feet.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105