jee

Stiletto Design

:D:D:D

You're funny!

Remember, this isnt fark or the onion. Most of us who have been around a while actually know each other, and call each other friends. And we actually KNOW the creditials someone has.

Bingo. I've known Lisa several years and we've partied together until the sun has almost come up. She loves nothing better than to help and educate those coming up in the sport and her gear experience is vast. She was even a moderator on this website for quite some time.

It's called giving back, Jee, and not enough people do it. She's not being derogatory.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

:D:D:D

You're funny!

Remember, this isnt fark or the onion. Most of us who have been around a while actually know each other, and call each other friends. And we actually KNOW the creditials someone has.

Bingo. I've known Lisa several years and we've partied together until the sun has almost come up. She loves nothing better than to help and educate those coming up in the sport and her gear experience is vast. She was even a moderator on this website for quite some time.

It's called giving back, Jee, and not enough people do it. She's not being derogatory.

Who are you? :P
Remster

you people are too hung up on jump numbers

You may not be hung up enough on jump numbers.

It seems that you and me have differing ideas on the subject. The good news is that one of us right, and the other, not so much.

Seeing as you don't know what it's like to have 500 jumps, and I do, and seeing that you don't know what it's like to fly a Stiletto, and I do, who would the smart money be on to be the winner here?

Seriously, your feelings aside, you have to admit that my credentials look good on paper. A jury of my peers might even consider me an 'expert witness'.

Do you happen to know what they were then, and what they are now?

Dunno about 1992, but back in 1996 a buyer had to have "600 jumps" and sign a waiver (iirc it was 2 different waivers for the sub-100 sizes).

That was derogatory? I think not.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

???????????
calm down. you people are too hung up on jump numbers.

PLEASE READ:

I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYBODY!!!!!!!:P:P:P

------------------
OK, fine you're sorry, accepted. But don't mess with us no mo, we protect our own.

Some places have a don't ask don't tell rule.
In skydiving, there is the don't ask get dead rule.>:(
On DZ.com there is the ask and look out rule.
Jump with me and there is only one rule - don't hurt Bill;)

Jump numbers (to some degree) = been there done that - got lucky and survived, please learn from our mistakes and don't try the same stupid stuff yourself:)
find something new and stupid to try so we can learn from you
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I don't understand the big deal here. I started jumping a Stiletto 190 at 85 jumps after the previous jumps on a Sabre 2 190. It really isn't THAT much different. We are not talking about a stiletto 120 here..come on. It isn't any faster than a Sabre 2, has a better flare and opens much softer. the only difference is in the turns: a bit more responsive and you lose a bit more altitude. The "Spin-etto" thing is ridiculous. In fact i have had more line twists in the Sabre than the Stiletto. You don't have to fly it like a bat out of hell either. What's wrong with a nice easy straight in landing? Just be prepared if you have to make a last minute turn to avoid an obstacle.
I know Jee. He is an exellent canopy pilot and actually flys and lands much better than jumpers with over 1000 jumps and more.......every single time. I'm sure also it helps that he has thousands of hours flying the bush in the Yukon and Alaska. No doubt that transfers over. He's a leader too, not a follower.
I'll put my $20 on jee also. Having lots of jumps doesn't really mean much especially on a forum. Neither do credentials. The proof is in the bite not the bark.
I watched Jee jump the Stiletto 190 this past weekend. That's where I saw the bite.

Ciao

He is an exellent canopy pilot and actually flys and lands much better than jumpers with over 1000 jumps and more.......every single time.

Boy, that's swell.

I know a guy just like that. You can read about him on this website.

His wheelchair is real shiney.

:|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1124590#1124590
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I completely disagree with you on the differences between the Stiletto and Sabre2. How many jumps do you have on each?

I have about 600 jumps on Stilettos and probably 300 on Sabre2s and I find them to be completely different canopies.

It isn't any faster than a Sabre 2, has a better flare and opens much softer. the only difference is in the turns: a bit more responsive and you lose a bit more altitude. The "Spin-etto" thing is ridiculous.

What is your perception of being faster under canopy? Most people consider a canopy that is more responsive to input to be faster. I personally think that the Stiletto is faster than the Sabre2.

The Sabre2s that I have jumped take more time and altitude to open than the Stilettos - I consider that to be a softer opening. My Stiletto openings were not hard, but they were definitely more brisk than the Sabre2.

I agree with you that the Stiletto is more responsive, but I find it to be significantly more responsive, not just a bit.

As far as altitude loss goes, you are incorrect, that is not an opinion. The Stiletto has a much shorter recovery arc than the Sabre2 and loses a lot less altitude in a turn.

The reason the Stiletto gets referred to as a "Spinetto" is not because it spins up all the time, but rather when it does spin up it can get pretty ugly. I had to cutaway from line twists from the canopy to my risers. The risers were pinning my head to my chest and the canopy was spinning pretty violently.

I'm not trying to say whether you or anyone else should or should not be jumping a Stiletto; that's up to the people who know you and is ultimately your decision. I just felt that you did not give a good comparison between the two canopies and wanted to put my experiences out there.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I agree with you on this one Diablo. However, what does a punk swooping a velo 90 loaded 2:1 have to do with a responsible adult on a Stiletto 190 loaded at less than 1.2?
I would like to know where you are coming from here.

I want to make it clear now that I'm not particularly arguing with you I am mostly just playing devil's advocate.

Experience doesn't save lives it just keeps you out of trouble therefore you might not die.

Stupidity, like the punk on the velo, will kill you.

He is an exellent canopy pilot and actually flys and lands much better than jumpers with over 1000 jumps and more.......every single time.

Boy, that's swell.

I know a guy just like that. You can read about him on this website.

His wheelchair is real shiney.

Thats right if you stay around long enough in the sport you will see why. I agree with ya Diablopilot.

I'm not replying to anyone specifically...Sorry for riding on your coat tail Doug. Just one question...Would any of you actually say what you are saying to each other if you were looking the person in the eye?
The canopy is nice...I liked my 135. The only real danger is the plane-out...It tempts pilots to start low to hit the sweet-spot.
Let us end this thread by actually answering the question...No...there have been no functional changes to the Stiletto.
Don't we have enough to worry about without taking shots at each other for fun?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Just one question...Would any of you actually say what you are saying to each other if you were looking the person in the eye?

Yes.

For fun? I sold my last Stiletto to a guy with over 600 jumps, and he double femured himself within 3 months, and 100-some jumps on the canopy. Sound like fun to you?

The only real danger is the plane-out...

I hope you don't really believe this.

For fun? I sold my last Stiletto to a guy with over 600 jumps, and he double femured himself within 3 months, and 100-some jumps on the canopy. Sound like fun to you?

I don't see where this fits in to my original post?????
I know somebody who had 800 jumps with about 100 on a new Safire 2 209. He was killed.......by a swooper with 4500 jumps who had "experience". Do you really think I'm going to listen to you on a forum instead of the instructors at MY dropzone?

I have one simple question. Is the stiletto the same now as it was in 1993? And are there any idiosyncrosies one should be aware of? (if the canopy has been changed)
Thanks to those who reponded appropriatlely. If you have any more comments pertaining to my question I welcome them. To the rest of you...please keep your comments amongst yourselves. I appreciate your concern but I'm not interested in what my abilities are or are not as far as this forum goes. I have instuctors and a S&TA that has far more experience and many more jumps than any one of you. (if that's the marker you're going to use) They are also very conservative with allowing their sport jumpers downsizing canopies therefore I am very comfortable with there suggestions.
I'm covered in that department without your unsolicited advice.

Thank you.

instuctors and a S&TA that has far more experience and many more jumps than any one of you. (if that's the marker you're going to use)

What other marker would you suggest?

You're a pilot, right? How many hours do you have? Or shouldn't I ask that?

Why does the insurance company ask me how many hours I have when looking into aircraft insurance? They ask total time, time in type, any ratings I have, and where apllicable how much twin or turbine time I have.

Maybe you should write them and assure them you what you're doing, and that they should provide coverage regardless of your experience.

I hear your point. It is exactly the point I'm trying to make. You can't possibly have enough information to pass judgement by jump numbers alone. Why continue to bully?

This thread has become nothing more than a pissing match of which I'll have no more part of. It also is no place to discuss my flight experience. This is a skydiving forum.

Perhapse I should have I should have made my point more clearly. First..I find that "advising" someone in a negative and antagonistic manner is not often productive. Next...What I meant by my comment about the "plane-out" characteristics of the canopy is that, aside from all the risks shared by most canopies, this trait, specific to the stiletto, can lure someone into an incident, such as what happened to your friend. Finally...I'm sorry about your friend. I have a friend who had the same type of injury, and it sucks.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Just one question...Would any of you actually say what you are saying to each other if you were looking the person in the eye?

Yes.

And I bought a new Stiletto when I had 38 jumps, and put over 1,500 jumps on it without injury before I retired it.

Anecdotal evidence is interesting but proves nothing whatever.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.