Nightingale

What do you say to a soldier...

who comes home seriously injured?

A friend of mine came home from Iraq yesterday. A few days ago, the vehicle he was in encountered an IED and everyone in the vehicle was seriously burned. My friend was burned on his hands and face, and is currently on a ventilator, conscious but sedated. He was airlifted to Germany and from there, home to the US, to Texas. They're expecting it to take between three to six months before he can leave the burn center and go home.

I can't call him, because he can't talk because of the ventilator, so I was going to send him a card. I sat down to write it out, and realized I have no clue what to say. "Get well soon" sounds so stupid...

I think you can say "get well soon" but in a more eloquent way. You've got a gift for expression, Kris... it's just a matter of deciding what you want to say.

If it were my friend, I'd write about how I was thinking of him, and sending him positive thoughts for recovery. I'd probably acknowledge the challenge he's about to face, but offer up any kind of support I could (specifics, if possible). I'd say I'm sorry it happened but that I was very proud of him for serving.

But that's just me. Your words are in your heart.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Let him know you appreciate him putting his butt on the line and serving our country.

Also find out if there is anything that he needs that is not available to him.. just little nice things that make life better when you are in the hospital.

Visit him and tell him you were thinking of him and his sacrifices.... tell him Thanks.... Or just visit him and give him a hug.

(or ask Max-Gawain what he appreciated most)

Karen

I'd love to visit, but he's in Texas and I'm in California. I can't afford a plane ticket or hotel right now.

It depends - how is his sense of humor?

He's got a great sense of humor, but I don't know his state of mind at the moment. I haven't been able to talk to him.

Show him this site . . . and see our support.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

just let hin know you are thinking of him

wish him a speedy recovery

thank him for his service

That's right on, just let him now you support what he's doing and thank him for that. So many people are so uneasy about what to say they don't say anything, and that's horrible.

was he a jumper? Id go with what grunt said offer support and thanks

He wants to jump but hasn't yet. He and his wife were planning on doing tandem jumps when he got home.

Maybe send his wife something also, Their in this together and this could be the start of a very long journey.[:/]

Robert

Aka R.I.P.

If it were one of my friends I would probably just say something like...."well I bet next time you'll look out a little better for those ieds wont you?" But...I can be quite unsensitive (espically at work) and my friends know this.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Sorry to hear about this.

Best thing send him a card that you are thinking of him and thanking him for his service.

Send him something that is special between you two: be it a stuffed teddy bear or just a photo. I would stay away from photos of his face etc for now until he gets over his wounds as the physical part is the eastest part to handle but the mental part is the hardest.

Let him know that you are there for him and that you can not wait to see him so have him get back soon. Maybe set a date to go out to eat.?

Hope this helps.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

who comes home seriously injured?

Just about anything encouraging is appropriate. It helps keep one's mind in a forward looking orientation, which also helps with the healing process (personal experience). Also from my personal experience, I liked receiving somewhat humorous cards, with notes that gave me news about how the sender was as well.

If you plan to visit, let him know, and then follow through. First, you might want to check with his Ward about visitation rules, since burn units usually are very isolationist to protect their patients from infections.

One thing to be confident with, his care will be second to none, and I express all my hope for a speedy recovery.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Say thank you, and tell him what you think of him.

I was in the hospital with another guy, and he looked really bad.

His gf seemed to cheer him up greatly by looking under the sheets and saying with a big smile on her face...

"I am damned glad they didn't hurt your best part!"

He was laughing really loudly when the nurses came in to calm him down.

I often wondered why humor makes it so easy to forget how bad things are.

I can't call him, because he can't talk because of the ventilator, so I was going to send him a card. I sat down to write it out, and realized I have no clue what to say. "Get well soon" sounds so stupid...

"I'd like to express my great appreciation for the sacrifice you've made for all of us. I'd also like to convey my sympathy for the suffering you continue to endure. It is only by the actions of people such as yourself that we all enjoy the freedoms that we do. Without you and others like you, we would not exist as a free nation. I hope your recovery is speedy and know that many of us are praying for and thinking of you often."

Maybe something like that.