cocheese

Good Luck space shuttle and crew

I have got to admit...if I was on the crew I would be a bit nervous at this point, especially with the crack in the foam that they found.....

I will be watching from my back porch....though it being a daytime launch I may or may not be able to see it...with the haze and clouds...night time launches are the BEST!!! I live about 250 miles away but I can see it quite nicely thanks to the after burners!;) Its an awesome sight!!

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Nervous!? Maybe... But everyone of the shuttle crews would sold their sister to launch a mission the day after Columbia bit the big one.
Those guys and girls live for that shit like we live to skydive, every mission is very likely to be a disaster.

Go shuttle crews!

America, still the greatest country in the world!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

It cost me a case of beer, but it was well worth it.

The guys at Skydive Deland did a great job of organizing it and keeping up with the countdown. The pilot (Brent) really did a great job of getting us in exact position at the exact moment. Looking out the right side I could see the glow of the engines when the green light came on.

We exited, stabilized and turned to watch it climb through some low clouds. It was very cool to be in free fall watching the shuttle climb. The skydive was mostly geeking the camera, but it was fun.

God Speed STS 121, come home safe.

Cheers,

MH

heavens-above.com

The next couple nights are going to be awesome for many people.

I hope you're in the right spot and have clear skies.

I'll google this into a language that people can understand - but could you explain for those that are google impaired?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nervous!? Maybe... But everyone of the shuttle crews would sold their sister to launch a mission the day after Columbia bit the big one.

Those guys and girls live for that shit like we live to skydive, every mission is very likely to be a disaster.

Being hardnose here, I wonder if they signed an "Assumption Of Risk"?

Part of me wonders why we worry so much about astronauts bouncing, when every year there are many more police, fire fighters, troops not coming home.

Police, fire fighters, troops knew the risk when the signed up for the job...but usually we don't mourn the aforementioned line of duty deaths quite like we mourn a shuttle bouncing.

I suspect this will not be a popular opinion, but I will connect my PC via a fiber link, kind of like an asbestos suit (and yes, quite a few people died not knowing the risks of mining, and working with asbestos.)

Switching the copper cable for a fiber one now...

(Yes, I am a geek.)

(And most of all, I will mourn the passing of any astronauts who die, just like I mourn the passing of every fire fighter, police and soldier who dies in the line of duty.)

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

You have a point, but it's not necessary to point it out here or after Chili's post. Most of us are smarter and more compassionate than the trendy masses.

Like i won't care if Michael Jackson dies or any President for example. Well i care, but i probably care more about my neighbor's dog than someone i never met. When a shuttle bounces, it hurts in that all the space whuffos now question the game.

For example, tonight for those living in Central Florida; The International Space Station will be flying overhead at 2224 until 2227. The Space Shuttle will fly overhead at 2215 until 2217.

Google heavens-above.com

Register yourself

put in your location

select which satellite you are interested in

find the clicky thingy for ground track

go outside at the appointed hour and marvel at how cool these things look when they fly over your house.

Clear Skies

To see where the flybys will be you can also go to:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_States®ion=Kansas&city=Olathe (This is the link for my where I live, but you can change it for your location.)

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

You have a point, but it's not necessary to point it out here or after Chili's post.

Cocheese,

You put more thought into your reply than I put into my post. Looking back, I agree with you, posting it after Chili's post wasn't my best move, rather it was an attempted hijack, and thoughtless at best.

Apologies Chili, and thanks for the post Cocheese.

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.