skymama

NYC on a budget

jesus, how could i forget...the street fairs! andrea, i KNOW you, so i know that you will enjoy them. tons of crazy shopping and bartering in the streets. you'll LOVE it! ;)

eat one of the nutella and banana crepes sprinkled with confectioners sugar. omfg. heaven.

andrea, i KNOW you, so i know that you will enjoy them.

You mean, go to New York and shop? I never even thought of that. I was just going for the culture. :);)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ferrara's is a definite must if you like deserts.

My sister live in NY so I visit a few times a year. On the last trip we decided to do the typical tourist thing and take the open topped red bus tours (forget the operator, but if you are interested let me know and I will find it). They were fantastic, we saw plenty of places my sister had never even been. They are hop-on hop-off and the tickets are good for a few days and they hit all the major spots and you can even get tickets to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (which is another must, one of the most amazing places to visit). So, if you are only there for a long weekend and it is your first time, that might something to consider. Also, they do a tour of the Christmas lights around that time of year (which I plan to take this Christmas myself).:)
Also, I agree with the others that have recommended the Rockette's show, it is beautiful and a lot of fun. You could also try to see an off Broadway show if you want to save money.

Have a blast!!!

OHHH Ferraras also has the worlds BEST cheesecake.... bring one home there only 31 bucks and much better then a jump....

*DROOLING*

UGH.

Don't go to EITHER. TOURIST TRAPS, and perhaps HALF as good as ANY of the places listed below...

Magnolia Bakery

Crumbs Bake Shop

And of course, for the best Pizza in Manhattan:

Ray's Pizza

What ntrprnr said. Ferraras is not that great. Don't waste your time. The Magnolia bakery is awesome and certainly worth the trip.

For pizza, I recommend Lombardi's in Little Italy. It's one of the older/oldest pizza places in NYC.

There's tons of things to do, but I love downtown best. The shopping in Soho is great. Check out Canal Street too. The lower east side has a lot of interesting history (if you like that sort of stuff) and don't forget to see a show. Even if it's an off-Broadway production. Hope you have a great time.

Do have at least ONE NYC hot-dog from a vendor, just for the experience.

Absolutely get a hot dog from a vendor. My favorite vendor is on Broad street (downtown) right in front of the Borders book store, and across the street from that famous church down there (...don't remember the name). It's very close to NYSE.
We are all engines of karma

I mostly agree with everything ntrprnr has said.

NYC hot dog, get a Gray's Papaya.
Definitly try and get tix to Letterman or Conan. You can pick the dates long before you're going to be there and they'll give you tickets if they're available.

The tree is something you should see at least once in a lifetime.

Head up to 128th and Lenox, on the corner you'll see a guy with a Yankees cap sitting on a milk crate, tell him you know Johnny....take pictures and post.

You can always PM me if you have any questions or need help with anything. Good luck.

Is Site59 still around with the last minute travel deals? I think they might be part of Travelocity now. If so, check that out. It's not real great for trying to plan a trip way in advance, but if you saw something great maybe you could surprise her with a trip prior to her birthday?

When I lived in NYC I always tried to get my friends to check out the Site59 deals because they usually came with airfare and a hotel for cheaper than the normal cost of airfare, and it meant that they got to stay in a hotel instead of laying sleeping bags end to end in my guest room (aka hallway).

I'm travelling paying for internet access at the moment so I can't write a big list of things to do, but I certainly second taking the staten island ferry to see liberty rather than taking the actual liberty ferry.

Hopefully I'll get some time a bit later to make some more suggestions.

jason
Killing threads since 2004.

I've stayed at the Metro Hotel 3 times in the last two years.....very good price, on 44th so it's close to a lot, very clean, and the service started off good and improved more every time I went.

Empire State (day or night) is a must.

Ride the subway at least once.

The Harbour Tour (don't know the name - starts on the east side of Manhattan, goes around Battery Park and up past the Brooklyn Bridge, then cruises out to the Statue) was fantastic.....especially starting at dusk and ending at night).

Beef shish-kabob from a street vendor.

Times Square at 6 p.m. or 3 a.m..

Comfortable shoes.

Take plenty of film.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

The one thing you absolutely must do while in NYC that doesn't get any attention is visit the Magnolia Bakery in the Village.

It is the single best desert anywhere in America. It's located at 11th and Bleeker, and the phone number is 212 462 2572. YOU MUST try the Red Velvet cupcakes or cake. The pleasure is indescribable.

Also, and great place to stay is Ye Olde Carlton Arms. Rooms are unique to say the least, just be sure you don't get the scary room. Prices are reasonable. Downright cheap for lower midtown NYC.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

A great way to save money if you are planning on seeing a lot of the sites is the CityPass. The pass grants you admission to the American Museum of Natural History & Rose Center, the Guggenheim Museum, The Museum of Modern Art, the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises, and the Empire State Building. If you buy the pass you have 9 days to visit each attractions once and I think it's about half the price you'd normally pay. You can either order it online or if you decide to get it while in NYC you can pick it up at any of the paces listed above, I've done this before (and I used to live just outside the city and still go to school there) and it's great. It was especially great to buy when people would come and visit me. Every single place that it gives access to are must sees in NYC.

If you feel like getting a lot done in one day, there's also the New York Pass. This gives you admission to 40-something attractions and is $54. It includes a lot more attractions, but you only have one day to visit all you can. Definitely doable to visit a lot on a day, but you'll be exhausted too! However, it icludes a lot that the CityPass doesn't like the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Madame Tussaud¡'s Wax Museum, NBC Studio Tour, Radio City Music Hall Stage Door Tour, The United Nations Tour, Madison Square Garden All Access Tour, and many others. But like I said, that's a TON to do in one day! I've personally never bought this one, but a few people I know have. And according to their website it also gives you discounts at restaurants and prevents a lot of time waiting on lines so that definitely helps!

Another way to keep it cheap is to buy unlimited ride metro cards. They pay for themselves quickly. Remember the subway is $2 per ride. The one day unlimited is $7-that pays for itself in 4 rides. Depending on how long you'll be there, the one week I think is $24. The metrocard is good on both subways and busses.

I hope that helps if you need anything else let me know. You guys will have a great time!

*daizey*

Another suggestion...

If you are at all up for some comedy, check out Upright Citizens Brigade ( http://www.uprightcitizens.org/main.html ). You might remember that they used to have a tv show a bunch of years ago.

They are still together and have a small theater in Chelsea. They do all sorts of stuff, but on Sunday nights they do a show call AssCat, which is a night of improv comedy. They have two shows, one is free and the other is less than $10. There is a core group of 4 people with guests from SNL, Letterman, Conan, etc. Definitely check it out!

jason.
Killing threads since 2004.