jumper03

A quick poll to help me out

Do you know what basalt is?

Yes I do, but then again I took a couple of geology courses for my sciences while in college. That and I really enjoyed the geology courses so I remembered quite a bit from them.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, I know, and without googling. I took that class sophomore year of high school and remember more of that than most things I should know...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I remember it has something to do with geology, but I'm not sure whether it's a particular type of rock, or some type of formation, or layer of rocks, or what. I wouldn't be able to pick basalt out of a lineup, so I voted "no."

Matt

Okay, so roughly two thirds of the general population know what basalt is - it appears many of you hav more than a passing association with it - that does my heart good....

So it stands to reason that a professor of geography should know what basalt is. One of my former geology students is taking the intro geography course to fulfill her basic requirement and came by this morning. Apparently this professor (and I mean full professor - no piddly assistant prof like myself) has been teaching his students that basalt is just a fine grained sandstone.

Now that I know 2/3 of the populace know basalt - I'm going to light him up.

He also told them that an earthquake and a tsunami are the same thing...:S

I thought it was pretty bad I have to teach basic math and english in my courses instead of geology and physics (which I would much rather do) but now I've got to contend with faculty teaching the wrong stuff!!!

I'm considering a career change - I hear there is a need for ditch diggers...
Scars remind us that the past is real