TheJokergs

I'm a newbie

i havn't got any jumps under my belt yet because Im just waiting till i turn 18(mum and dad won't let me) then its tandem and if i like it (which i will) i will then do AFF.
I just have one question. what is the feeling you experience when you jump out of the plane? is it like on a rollercoasta where your stomach is in circles for a second or is it just falling and not gittin the floor that scares this shit out of people.????
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.???

my 1st jump, had this rollercoaster feeling first 5-8 seconds, then full joy till the ground. Never felt the rollercoaster thing again, but the joy is aways bigger.
Just be careful of a few things :
it's highly addictive
it will cost you loads of money
it will cost you all your non skydiving friends
it will cost you your family
WHO CARES
i'm sure you'll love it :P:P:P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

The principles behind the cause of the "roller coaster" feeling are unknown to me. However, I don't believe that it is likely (read possible) that you'll experience that feeling. If you've ever jumped out of a tree, off a house, or something similar, you should know the feeling. Not scary at all....:P

yeah i thought it would be something like that. im thinking i might join up with the military as a parachute rigger (maybe) in Australia Army parachute riggers have to be freefall qualified to be able to hold their rigging status, so if fugure it can't hurt to get payed to dive and pick up trade certificutes in rigging. plus all the big aircraft to jump from
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.???

I did IAD (static line) from a cessna 2 years ago.

I was disappointed that I felt no such 'falling' feeling. I don;t know about going out on a tandem first but the one thing you WILL notice is you go from noise and wind to virtual SILENCE - makes you feel as if you've gone deaf. It's really cool.

Of course, the faster you fall the noiser the air again becomes, but there are no vibrations or engine noises.

Actually, every time I jump fro ma plane a ifeel free and reborn.

Have fun. Beware the addiction ;)

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Most first-time jumpers expect a "roller coaster" sensation and most are disappointed by how smooth the exit and freefall really are.
I suspect that is because roller coasters are designed to produce a series of rapid, closely spaced accelerations. decelerations and changes in direction.
On the other hand, when you jump out of an airplane, momentum continues to carry you forward for several seconds while you experience a gradual change in direction and velocity. It takes 8 to 12 seconds to transition from the horizontal trajectory - of the airplane - to the downwards direction of freefall. The time difference depends largely upon how fast the airplane was travelling when you exited. For example, if you exit a Cessna flying 80 mph across the ground, it may require 12 seconds to accelerate to 120 mph downwards. On the other hand, if you exit a C-130 travelling 130 mph across the ground, you actually have to decelerate to normal freefall speed.
In conclusion, lots of first-time jumpers expect a "roller coaster" or "elevator" sensations and lots are disappointed.

You dont get a "Rollercoaster" feeling because you are already moving when you exit (ie in the plane). When you on a rollercoaster its the rapid change or direction which makes you stomach feel the way it does. When you jump out of a plane this inertia isnt there cos when you exit you are still going the same speed as the plane and you gradually slow down. So dont expect any rollercoaster rushes or anything cos they dont happen. Its FAR FAR better than that;)

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

In conclusion, lots of first-time jumpers expect a "roller coaster" or "elevator" sensations and lots are disappointed.

]
Disappointed???

Nope. I'm still here and lovin every jump. More frustrating is that it's becoming a bit like 'work' tyying to find the 'edge of scared' feeling I crave so badly. Sad that something so exciting as skydiving could become 'ordinary' ... maybe this is how freefly came about ... before CRW came about ... before RW came about.... wonder what's next?

Dave

it's highly addictive
it will cost you loads of money
it will cost you all your non skydiving friends

Oh man, you hit the nail right on the head with that quote!! My non-skydiving friends are pissed because I spend all of my days off out at the DZ. Also I am broke as a joke:S To top it all off I am 200% addicted;) Don't forget AIDS (Air Induced Divorce Syndrome) if you have a GF when you start you might not have her when you finish. I know from experience:o

thanks for all the info, the only part i was actually concernd about was the exit, i hate rollercoasters they scare the shit out of me, though i find it strange that i like airline turbulance (even been ove the atlantic when you plane is struck by lighting ****ing fun/scary)
i herd from my physics teacher at school that sky diving is just like flaoting in space and since i ain't in a rush to be a astronaught this is about as good as it comes. anyway i can't wait to make that first jump.

actaully, the physics involed is a bit more subtle.
You experience a large change in direction.

Your forward speed slows to 0 , and vertical climbs to 120mph in a few seconds. This is definatly noticeable.
The cnage in direction requires signifcant acceleration and that is what you feel.

http://dropman.com

You know, it all depends on the type of aircraft you go out of. I jumped out of a Cessna-- couldn't feel it. A King Air-- definitely couldn't feel it. Then I jumped out of an Otter (not a Super Otter)-- I felt it a little bit, maybe for 3 seconds or so. That video is funny, because I wasn't expecting it. I was flailing around. But if you know what to expect, it's definitely not that bad! There are about 5 rides at 6 Flags that I won't ride, but I'll jump out of a plane any day!!

Blue Skies,
Kelly

I, like many people I've talked to, felt it my first time, and haven't felt it since. I think lots of people trick themselves into feeling it when they really don't, 'cuz they expect it so much. And who was the guy who said it goes from windy to silent? From my experince it's gone from the loudness of the plane and the wind outside the plane to just really loud wind:)

Never got the rollercoaster rush thing. Oh well, doesn't matter. Might have been fun once or twice. I can often be found speeding down a backraod trying to find hills that I can go over to get a 0 g feeling.

Ya know, speaking of rollercoasters, I never really minded the acceleration feeling, I tended to hate the vibration and the fact that I swear I am gonna smack my head/feet on something. :S:D:ph34r:
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

..This is definatly noticeable.
The cnage in direction requires signifcant acceleration and that is what you feel.

Nope its not definately noticible. My body doesnt feel like its accelerating to 120mph. It would if I jumped from a stationary object like a helicoptor or balloon, but certainly not from a plane. It feels like floating, not falling (other than the wind in your face)

i did my first jump about 2 months ago now. it was a tandem. the experiance was breathtaking, the funny thing was i wasnt even apprehensive. but then again its hard to be apprehensive when all u can think about is "dammit i should have done that piss before i got on the plane" hehe. luckly i managed to wait until after i landed. about the rollercoaster experiance tho. i didnt get that at all, i thought i would, and expected it to happen but was presenty suprised. the thrill is fantastic, and whats funny is that the still photo's are all exactly the same, me with my mouth open hehe, i looked like a fish!. anyways im doing it static line next year at the start of the summer. !u should really do it! it rocks! i started working to help fund it!.... if you have any doubts about the sport then do a tandem, it really clears stuff up.B|

anyways im doing it static line next year at the start of the summer.

IMO if you know you like it, do AFF. Its freefall from the start. BTW, I dont want to start ANOTHER AFF v SL debate, just my opinion:D

I just have one question. what is the feeling you experience when you jump out of the plane? is it like on a rollercoasta where your stomach is in circles for a second [...] ????

I went on a roller coaster this weekend. For me it's not the same feeling whatsoever. Getting off the coaster I felt weak in the knees and lightheaded. Sometimes coasters do that to me even though they're fun! I have yet to feel that way jumping. The new coaster at Knott's Berry Farm (Xelerator) seemed so scary to me that I wouldn't go on it... and I don't know if I ever will. I felt like a big chicken after jumping out of planes! [:/]
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

I just have one question. what is the feeling you experience when you jump out of the plane? is it like on a rollercoasta where your stomach is in circles for a second or is it just falling and not gittin the floor that scares this shit out of people.????

I think that for most, it's the taking a step out of the plane that scares of shit out of people. Once they've made the leap of faith, it's mostly a fun ride. AFF1 is rather intense, but the spike is definitely at the exit.