lawrocket

Have the British heard of sprinklers?

I've been catching highlights of the British Open on television. That has got to be the shittiest looking course I have ever seen.

Here's an example of the course conditions, though this actually shows some green grass in the tee box.
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/photo?slug=getty-56470751rm007_135th_open_ch_4_55_17_am&prov=getty

I'm trying to find words to describe this place. "Carl - I want you to kill every blade of grass on this course." "What, you dont' want me to kill gophers anymore?" "Nahhh. Let them live. We want this course to be able to go up in flames from a stray cigarette butt." It looks like a desert firebreak.

I mean, come on, Brits. Sprinklers are not a bad thing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thats up north. Its meant to look like that. AFAIK that course is <100Meters from the sea and its heather/moorland type stuff that is naturally brown.

Its not flushing meadows!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=HOYLAKE,+UNITED+KINGDOM&ie=UTF8&ll=53.384621,-3.191786&spn=0.011416,0.033989&t=h&om=1

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

I 'm not a golf follower so not sure where the course is but some parts off england are actually suffering a water shortage and there are hose pipe (which includes sprinklers)ban Dude:|

As i say not a golf fan can't hit the fecking ball :D:Dquicker picking it up and throwing it that why i skydive;):D.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

We have a water shortage.... and anyway, we cannt tell what colour the course is on our black & White tellies

Also, golf is such a shite game... no one really cares:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

That can't be a real photo from England, it's depicting sunny conditions there, everyone knows it's always dark and rainy there.... jeesh... :P:S:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

This is the land where golf originated;I think they are trying to re create the look of a hyper traditonal course from the time when a club was nothing more than a bent sapling and the ball was a wood fired kiln hardened turd from some goat like creature. The hole was actually a burrow made by badgers....which explains hole relocation on todays greens.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I was stationed in England and it generally rains 364 1/2 days a year. That may be an exageration but it rais alot and they generally don't have much need to water their grass. I just got off the phone this morn. with a friemd over there and he tells me that they have had 90 to 100 degree heat for some time. That is why the grass is burning up.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Historical note --

That's the way it's supposed to look.....the traditional courses in the UK were formed by grazing sheep for thousands of years, and the Brits just went out and built a green here and there, or a pot bunker.

The Americans, in their never-ending quest to make things "better", started the movement of building hills, and bulldozing lakes, and planting trees, and watering the hell out of everything. All you see on this side of the pond are courses set up for target golf. Very few links-style courses here.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Before folks get all speakers corner on me I would like to add that I applaud any greens keeper who trys to reduce the amount of pesticides,fertilizers and watering done on any golf course. I like golf but my first jobs involved professional lawn care, You don't want to know about the nasty shit that was sprayed on a daily basis to fend off fungus and bugs.

my lawn is an experiment where I let the different weeds battle for supremacy...grass species are getting their asses kicked right now, but they will get their revenge in the spring.

Who actually is credited with golfs invention anyway?

more talk of "hosepipes" is gonna get the girls worked up.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415