boinky

Flight Speed?

According to boeings technical specs it has a typical Cruise Speed of 555 mph

so A & D are out...

I like 583 mph because 600 mph just seems a little too round for me...

although the maximum possible airspeed it probably highly dependent on the Engines installed on the aircraft of which there are three possible.

Pratt & Whitney JT9D-7R4G2
54,750 lb (24,635 kg)

Rolls-Royce RB211-524D4
53,000 lb (23,850 kg)

GE CF6-80C2B1
55,640 lb (25,040 kg)

Because the GE engines will generate more overall thrust then the the other two engines at the same weight. (though not substantially... it could be the difference of a few mph...) its like putting in a bigger engine in your car...

I do sort of lean towards the possibility that none of the above are actually correct on the basis that I wouldn't really like running at 92-95% of maximum (of course that assumes that the thrust to speed is linear which I'm sure it isn't... my fluid mechanics is rusty though... :P)

ok... so... I'm guessing a simple A, B, C, or D would have sufficed... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

No, I don't know the answer. I will let everyone know what the site claims the correct answer is though...probably tomorrow.
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I vaguely recall some accident investigation several years ago claimed that a diving 747 actually passed mach 1 just before breaking up. It's been a long time, and I'm probably remembering it incorrectly, though.

Matt

Pretty sure it's stable flight. But just for S&G...what would it be diving straight down? ;)

747's have a structural integrity that would be compromised when reaching a certain speed. Not sure what that is, but mach 1 is a good guess.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Okay...I'll show my flying ignorance. :S How fast is Mach 1? (No, it won't have anything to do with the answer to the question at hand, though)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Okay...I'll show my flying ignorance. :S How fast is Mach 1? (No, it won't have anything to do with the answer to the question at hand, though)

Mach 1 is the speed of sound: ~762 mph (sponnerized the last two digits.. :$)

Speed of sound varies on temp, altitude, air density, etc. but Icon posted it at sea level(762ish)...Mach 1 is the speed of sound Mach 2 is x2 the speed ....etc

For example, the speed of sound at 30000 feet is about 670 miles per hour, but an aircraft must travel at least 750 miles per hour (Mach 1.12, where Mach 1 ...
http://www.sky-flash.com/boom.htm
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Speed of sound varies on temp, altitude, air density, etc. but Icon posted it at sea level(762ish)...Mach 1 is the speed of sound Mach 2 is x2 the speed ....etc

For example, the speed of sound at 30000 feet is about 670 miles per hour, but an aircraft must travel at least 750 miles per hour (Mach 1.12, where Mach 1 ...

The speed of sound in my office is currently 337 m/s.

:)
Scars remind us that the past is real

What is the maximum flight speed of a Boeing 747-300 jetliner?

A- 340 mph
B- 583 mph
C- 600 mph
D- 495 mph

Air speed or ground speed?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

well... yeah... what the demon said... but I went for the simple in air at sea level answer... :P