rslavick

Javelin, Mirage or Infinity??

I think you are wrong in regards to the Infinity closing flap. It's construction is bulletproof and I have never seen or heard of anyone having problems with the main closing flap losing its hardness or closability.

The way the closing flap is constructed, VSE does not need to invert their main closing flap.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

The infinity closing flap definitely seems the most secure of any of them. I don't know why people are so down on the downwards closing flap. If anything, IMO it actually seems more secure than the upwards style (if they are sized correctly)

infinity is excellent, but I think in time their main closing flap will lose its hardness and closability. I may be wrong but the inverted closing flap makes it nearly foolproof. My v3 I haave never seen open and many others the same. Keep in mind infinity is awesome I would jump one anytime, just hoping they will invert the closing flap one of these days and that may change my idea of what rig I will own or at least have an extra.

I've got 2500 jumps on Infinity's that says your theory is wrong, and as been debated here many times before a properly designed down tuck is more secure in a collision than any up tuck.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

infinity is excellent, but I think in time their main closing flap will lose its hardness and closability.

See my reply above.

I also happen to think the Infinity and Mirage designs make it harder to work in a screwed up set to your flaps than other rigs out there. This is not to say there is not a way where there is a will, as I have seen jacked up riser covers on an Infinity and a jacked up main flap on a Mirage.

(The Mirage in question would be easier/cheaper for a rigger to fix than the Infinity, but that's a whole other ball of wax...)

infinity is excellent, but I think in time their main closing flap will lose its hardness and closability.

How much time??? I have over 400 jumps on my current rig...since September.

I probably have 800 to 1000 jumps on my rig over 3-4 years and it has yet to lose the hardness and always stays closed. On the other hand if don't take care of your rig I'm sure it will not last as long.

FWIW, my Javelin has about 800 jumps on it, and I've put 600 jumps on it myself. The main flap or riser covers have NEVER come undone on the ground or in freefall. If you actually size the rig correctly (i.e. don't stuff in too big of a main and reserve, and have an appropriate harness for your body size), they stay closed very well.

They're my favorite reserve containers to pack also.

You're right that I can't be certain all the time but a good % of my jumps are on video, also nobody has ever said anything to me about having a flap open. I know at least if I notice an open flap I'll tell the person later. I don't know if other people do that.

My Javelin feels very secure to me. I like how the flap is flat and wide. :)

from what my mentors are saying and my instructors, GET A SKYHOOK

This could start a shitstorm, but I had this conversation the other day with some newer jumpers. I personally don't think the skyhook is a god enough reason to buy any sport rig alone. Its cool if you want it, I personally dont think it serves too much of a purpose above and beyond a normal rsl in a sport jumping sense, and I dont think you (not you inparticular) should buy a rig soley based on getting the skyhook. Buy a rig cause its comfortable, cause you like the pin protection, cause you like the style. I think the skyhook craze has people thinking they are safer because of it and that just isnt true. I have seen people not know how the system functions and have rigged it improperly (collins lanyard) so that it in fact wont function as advertised), where as a normal rsl is either on or off. And the notion that people can cut away lower because of this piece of equipment will eventually lead to someone getting seriously hurt or killed if it does fail to function. like bill says, as gear gets better, people push the limits more and more to keep the fatality rate constant.

If you get a javelin or a vector, sure get a skyhook. If you like an infinity, get one, even though it doesnt have the skyhook yet. Save your own life, dont count on a backup device. A normal rsl will get your reserve out too, even if it is 2-300 feet later.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

from what my mentors are saying and my instructors, GET A SKYHOOK

This could start a shitstorm, but I had this conversation the other day with some newer jumpers. I personally don't think the skyhook is a god enough reason to buy any sport rig alone. Its cool if you want it, I personally dont think it serves too much of a purpose above and beyond a normal rsl in a sport jumping sense, and I dont think you (not you inparticular) should buy a rig soley based on getting the skyhook. Buy a rig cause its comfortable, cause you like the pin protection, cause you like the style. I think the skyhook craze has people thinking they are safer because of it and that just isnt true. I have seen people not know how the system functions and have rigged it improperly (collins lanyard) so that it in fact wont function as advertised), where as a normal rsl is either on or off. And the notion that people can cut away lower because of this piece of equipment will eventually lead to someone getting seriously hurt or killed if it does fail to function. like bill says, as gear gets better, people push the limits more and more to keep the fatality rate constant.

If you get a javelin or a vector, sure get a skyhook. If you like an infinity, get one, even though it doesnt have the skyhook yet. Save your own life, dont count on a backup device. A normal rsl will get your reserve out too, even if it is 2-300 feet later.

Camera-flyer...I don't want a skyhook. Or RSL

A normal rsl will get your reserve out too, even if it is 2-300 feet later.

Think it will be even that much?

Remember a reserve is suposed to be TSO'd to open withing 300 ft or 3 seconds no matter the airspeed of deployment.....

Oh and SkyHooks can and do fail to operate on occasion people, betting your life on one in a low cuttaway? Better figure out your options earlier.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.