stitch

For Girlfalldown

I finally got to say good-bye to Shannon in my own personal way this past week. We miss you.

Someone wrote a "crude" memorial on the bridge railing, pic attached. I tagged it with one of the "Memorial" stickers earlier this week, but somebody peeled it the next day. Some folks are just jerks.:(
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

That was a nice sentiment, Stitch. However, not to be mean and maybe I'm outta place for saying so since I'm not a BASE jumper myself (yet), but wouldn't both of those (the crude tag) and your sticker be considered the start of "burning an object" by defacing it? I'm just thinking that maybe someone else was thinking the same when they removed the sticker.

Otherwise, it was a nice sentiment. If stickers/markings are appropriate for this type of object, then please ignore what I said above.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

In the case of the potato bridge it is not burning a site since it is a legal site.
But I agree, with respect to all that knew Girlfalldown, I would think there are better ways to keep her in your memory then to put tags or stickers on sites.
BASE sites are not airplanes, we try not to leave any traces, even if it is an legal object like TF.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

BASE sites are not airplanes, we try not to leave any traces, even if it is an legal object like TF.

In 99.9% of cases I would agree. But it was placed on the outside of the railing on purpose. The skydiving sticker above it has been there forever.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I hope to get up there around Thanksgiving while I'm in Utah. I won't be jumping, but I'll be sending Shannon some love in my special way.

((((((HUGS)))))

xoxo g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Someone wrote a "crude" memorial on the bridge railing, pic attached. I tagged it with one of the "Memorial" stickers earlier this week, but somebody peeled it the next day. Some folks are just jerks

Did you ever think perhaps they thought you were the jerk for putting YOUR sticker over THEIR "crude" memorial?

What is the difference between writing RIP Shannon and slapping a sticker on the bridge? How is one more crude than the other?

Sorry dude, but you shouldn't have done what you did. Someone wrote that there for a reason, who are you to come along and cover it up?

In 99.9% of cases I would agree. But it was placed on the outside of the railing on purpose. The skydiving sticker above it has been there forever.

Was the skydiving sticker left in place when the other one was peeled off?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sorry dude, but you shouldn't have done what you did. Someone wrote that there for a reason, who are you to come along and cover it up?

It may be that I'm just more familiar with the object, but it's pretty obvious from the photos that he didn't place his sticker over the sharpie writing. The writing was on the top of the handrail, the photo shows his sticker placed on the outside of one of the uprights.

Note that I'm not saying that either was a particularly good idea, but I'm not out there removing them either.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What does "burning an object" mean?

Short definition: Anything that makes it harder for other jumpers to access the site for jumping purposes.

In most cases, bringing publicity to a site makes it harder for others to jump it (because many sites are less than legal). In this case, the poster is saying that putting tags or other marks on the bridge is likely to be interpreted by local authorities as graffiti, and as a case of "them darn BASE jumpers" not respecting the local people or their (collective) property, the bridge. This makes it more likely that local authorities will ban (or otherwise regulate) jumping, to the detriment of jumpers generally.

More on BASE ethics generally, and site burning (as a subset thereof) can be read here. Additional articles on BASE ethics are in the same library, here and here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In the case of the potato bridge it is not burning a site since it is a legal site.

In my opinion, legal sites are more susceptible to burning. After all, they can't make an illegal site illegal again--but the authorities could make jumping illegal at a site like the bridge, and that would be the ultimate instance of a burnt site.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Don't think only about this week - think 30-years into the future. If we stickered everyone it may start to be kind of grim out there.

When Perris put in that monstrosity of a memorial up after the Otter crash I had to walk past it with my students ten times a day and it was always a question they asked about. They finally took it out in favor of the small memorial park up by the ultralights.

A better thing for Shannon would be this. Off to the side of the LZ go ahead and plant Shannon's tree. It's probably illegal, so just go and do it at night like a real BASE jumper . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Off to the side of the LZ go ahead and plant Shannon's tree. It's probably illegal, so just go and do it at night like a real BASE jumper . . .

That brought a smile to my Face, Thanks Nick:D.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

The GFD sticker was removed by one of the local jumpers.

We (the local jumpers) try to remove trash, graffitti, etc, from the bridge and it's general area, including the landing area, the hiking trails, etc. The Skydive Lake Tahoe sticker has been on there for a long time, and is very difficult to remove (although one of the locals has been working at it for a while), but the GFD sticker was brand new, so it peeled off easily.

The jumper who removed the sticker didn't mean any offense or disrespect to Shannon's memory by doing so.

Stitch, I've forwarded his email explanation to your @dropzone.com address.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks. I PMed Nick this morning and said something about the idea of a permanent memorial in another place. There maybe a way to include the other jumpers we spoke about. I'll PM you later with the details.

In hindsight, Shannon and others deserve something more than a decal stuck on an object legal or not.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"