cjdskydiver

FAA Parachute Rigger Handbook

344 pages color. It might cost more in ink to print it at home than buy one. That is if you want a hard copy.

Of course I printed my at work just after they eliminated my job. took almost 1/2 hour on a laser color printer.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

One of the guys I am apprenticing under gave me a copy, along with the link if I wanted to download it...

Then I saw the ad for $85, and called him saying: "Did you give me a $85 book?"

He is a real generous guy and likes to pull my chains, so he said, "of course not, you are not worth that. I got it for free from the FAA, but now that you mention it, can I have $85...":P

The one I got for free was published by "U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration FAA-H-8083-17"

I looked online at the links from the FAA site where you can buy publications - and this one is curiously missing, but if you just search "8083" you get a bunch of publications that are very close to this one in number of pages, logos of DOT, etc - and they seem to cost $12 or so.... So I called the GPO (Government Printing Office) and confirmed that they don't stock it.

Anyone friends with their FSDO and wanna call to find out more? Yes, it can be printed on a color printer, but the bound version is really nice and helpful - but not worth the $85 that someone is selling it for - if I got mine for free. :)

Oops, sorry about that. I'd been meaning to post this since I found out about it a year ago. I had an epiphany last night. Guess I should have done some due-diligence first and searched to see if it had already be posted.

I wanna be a moderator, if I grow up... ;o)

No biggie. There are a chunk of posts missing from the Search Posts function, roughly from Jan to Mar 2006. councilman24's original post (which has the most information, I think) was caught up in that black hole. I found it by looking back through the pages of the G&R Forum to posts made during that timeframe.

In this case I just threw those posts up there so you could do some more reading about the document itself.

Cheers,
Arrive Safely

John

I got it for free from the FAA...

Each of the FSDOs got two copies free from the original printing, bound like any paperback book. I wouldn't expect to see many more "free" copies floating around, and the newer spiral-bound verson works better as a shop reference: folds flat, binding won't break, etc.

Mark

I really like to just keep it in its electronic formatt. So I can read it from my home PC or laptop.

As most of the other manula are avaiable on line I now have my manuals at a click of a mouse. Of course I double maintain files on the hard drive, my seagate exteral and my little usb zip strip. Of course once and a while Ill further go on to make a CD.

i could not see spending 85 dollars for soemthing you can just down load. Plus all the paper just makes a filing mess with too much other paper work.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

As far as I'm concerned, $85 for this book is a bargain!

I orginally got it as an electronic copy and printed it out (very costly in full color with high res photos) and had it spiral bound.

It has been invaluable as a training aid as I pursued my ticket and it is invaluable to have it immediately on hand, on the floor during a pack-job, on the sewing machine table during a patch, etc.

Maybe I am a dinosaur, but for a primary reference like this, I much prefer the hard copy. You should see mine - all tabbed out, cross-referenced and highlighted with notes in the margins - can't do that with a PDF file (at least not unless you want to pay for ADOBE Acrobat).

Great book, great reference, and no, I don't work for the FAA or USAPR!

http://www.usapr.com/

Blue skies,

Bill

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."